2024 Service Changes

Posted (edited)

I didn't see anything prior so I'm starting a NEW thread of "2024 Service Changes" starting with what I saw on the website.

***Let's try to keep ANY and ALL service changes on THIS thread if possible***

...and on that note, I see that this didn't take long (referring to the 62 service change)

Beginning on September 1st, the 62 will be extended to Hauppauge to "help" the 58 route. Are those Government buildings open on the weekends?

Click on the link to learn more on the 62 route extension...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Schedules/Route 62.pdf

Beginning on September 3rd, the 77Y route will be extended to "The Boulevard" in Yaphank.

Click on the ink to learn more on the 77Y route extension...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Schedules/Route 77Y.pdf

Beginning on September 4th, the 2, 3, 5 and 10 will have "temporary" bus stops at Babylon L.I.R.R. Station. This temporary project will last 8 months.

Click on the link to learn more on the platform construction project...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Notices/Babylon_LIRR_Temporary_Stops_Notice.pdf

Edited by The TransitMan

33 minutes ago, The TransitMan said:

Beginning on September 1st, the 62 will be extended to Hauppauge to "help" the 58 route.

I'd like to be more surprised by this, but the implication here is that the S62 ran to Hauppauge for a reason.

How much more can we expect the current network to unravel into something more closely resembling the old one?

2 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

I didn't see anything prior so I'm starting a NEW thread of "2024 Service Changes" starting with what I saw on the website.

***Let's try to keep ANY and ALL service changes on THIS thread if possible***

...and on that note, I see that this didn't take long (referring to the 62 service change)

Beginning on September 1st, the 62 will be extended to Hauppauge to "help" the 58 route. Are those Government buildings open on the weekends?

Click on the link to learn more on the 62 route extension...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Schedules/Route 62.pdf

Beginning on September 3rd, the 77Y route will be extended to "The Boulevard" in Yaphank.

Click on the ink to learn more on the 77Y route extension...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Schedules/Route 77Y.pdf

Beginning on September 4th, the 2, 3, 5 and 10 will have "temporary" bus stops at Babylon L.I.R.R. Station. This temporary project will last 8 months.

Click on the link to learn more on the platform construction project...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Notices/Babylon_LIRR_Temporary_Stops_Notice.pdf

This is a recently NEW development off William Floyd Pkwy north of the LIE. I really can't see the 77Y remaining a "peak only" service although it's a great idea if it serves the Yaphank Station along the way to Patchogue Station. 

For reference, that bus stop is almost a half mile from the WalMart, in the middle of the residential neighborhood: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bcyAMc2GxJXPy9N87

Better than nothing, but far from what it should be.

They should've also added stop in the general vicinity of the Yaphank County offices and the LIRR station (You would think a transit agency would at least bother to run service near its own headquarters...the S71 used to stop by the Board of Elections office): https://maps.app.goo.gl/g2mrGdSpBNLs3ESQ9

On 8/31/2024 at 3:04 PM, Lex said:

How much more can we expect the current network to unravel into something more closely resembling the old one?

Probably a few tinkerings here & there will be the extent of it.

No way they'll come all that close to flipping the script on this frequency modeled network for the formerly more coverage-based network....

On 8/31/2024 at 3:14 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

If they're extending the 62, then it very likely means the 58 reroute/diversion to Brentwood is booming. They're likely extending it so that people making transfers at Hauppauge and along NY-347 don't get passed up. 

...and of said booming, a sizable portion of people coming off WB #58's are xferring to SB #7's or 11's (even moreso than for #4's or 5's) at Brentwood.

I'd say this extension is an attempt at decreasing the number of folks from points east riding out to Brentwood in-particular on the #58... Of course, this could also have something to do with directly connecting riders east of Smith Haven on the #62 to the NYS Office Bldg (which the current #58 doesn't serve)....

IDK, but something tells me SCT may be looking to have both the #58 & the #62 ending at the NYS Office Bldg. some time in the future.... Even though it benefits current riders, now that it's coming up on a full year of this new network, I don't think SCT's all that wild about all that revenue mileage on the #58 b/w Brentwood & Riverhead....

The real issue as I see it is that the #62's riderbase (especially when compared to the #58, whose is actually on an uptick b/w Coram & just short of Riverhead) outside of Riverhead is embarrassingly low... I understand why they originally wanted to axe the thing, but I will still say that I'm glad that they kept it.... At the same time though, running it to Hauppauge I don't really see ultimately doing much for it....

On 8/31/2024 at 5:01 PM, The TransitMan said:

This is a recently NEW development off William Floyd Pkwy north of the LIE. I really can't see the 77Y remaining a "peak only" service although it's a great idea if it serves the Yaphank Station along the way to Patchogue Station. 

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

For reference, that bus stop is almost a half mile from the WalMart, in the middle of the residential neighborhood: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bcyAMc2GxJXPy9N87

Better than nothing, but far from what it should be.

If the idea is to transport those people in those apartments to/from the city, they'd need at least 1 trip arriving at LIRR Patchogue earlier than the earliest 77Y trip in the morning  reaches it (6:55a).... Said 77Y trip in question would have it just missing the 6:49a train... Next train from Patchogue is at 7:28a, which'd have folks reaching the city minutes to 9... That's not gonna cut it.

They're better off trying to increase farebox revenue by a] serving that Wal-mart & b] doing so, outside of just peak hours.

10 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They should've also added stop in the general vicinity of the Yaphank County offices and the LIRR station (You would think a transit agency would at least bother to run service near its own headquarters...the S71 used to stop by the Board of Elections office): https://maps.app.goo.gl/g2mrGdSpBNLs3ESQ9

As further evidenced here.

On 9/2/2024 at 1:22 PM, B35 via Church said:

If the idea is to transport those people in those apartments to/from the city, they'd need at least 1 trip arriving at LIRR Patchogue earlier than the earliest 77Y trip in the morning  reaches it (6:55a).... Said 77Y trip in question would have it just missing the 6:49a train... Next train from Patchogue is at 7:28a, which'd have folks reaching the city minutes to 9... That's not gonna cut it.

They're better off trying to increase farebox revenue by a] serving that Wal-mart & b] doing so, outside of just peak hours.

As further evidenced here.

One of the things that irks me about the way they advertised the new system is that they said the span of service would be 5am - 10pm on weekdays, 6am - 10pm on Saturdays, and 6am - 8pm on Sundays. To me, as a passenger, that means that buses are leaving their terminals around that time. To them, as the operator, that means "Buses are kind of generally going to be on the road at those times". You notice on most routes, they play fast and loose with those timings (to me, the 77/77Y is basically a 5:30am - 9:30pm route on the weekdays).

So yeah, a 5:05am trip would definitely help get Manhattan-bound commuters (along the whole route, including North Bellport) to work earlier. The way it's set up, the only Manhattan-bound commuter who can practically use it is somebody who works a strict 9am - 5pm schedule in the immediate vicinity of Penn Station or Grand Central.

Adding the stop at the Yaphank Board of Elections offices would also help anybody who wished to use the Main Line as part of their commute (they would basically save a half hour in both directions...obviously making the transfer at Yaphank is much less intuitive and inviting than making it at Patchogue, but at least the option is there for those who choose to use it...the primary customers would be anybody who works in that area who wants to take the bus (or if a member of the public can time their appointment around the bus schedule, it might work for them).

On 9/2/2024 at 1:22 PM, B35 via Church said:

...and of said booming, a sizable portion of people coming off WB #58's are xferring to SB #7's or 11's (even moreso than for #4's or 5's) at Brentwood.

How far east are those passengers riding? Would it be worth cutting 58 back to Smith Haven Mall in favor of extending 11?

On 9/4/2024 at 12:49 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

One of the things that irks me about the way they advertised the new system is that they said the span of service would be 5am - 10pm on weekdays, 6am - 10pm on Saturdays, and 6am - 8pm on Sundays. To me, as a passenger, that means that buses are leaving their terminals around that time. To them, as the operator, that means "Buses are kind of generally going to be on the road at those times". You notice on most routes, they play fast and loose with those timings (to me, the 77/77Y is basically a 5:30am - 9:30pm route on the weekdays).

So yeah, a 5:05am trip would definitely help get Manhattan-bound commuters (along the whole route, including North Bellport) to work earlier. The way it's set up, the only Manhattan-bound commuter who can practically use it is somebody who works a strict 9am - 5pm schedule in the immediate vicinity of Penn Station or Grand Central.

When the service span of routes in a bus system are posted for the public, that's exactly what it's supposed to entail - the time the first trip of the day & the time the last trip of the day in their respective directions leaves their respective terminals.... To include DH time in revenue hour operations is disgustingly misleading....

On 9/4/2024 at 5:46 AM, Gotham Bus Co said:

How far east are those passengers riding? Would it be worth cutting 58 back to Smith Haven Mall in favor of extending 11?

They're riding well past Smith Haven... FWIW, I will admit that there's generally more riding through Smith Haven with this new network, compared to the old network; the #51 is a large reason for that.....

With that said, yes, I'm still a proponent of doing away with the current interlining of #11's & #17's all day to send the #11 to Smith Haven... Unlike the #11, the #17 simply doesn't warrant service every 30 mins. on weekdays.... While I agree with scaling the #58 & the #62 back to Smith Haven to also have the #11 end there, I'm of the belief that SCT's trying to refrain from having a bunch of buses ending at Smith Haven.....

To sum it up, even though this new network offers much less county-wide coverage than the old network, there are parts of this new network I still find to be quite wasteful - and having #62's now run to the NYS Office Bldg. along Smithtown Bypass (regardless if it's for reasons myself or @BM5 via Woodhaven surmises or not) only adds to it....

• 2 weeks later...

From the Suffolk Transit website...

Beginning Sunday September 29th, Route 10 will no longer operate along Little East Neck Road and Herzel Boulevard in West Babylon. Instead, it will serve new stops along NYS 109 Babylon-Farmingdale Turnpike between Little East Neck Road and Herzel Boulevard. Service along the rest of the route between Amityville LIRR and Babylon LIRR remains unchanged. See the updated schedule here for more information...https://sctbus.org/Portals/32/Notices/Route_10_Service_Change_Notice.pdf

Thoughts?