Requirements for Next Train Operator Exam

jayE

Try to take various TA exams and while waiting to get called. Try to go to trade school or go to college in the meantime. Just in case MTA doesn’t work out, you got something to fall back on. If you have your driver’s license, try to get your CDL

34 minutes ago, jayE said:

Yea most likely if I don’t get it I’ll either try conductor or I’ll probably try Amtrak ? Anyone know if Amtrak is easy?

Try to get into the MTA commuter railroads, the benefits are better and the pay is only slightly lower than Amtrak (still a good deal considering Amtrak doesn't offer a pension). 

On 9/3/2024 at 6:40 PM, danielhg121 said:

Try to get into the MTA commuter railroads, the benefits are better and the pay is only slightly lower than Amtrak (still a good deal considering Amtrak doesn't offer a pension). 

What’s the commuter railroads ? MNRR/LIRR?

I’m a bit late to the party with thread recommendations… but The Schoolcar Experience is about 100 pages worth of information you might find useful. It’s all about the training process, while some of the testimonials are a bit old, and things may have changed. I think it’s still worth the read

Just now, jayE said:

anyone sure if the "Surfing Through Transit Exams: Your Guide to NYC Civil Service" book is good?? for helping me prepare for the next train operator test?

and also! What does the book even contain? whats the contents of it

20 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

That is the LAST thing anyone should be titling a book connected to the subway right now…

I was just laughing at that....

The RTO that is in place now most likely WILL NOT BE the RTO that will be in place when they get around to folks in thier teens and 20s who want a job here.

The state is trying their best to get rid of civil service that why me and a bunch of us Tier four folks in the Next two to three years are going to run out of here..

New Tech is changing things.. As well as work rules they are trying sooo hard for the union to OK..

No im not going to discuss that here.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:09 AM, jayE said:

anyone sure if the "Surfing Through Transit Exams: Your Guide to NYC Civil Service" book is good?? for helping me prepare for the next train operator test?

Dont even bother with that book..

You'll get more useful info here than anything that book has to offer regarding RTO or the MTA job wise.

10 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

I was just laughing at that....

The RTO that is in place now most likely WILL NOT BE the RTO that will be in place when they get around to folks in thier teens and 20s who want a job here.

The state is trying their best to get rid of civil service that why me and a bunch of us Tier four folks in the Next two to three years are going to run out of here..

New Tech is changing things.. As well as work rules they are trying sooo hard for the union to OK..

No im not going to discuss that here.

Oh do what your saying is there might not be another civil service exam due to the way kids(teens) act by surfing and vandalizing trains etc.

10 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Dont even bother with that book..

You'll get more useful info here than anything that book has to offer regarding RTO or the MTA job wise.

Yea but I heard it gives you a probable insight on what the test might have to offer! And I don’t want to sit here and ask everyone questions that’s was on the test or what it was like

I was told by someone there’s going to be algebra on the test like solve for y or something and decimal points, fractions but then you guys are telling me it’s going to be basic math such my terms of basic math is Subtraction, Addition, division, and multiplication I also heard I’m going to have to learn how to add volts, watts and amps for the test is this even true I thought the test was basic 

5 hours ago, jayE said:

Yea but I heard it gives you a probable insight on what the test might have to offer! And I don’t want to sit here and ask everyone questions that’s was on the test or what it was like

I was told by someone there’s going to be algebra on the test like solve for y or something and decimal points, fractions but then you guys are telling me it’s going to be basic math such my terms of basic math is Subtraction, Addition, division, and multiplication I also heard I’m going to have to learn how to add volts, watts and amps for the test is this even true I thought the test was basic 

Never listen to anyone who isn’t involved.. Rule number one…

5 hours ago, jayE said:

Oh do what your saying is there might not be another civil service exam due to the way kids(teens) act by surfing and vandalizing trains etc.

No what I’m saying is the RTO I know now most likely won’t be the RTO that’s say five ten years down the line…Which god willing in two years three months won’t be my issue…

9 hours ago, jayE said:

He said he took the test! He didn’t take the train operator test but he took one of the other mta test 

Every Test is different.

Hence me saying what i said.

He dont even know what the next test entails neither do any of us here.

Up to you if you want to take his word im just giving advice.