Requirements for Next Train Operator Exam

jayE

I seen this book to! I also seen this book for a higher price but don't know what's the difference exactly? 

What are the contents the book supposed to stimulate? me taking the test or to help me prepare for the test? does it have answers that will be similar that's on the test?

So many questions because as I said before I want to be prepared as possible in the right way.

Did the book help you?

5 hours ago, Bx6Select1010 said:

Hello, I’m a fellow individual who is currently 17, turning 18 in March and took the conductor exam back in April. I’m curious to know since I’m expected to graduate in June 2025. Is the chance getting called before that time period high or low. I’m also on the same road as jayE and I want to become a train operator so I don’t want to jeopardize on getting my foot into the door.

apologize for my name, I made the account when I was in MS and I don’t want to appear as a buff because of the rep that they have lol. 

More than likely it won’t happen regardless of how you scored. I took the last open competitive exam for conductor and with 1 question wrong it was about a 2 year wait to get hired because they had to establish the list but I was in one of the first classes. Hopefully in your case you scored well.

To the original poster I read your thread and if I may offer some personal advice if becoming a T/O is your ultimate goal I’d say go for it & in the mean time take exams for other positions within transit so that by the time the next T/O test comes around you’ll be eligible for it via promotion as opposed to taking an open competitive. When promotional and open competitive exams for the same title come out they must consider hiring the promotional first regardless of their score before they get to the open competitive exam. There’s always exams out for Bus Operator & that’s a title that’s eligible to promote to T/O + you can start building your pension and making $$ in the meantime while you wait. 

21 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

That can only happen under one circumstance, where you are on a board job, and you pick up the individual trips. 

under normal circumstances, jobs are one line. 

ohhh okay makes sense this goes back to what you said about the 1 trip jobs where you take the train to 1 terminal instead of round trip if that makes sense basically a half trip

3 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

More than likely it won’t happen regardless of how you scored. I took the last open competitive exam for conductor and with 1 question wrong it was about a 2 year wait to get hired because they had to establish the list but I was in one of the first classes. Hopefully in your case you scored well.

To the original poster I read your thread and if I may offer some personal advice if becoming a T/O is your ultimate goal I’d say go for it & in the mean time take exams for other positions within transit so that by the time the next T/O test comes around you’ll be eligible for it via promotion as opposed to taking an open competitive. When promotional and open competitive exams for the same title come out they must consider hiring the promotional first regardless of their score before they get to the open competitive exam. There’s always exams out for Bus Operator & that’s a title that’s eligible to promote to T/O + you can start building your pension and making $$ in the meantime while you wait. 

He took the test when he was 17?!?! that means I could've taken the Train Operator test when I was 17 because I turn 18 before him I most likely would not had gotten called until a few years later by that time I would've had all the requirements??!?!

Also is it possible a 20 year old can be operating trains? or only 21 and above

3 minutes ago, jayE said:

ohhh okay makes sense this goes back to what you said about the 1 trip jobs where you take the train to 1 terminal instead of round trip if that makes sense basically a half trip

"Trip" can be used to refer to a single one way trip ("my next trip is in 20 minutes") and it can be used to refer to a full round trip (this job makes two trips). it's all context. 

There have been circumstances where you could make a singular one way trip, but those are in thrown together circumstances. 

For example, I was on a Board job, waiting around down at Stillwell.

they tell me they are sending it me to make a one way trip on the Q for one of the supplemental schedule jobs, IE a job that started with a 6 (because it was a PM job), 

The Q was single tracking between 57th/7 and 72nd/2nd. so and the evening died down, some trains were turning around at 57th street having come from Brooklyn.

I got meet the train at 57th street (with a pit stop at City Hall Master Tower to sign into the job) and then I went back to waiting. 

one other thing I should mention, it is possible to work more than one line in a day, but this is by YOUR decision, if you request voluntary overtime. you can say "hey, if you need someone to make another trip, here I am..." and they can send you to pick up one other trip, they can theoretically send you for almost and entire job...

Like, New Years Day, this year, I worked a job on the L. someone made a mistake and long story short, they were short handed going into the overnight hours. I ended up putting about 13 hours on the clock, which with overtime and holiday working bonuses, turned into about 24 hours worth of pay. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

"Trip" can be used to refer to a single one way trip ("my next trip is in 20 minutes") and it can be used to refer to a full round trip (this job makes two trips). it's all context. 

There have been circumstances where you could make a singular one way trip, but those are in thrown together circumstances. 

For example, I was on a Board job, waiting around down at Stillwell.

they tell me they are sending it me to make a one way trip on the Q for one of the supplemental schedule jobs, IE a job that started with a 6 (because it was a PM job), 

The Q was single tracking between 57th/7 and 72nd/2nd. so and the evening died down, some trains were turning around at 57th street having come from Brooklyn.

I got meet the train at 57th street (with a pit stop at City Hall Master Tower to sign into the job) and then I went back to waiting. 

one other thing I should mention, it is possible to work more than one line in a day, but this is by YOUR decision, if you request voluntary overtime. you can say "hey, if you need someone to make another trip, here I am..." and they can send you to pick up one other trip, they can theoretically send you for almost and entire job...

Like, New Years Day, this year, I worked a job on the L. someone made a mistake and long story short, they were short handed going into the overnight hours. I ended up putting about 13 hours on the clock, which with overtime and holiday working bonuses, turned into about 24 hours worth of pay. 

Wow! thats awesome man!  I can't wait to get into MTA! like this just makes me wanna get into it more when you signup is there a chance they will put you in SIRR? I don't wanna be there but if I have to be then I don't mind! 
Also! do you operate the work trains? Such as Garbage train, The work cars, and the VACTRAK

11 hours ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Noted, if I recall. I had a 96-97 for the C/R and for JayE. You could take the exams at any age, I believe you just have to be 18 or have all of the requirements by the time you get called.(any current employees could correct/confirm this). The track worker exam comes out in October so that could give you a chance to get your foot into the door. 

Edited by Bx6Select1010

2 hours ago, jayE said:

BRO WHAT!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW THISSS!!!!!!! I SHOULD'VE TAKEN THE TRAIN OPERATOR EXAM 

smhhhh I messed up but thank you for letting me know! whats the requirements for track worker?

It’s okay, you got mad time. According to the requirements for the last track worker exam. There was no requirements but that could change. Hope that isn’t the case for this one lol. 

2 hours ago, jayE said:

BRO WHAT!!!! I DIDN'T KNOW THISSS!!!!!!! I SHOULD'VE TAKEN THE TRAIN OPERATOR EXAM 

As per the Guidelines of the website, if you can refrain from posting in CAPITAL LETTERS, it would be appreciated. In lieu of doing this, if you place several exclamation points (!!!) at the end of your sentence, we will know how you felt when you typed your post.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, jayE said:

Wow! thats awesome man!  I can't wait to get into MTA! like this just makes me wanna get into it more when you signup is there a chance they will put you in SIRR? I don't wanna be there but if I have to be then I don't mind! 
Also! do you operate the work trains? Such as Garbage train, The work cars, and the VACTRAK

Non-revenue equipment is handled by "C Division" personnel. to my knowledge few if anyone posting here has ever spent time there. Most of us employees who post here are "Revenue Vehicle" crews on the A and B divisions. 

5 hours ago, +Young+ said:

As per the Guidelines of the website, if you can refrain from posting in CAPITAL LETTERS, it would be appreciated. In lieu of doing this, if you place several exclamation points (!!!) at the end of your sentence, we will know how you felt when you typed your post.

Thank you.

Apologize for that won’t happen again

43 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Non-revenue equipment is handled by "C Division" personnel. to my knowledge few if anyone posting here has ever spent time there. Most of us employees who post here are "Revenue Vehicle" crews on the A and B divisions. 

Oh I’m gonna apply for track worker or something else that’s out right now to try and get my foot in the door I don’t think there gonna call me back for a while so yk? Also I’m 17

6 hours ago, Bx6Select1010 said:

It’s okay, you got mad time. According to the requirements for the last track worker exam. There was no requirements but that could change. Hope that isn’t the case for this one lol. 

I should’ve taken the test still you were 17 when you took the mta test? Like the in person test how was it? 

48 minutes ago, jayE said:

I should’ve taken the test still you were 17 when you took the mta test? Like the in person test how was it? 

From my personal experience, it wasn’t bad. If you take the time to understand the questions given in the exam. It would come by easy and most of the questions, the answer is right in front of you. It’s really reading comprehension and common sense.

1 hour ago, jayE said:

What was one of the question on the test? so I can get a glimpse of like what you mean by common sense 

Although it is extremely hard to duplicate one of the questions from the actual Open-Competitive Civil Service Train Operator Examination, I would initially encourage you to look at three [3] sample exams that are geared towards the Police Officer Examination, which can be found herehere and here. Note that the topics that you will be tested on can be found in the Notice of Examination, which can be found here. In addition, if you purchase this book, there are also practice tests in there as well for the position of Conductor and Train Operator as well, which are the closest to what you will see on the actual examination.

Good luck!!

14 minutes ago, jayE said:

The PO exam seems more for PO? and it seems kinda hard are you sure this is what the MTA train operator exam is gon b like

Almost all of the open competitive tests for almost all civil service positions are going to be common sense, reading comprehension and basic intelligence.  You do not need any special knowledge for the police officer, fireman, sanitation, conductor or train operator.  The respective agencies will assume you know nothing at all about the position you are applying for.  They will train you for that particular job in their own way.  The civil service test shows them that you possess the ability to absorb and learn the job once they hire you.  I have taken many various exams over the years and have found that I got better each time that I took them.  I would suggest taking the police exam and fireman exam for the experience, even if you are not at all that interested in those jobs.  Someone in a previous post suggested that you join the military in the meantime.  Do 4 years in the army ,navy, air force ,marines etc and you will gain great benefits in experience.  If a civil service exam pops up while you are doing your enlistment sometimes you can take leave and come back, take the exam and perhaps have a job waiting for you when your enlistment is up.  Just making a suggestion .   An honorable discharge is something that almost all employers look very favorably on..Good luck to you Jay.

10 hours ago, vance said:

Almost all of the open competitive tests for almost all civil service positions are going to be common sense, reading comprehension and basic intelligence.  You do not need any special knowledge for the police officer, fireman, sanitation, conductor or train operator.  The respective agencies will assume you know nothing at all about the position you are applying for.  They will train you for that particular job in their own way.  The civil service test shows them that you possess the ability to absorb and learn the job once they hire you.  I have taken many various exams over the years and have found that I got better each time that I took them.  I would suggest taking the police exam and fireman exam for the experience, even if you are not at all that interested in those jobs.  Someone in a previous post suggested that you join the military in the meantime.  Do 4 years in the army ,navy, air force ,marines etc and you will gain great benefits in experience.  If a civil service exam pops up while you are doing your enlistment sometimes you can take leave and come back, take the exam and perhaps have a job waiting for you when your enlistment is up.  Just making a suggestion .   An honorable discharge is something that almost all employers look very favorably on..Good luck to you Jay.

Yes I know but I’m just scared they’re gonna ask about fractions and decimals I’m horrible at them and percentages to fractions I can probably handle but the rest is scary 

1 hour ago, jayE said:

Yes I know but I’m just scared they’re gonna ask about fractions and decimals I’m horrible at them and percentages to fractions I can probably handle but the rest is scary 

When i took the exam, there was like one math question and it’s simple math too. Don’t over complicate. You got this