Congestion Pricing Postponed?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2024 at 9:47 AM, Gotham Bus Co said:

The opposition is based primarily on Robert Moses' policy that "cities exist ONLY to be conduits for suburban traffic" (and thus are not entitled to their own viability).

You definitely summed up his mindset. His pet projects were ways to get traffic moving in and out of the city proper with little to no regard for the city residents or their neighborhoods. Look no further than the Cross Bronx or Sheridan and compare them to the Northern, Southern State, Meadowbrook, Sagtikos-Sunken Meadow parkways.. Neighborhoods were destroyed when the former were built while low bridges were constructed along the latter to keep the city folks from using buses to travel to places like Sunken Meadow or what is now the Robert Moses State Park.  The more I read about him over the years I can't imagine he became celebrated. It took two more powerful men to kick him to the curb. Governor Nelson Rockefeller and the Chairman of Chase Bank David Rockefeller. One had political power and the other controlled the bonds that back these projects. Money talks. My recollections. Carry on.

8 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You definitely summed up his mindset. 

That was more than just his "mindset" — he actually said that on the record during the hearings for the Cross Bronx Expressway. 

Of course, he chose an alignment that maximized the number of displaced households, which then maximized the funding available for displaced households (which somehow never made it to the displaced households).