Amtrak employee on the NYC MTA Subway

Gintz

Hey there,

I work for Amtrak and I know we make deals for other transit employees on our regional trains, and that some shortlines give us discounts.  I'll be going up to NY to go to LaGuardia airport soon.  I'm taking the regional from New Carrollton to Moynihan using my Amtrak ID for a flash pass, and was planning on taking the E line from Penn Station to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave then hopping the buss into LaGuardia from there.  Are there any discounts or "professional courtesies" we offer each other for Amtrak employees riding the MTA, or should I just go ahead and buy the tickets ahead of time?  Thanks for any info you can give me, and have a safe day!

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

honestly, even our internal MTA ability to use other sections of our agency's network are a complicated mess as to who gets to do what where and when...

though, for the record, I should point out that the Q70SBS to the airport is free for everyone at all times anyway...

There were talks of having just one MTA pass where it just says MTA (no agency or anything) at the top but I'm not sure if that's a rumor and even if true, probably won't be implemented till years later. This was told to us by one of the heads of security. Seeing that our respective passes are tied into timekeeping and such, they probably want to avoid the whole headache lol.  

10 hours ago, Gintz said:

Hey there,

I work for Amtrak and I know we make deals for other transit employees on our regional trains, and that some shortlines give us discounts.  I'll be going up to NY to go to LaGuardia airport soon.  I'm taking the regional from New Carrollton to Moynihan using my Amtrak ID for a flash pass, and was planning on taking the E line from Penn Station to Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave then hopping the buss into LaGuardia from there.  Are there any discounts or "professional courtesies" we offer each other for Amtrak employees riding the MTA, or should I just go ahead and buy the tickets ahead of time?  Thanks for any info you can give me, and have a safe day!

You'd have better luck getting a courtesy from the LIRR going to Woodside for the Q70 than the (E). I've heard that the mainline railroads usually let employees from other railroads go for free when in uniform, but even then it's not a guarantee. You can buy a city ticket for $5 and a peak city ticket for $7. Often times the train is so busy you don't even get checked before getting to Woodside. 

4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Personally, I'd double check with the conductor before the train leaves Penn but they're hard to find sometimes. Even a ticket collector would probably give an okay till Woodside. 

Absolutely this. It’s an “unspoken” rule that before you just get on the train to find a conductor and ask. Especially if the train is going to be super busy.