R46 Retirement Thread

zacster

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/26/2024 at 9:44 AM, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I assume this is the number of four-car sets, as 32 four-car sets would be 128 cars or 16 full-length trains.

No, I think it’s 32 full length trains - 256 cars left at Pitkin. Pitkin started with 356 (Coney Island with 392). There’s still about 12 R46 trains running on the (C) and 15 R46 trains rolling on the (A) during weekdays, not including the spares

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

No, I think it’s 32 full length trains - 256 cars left at Pitkin. Pitkin started with 356 (Coney Island with 392). There’s still about 12 R46 trains running on the (C) and 15 R46 trains rolling on the (A) during weekdays, not including the spares

But the thing is, there are roughly 240 R211A's (24 trains) in service at the moment and 200 more (20 trains) are needed to complete the R211A part of the base order (440 cars or 44 trains). If there are 32 full-length R46 trains left at Pitkin, simple math shows that the remaining 200 wouldn't be enough to replace all of them.

I'm starting to get a bit confused by all of this. Please tell me if I got anything wrong…

2 hours ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

But the thing is, there are roughly 240 R211A's (24 trains) in service at the moment and 200 more (20 trains) are needed to complete the R211A part of the base order (440 cars or 44 trains). If there are 32 full-length R46 trains left at Pitkin, simple math shows that the remaining 200 wouldn't be enough to replace all of them.

I'm starting to get a bit confused by all of this. Please tell me if I got anything wrong…

I meant to say roughly 15 (A) and 12 (C)s are R46s because some of the R211s might be out due to CBTC testing in Queens, and remember that the first 120 or so R211s technically replaced the R32s and buffed the spare factor for the B division (excluding Queens Blvd), so you’ll need 100 or so cars from option 1 to fully replace all the SMEE trains from Pitkin and keep the current spare factor, but could be reduced down to 50 cars from option 1. If it was just a one-for-one replacement of R46s, then the base order covers it, but remember that the R32 retirement and the now buffed midday schedule now requires a higher spare factor for each service.

However, soon due to the abundance of R211A cars on the (A), there will be very few R46s left to run on the 168 St (A) trips every rush hour from Far Rockaway to switch to the (C) for midday service, then back to the (A) for rush hour service to Rockaway Park, and some R211A cars will have to start running regularly on the (C). I wouldn’t be surprised if the next 8 consecutive R211s start service on the (C) to allow the midday/rush hour flip-flop between the (A) and (C) since the R179 10-car units right now cannot run on the (C) due to 8-car R179s on the (C) and the potential for stopping marker mixups. Can someone please confirm or comment on this. 

44 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

This may sound stupid but why can’t the (C) be out of Pitkin since they have space for 10 car sets?

the yard physically does not have enough space to store all (A) AND (C) trains

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

the R179 10-car units right now cannot run on the (C) due to 8-car R179s on the (C) and the potential for stopping marker mixups.

I know we’re going off topic here, but the operating screens in the cabs would inform both the T/O and conductor about the length of the train being operated, so I don’t think stopping marker mix-ups would be a problem.

Anyways, returning to the topic of R46’s, have there been any more recent transfers or retirements?

1 hour ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I know we’re going off topic here, but the operating screens in the cabs would inform both the T/O and conductor about the length of the train being operated, so I don’t think stopping marker mix-ups would be a problem.

Anyways, returning to the topic of R46’s, have there been any more recent transfers or retirements?

Butting in here, the railroads have the same thing and yet engineers with their crew of conductors and assistants can still mess up and hang doors off the platform. Yes, you can still screw up even though the correct information is right in front of you. How hard would it take to double check your consist has been uttered for millenia and people will still mess it up. There's more at stake in regards to the subway because people love to lean on subway doors so if they do open up accidentally, MTA is more likely to get a lawsuit. Think about how many times transit makes (2) trains skip South Ferry Loop (when it was it in service) or 145th Street on the (3) simply because they didn't want to take a chance for the conductor to pop open the wrong sets of doors. 

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Butting in here, the railroads have the same thing and yet engineers with their crew of conductors and assistants can still mess up and hang doors off the platform. Yes, you can still screw up even though the correct information is right in front of you. How hard would it take to double check your consist has been uttered for millenia and people will still mess it up. There's more at stake in regards to the subway because people love to lean on subway doors so if they do open up accidentally, MTA is more likely to get a lawsuit. Think about how many times transit makes (2) trains skip South Ferry Loop (when it was it in service) or 145th Street on the (3) simply because they didn't want to take a chance for the conductor to pop open the wrong sets of doors. 

Exactly. When trains get rerouted (particularly on the A division), stations like 145 St and South Ferry loop get skipped by those rerouted trains because transit believed that only crews for that stations home line are properly trained and accustomed to opening doors at those stations and don’t want to risk a lawsuit by having one operator that just happened to forget the operating procedures and opens the wrong doors for these stations. Best alternative is to have the stations skipped 

2 hours ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

Since the R46s are officially retiring now, somethings gonna have to eventually replace the R46s on the (N)(Q)(W), and that will most likely be R68s from the (B) and (D), but then what will those lines get in return for the lost 68/As

Some said concourse was supposed to get R211s but others said Jamaica will get R211s and push the R160s to Concourse and Coney Island, so too soon to tell.