Train Operator Exam # 4605 (Open-Competitive)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BayArea said:

The answer key has been posted even tho it does still says they are working on it. I got 5 questions wrong, is that bad ?

Where have the answer key been posted 

10 minutes ago, mastap123 said:

Where have the answer key been posted 

Look up mta answer keys, it’ll show all the proposed keys for all test, then you can do find in page and type train operator or just scroll all the way down and look for 4605 and the day you took it.

On 5/19/2024 at 5:42 PM, vance said:

Track maps were difficult.  I am not sure how I did as the questions were tricky and in my opinion,  there was not enough time to recheck my answers.  I ended up going right up to the final bell.  I don't know how some people got up and left after an hour unless they just gave up and filled in the dots eeney, meeney, miney, moe.   Perhaps they were just very intelligent.

Yes the maps were difficult.   Six questions. 

Instead of using lines to represent tracks, they showed tracks as two rails with ties.   This made the map too elaborate for too small of a page.  Someone just wanted to show off their computer skills I guess.   

Too much information on one page resulted in small,  hard to read print,  

It was basically "yard moves", or "transfers".  If a tower operator took the test they had an advantage. 

Whoever wrote the test has a sense of humor.  Real Train Operator names were used.   The question about a T/O who finds a lost child on the 7 line, either at 82, or 90, is really a  T/O on the line.

Another question about a T/O who finds a skateboard under a seat at Woodlawn, is also the name of a senior T/O.

56 minutes ago, Myrtle Middle Track said:

Instead of using lines to represent tracks, they showed tracks as two rails with ties.   This made the map too elaborate for too small of a page.  Someone just wanted to show off their computer skills I guess.   

It was basically "yard moves", or "transfers".  If a tower operator took the test they had an advantage. 

Whoever wrote the test has a sense of humor.  Real Train Operator names were used.   The question about a T/O who finds a lost child on the 7 line, either at 82, or 90, is really a  T/O on the line.

Another question about a T/O who finds a skateboard under a seat at Woodlawn, is also the name of a senior T/O.

The question about the lost child showed up on the conductor exam aswell. Apparently it must have been a big thing for them to put it on both exams

1 hour ago, Myrtle Middle Track said:

The trick with the map questions was seeing through the bs and realizing that those questions were testing if you knew north, south, east and west. There was a lot of wording but that’s all they were asking. Being a TO would be an advantage because you’re familiar with the movement of trains but if you have a strong sense of cardinal direction you’d be fine. 

1 hour ago, Steve said:

The question about the lost child showed up on the conductor exam aswell. Apparently it must have been a big thing for them to put it on both exams

Now that I think about it, it was the Conductor who found the lost child on the 7 line  and notified Train Operator F******.  

It must be important indeed.  

37 minutes ago, TNTF said:

The trick with the map questions was seeing through the bs and realizing that those questions were testing if you knew north, south, east and west. There was a lot of wording but that’s all they were asking. Being a TO would be an advantage because you’re familiar with the movement of trains but if you have a strong sense of cardinal direction you’d be fine. 

Each of the six map questions took up 1/2 page.   They required lots of reading and page flipping.  The map itself was poorly designed with small print, and the representation of tracks(instead of a line, it was two rails and ties.  Odd).

5 hours ago, krishna said:

Hey I looked at the proposed answer key and I only got 1 wrong. Do you guys know how long it would take before I get called?

They’re still calling from the last open competitive exam & they have to call from the promotional exam that was given in February. Probably atleast 2-3 years, but when they do start calling from this list you’ll definitely be in one of the first classes. 

7 hours ago, krishna said:

Hey I looked at the proposed answer key and I only got 1 wrong. Do you guys know how long it would take before I get called?

I don't know how long but several factors should determine your wait.  

Retirements.  This will probably be the biggest factor.   

Service.   If NYCT maintains or increases the current service levels that is good.  If they reduce, then they need fewer T/O's.  

Promotions.   If they need to hire more supervisors, then they will need more T/O's to fill those positions. 

Good luck.  Years fly by.  Before you know it you'll be posting here as an active employee. 

On 7/11/2024 at 1:16 PM, BayArea said:

The answer key has been posted even tho it does still says they are working on it. I got 5 questions wrong, is that bad ?

You got approximately 91.6% on the exam. On the last exam the people that scored 91.6% were list numbers range 1300-1900. If this exam has more or less the same turnout from last exam, You’ll most likely be called, but it’s gonna be a while. I recommend you get another job at NYC transit, and start your time now. By the time you start working as a T/O, you’ll have years in your pension that will carry over to train operators. 

On 7/12/2024 at 4:43 PM, krishna said:

Very good, once this list gets established, you’re gonna be one of the first waves of people they call to start processing. I would say like within 6 months after the list is established for the exam. Maybe like 18 months-2 years from now really depends how many people are in the promotional list before this exam. 

I don’t mean to bump this thread but for anybody that really wants this job. If you scored 100, or only got one question wrong and you smoke weed, you should stop smoking weed right now just in case. It would be stupid if you do get an email to report for processing some time in October-November, but now you’re scrambling to quit. If you fail the drug test, you’re going to be disqualified and possibly never be able to get a safety sensitive job with Transit. I wouldn’t bother showing up to that first appointment until 6 months of being clean. This new weed that people are smoking is very potent, and I hear of people that were clean for over 3 months still peeing dirty and blowing very big opportunities with the city whether it’s NYPD, sanitation, bus operators. Once you fail the drug test, it’s game over.  Pretty much the word Pothead is going to be stamped in your name everywhere you try to go. 
a lot of city jobs allow your first test to come up positive for weed, and these people keep thinking that they will be good 6 weeks later and they’re getting DQ’d it’s a very bad look on your record. The worse one is sanitation because their drug test gets reported to a federal database and now they can’t even drive any commercial vehicles for a private company until they go through a substance abuse program. 

13 hours ago, DEE123 said:

I don’t mean to bump this thread but for anybody that really wants this job. If you scored 100, or only got one question wrong and you smoke weed, you should stop smoking weed right now just in case. It would be stupid if you do get an email to report for processing some time in October-November, but now you’re scrambling to quit. If you fail the drug test, you’re going to be disqualified and possibly never be able to get a safety sensitive job with Transit. I wouldn’t bother showing up to that first appointment until 6 months of being clean. This new weed that people are smoking is very potent, and I hear of people that were clean for over 3 months still peeing dirty and blowing very big opportunities with the city whether it’s NYPD, sanitation, bus operators. Once you fail the drug test, it’s game over.  Pretty much the word Pothead is going to be stamped in your name everywhere you try to go. 
a lot of city jobs allow your first test to come up positive for weed, and these people keep thinking that they will be good 6 weeks later and they’re getting DQ’d it’s a very bad look on your record. The worse one is sanitation because their drug test gets reported to a federal database and now they can’t even drive any commercial vehicles for a private company until they go through a substance abuse program. 

Very good advice.

On 7/14/2024 at 4:05 AM, DEE123 said:

Oh yeah there's been a few folks DQ'd because they use weed and thinking "they good" and the test comes back dirty..

Yet..

If one pays to get in a program and is clean stays cleans they can put you back on this list well that's what i heard.