NY data shows nursing home deaths undercounted by thousands

R10 2952

"ALBANY, N.Y. — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration confirmed Thursday that thousands more nursing home residents died of COVID-19 than the state’s official tallies had previously acknowledged, dealing a potential blow to his image as a pandemic hero.

The surprise development, after months of the state refusing to divulge its true numbers, showed that at least 12,743 long-term care residents died of the virus as of Jan. 19, far greater than the official tally of 8,505 on that day, cementing New York’s toll as one of the highest in the nation."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/ny-data-show-nursing-home-deaths-undercounted-by-thousands/2021/01/28/6d4edbf8-61cb-11eb-a177-7765f29a9524_story.html

Hope that lying, two-faced f**k finally gets the comeuppance he deserves.

Cuomo in a lot of ways is similar to Trump but with D next to his name instead of an R. It's all for the ratings, the attention seeking, the "tough guy" exterior when in reality they're both flaccid and corrupt people. I mean, look at how CNN & MSNBC propped him up during the spring. Chris Cuomo himself, in one of the interviews with his brother said he'll never be objective (regarding his brother). Quite frankly, I'm here to see Cuomo's favorability fall, but who knows if that will happen.

What I hate about this is that the Republicans will use the criticisms of Cuomo's response in order to make them look like they stand for something, when the reality is anything but. Cuomo has got away with stuff Republicans wish they could have done: Initial ignorance of covid stats, hospital/Medicaid budget cuts during a pandemic, and immunity to nursing homes inserted in a last minute provision to the budget with virtually every lawmaker unaware of it until after its passing. Republicans and Fox/Newsmax/OANN heads aren't mad at the policies, they're just mad it was Cuomo who did it and not them. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Cuomo in a lot of ways is similar to Trump but with D next to his name instead of an R. It's all for the ratings, the attention seeking, the "tough guy" exterior when in reality they're both flaccid and corrupt people. I mean, look at how CNN & MSNBC propped him up during the spring. Chris Cuomo himself, in one of the interviews with his brother said he'll never be objective (regarding his brother). Quite frankly, I'm here to see Cuomo's favorability fall, but who knows if that will happen.

What I hate about this is that the Republicans will use the criticisms of Cuomo's response in order to make them look like they stand for something, when the reality is anything but. Cuomo has got away with stuff Republicans wish they could have done: Initial ignorance of covid stats, hospital/Medicaid budget cuts during a pandemic, and immunity to nursing homes inserted in a last minute provision to the budget with virtually every lawmaker unaware of it until after its passing. Republicans and Fox/Newsmax/OANN heads aren't mad at the policies, they're just mad it was Cuomo who did it and not them. 

I am so sick of this nonsense that Democrats are somehow Gods and are so good, and Republicans are all corrupt and horrible. There are corrupt politicians everywhere, regardless of what their political affiliation is.

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

To me, the clearest answer to replacing Cuomo with someone better is a primary challenge from the left.  Zephyr Teachout 2014, Cynthia Nixon 2018... maybe Howie Hawkins 2022? Cuomo will have a harder time steamrolling primary challengers this time around I think, if at least part of NY voters wake up and smell the coffee. 

8 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

To me, the clearest answer to replacing Cuomo with someone better is a primary challenge from the left.  Zephyr Teachout 2014, Cynthia Nixon 2018... maybe Howie Hawkins 2022? Cuomo will have a harder time steamrolling primary challengers this time around I think, if at least part of NY voters wake up and smell the coffee. 

Doubt it. It seems he's vaguely "embracing" what the left has wanted for years. Remember how he started to really embrace legalization of pot right around the time Nixon came in? Or how she called for higher taxes and now he kinda vaguely calls for it? Or when he supported the 12 rogue Democrats who kept voting with the Reps and she called him out for it, and then he got on board?

It will be very hard for a progressive challenger to to deal with that co-opting. The city (as a whole) will not vote Red, especially after the batshit crazy lunatics broke into the Capitol. The rest of the state might. I remember seeing a dumbass with one of those huge pickup truck with a big Trump flag in Saratoga back in September. It'll be impossible to convince upstate to vote Blue. And no one knows Hawkins. I don't. And Cuomo was pushed real hard into the news cycle because of COVID, so his name will be around for a while.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

Doubt it. It seems he's vaguely "embracing" what the left has wanted for years. Remember how he started to really embrace legalization of pot right around the time Nixon came in? Or how she called for higher taxes and now he kinda vaguely calls for it? Or when he supported the 12 rogue Democrats who kept voting with the Reps and she called him out for it, and then he got on board?

It will be very hard for a progressive challenger to to deal with that co-opting. The city (as a whole) will not vote Red, especially after the batshit crazy lunatics broke into the Capitol. The rest of the state might. I remember seeing a dumbass with one of those huge pickup truck with a big Trump flag in Saratoga back in September. It'll be impossible to convince upstate to vote Blue. And no one knows Hawkins. I don't. And Cuomo was pushed real hard into the news cycle because of COVID, so his name will be around for a while.

We already have a Progressive in office with de Blasio, and the City is a mess. Eight years of his dismal policies. If we had a Progressive as Governor, things would be even worse. We'd have more New Yorkers fleeing from high taxes and a decline in quality of life. The issue really isn't that people won't vote Red. It's that too few people won't vote at all, especially Downstate. We had record low in voting for mayor last time. People love complaining, but so many people in NYC don't vote, or they vote for Progressives, then say they are "disappointed", but still vote for Progressives or leftists because they are so much better than all other options. lol I don't vote along party lines. I vote based on the candidate. If more people did that we'd be better off. 

I've been at a few public meetings I had to attend for work and have been grabbing some food when people come over to me and bitch about de Blasio. I just smile and say to myself well YOU voted for him, and now you're complaining. The Democrats don't have to work for anything when they know they have the vote in NYC.

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We already have a Progressive in office with de Blasio, and the City is a mess. Eight years of his dismal policies. If we had a Progressive as Governor, things would be even worse. We'd have more New Yorkers fleeing from high taxes and a decline in quality of life. The issue really isn't that people won't vote Red. It's that too few people won't vote at all, especially Downstate. We had record low in voting for mayor last time. People love complaining, but so many people in NYC don't vote, or they vote for Progressives, then say they are "disappointed", but still vote for Progressives or leftists because they are so much better than all other options. lol I don't vote along party lines. I vote based on the candidate. If more people did that we'd be better off. 

I've been at a few public meetings I had to attend for work and have been grabbing some food when people come over to me and bitch about de Blasio. I just smile and say to myself well YOU voted for him, and now you're complaining. The Democrats don't have to work for anything when they know they have the vote in NYC.

Ain't nobody here denying that DBD has been a mess.

Yet your conservatives haven't worked at all to get NYC, either. They're bowing to a bunch of QAnon nutjobs that just attempted the closest thing the US has come to a presidential coup because the man you voted for president egged them on. Your favorite Queen Nicole loved that too. She objected to the electoral certification AFTER these buffons stormed the building with their Nazi and confederate flags. Not a realistic, pragmatic way of trying to win the hearts of liberals in the city.

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I highly doubt Hawkins would want to primary with a D affiliation.

58 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We already have a Progressive in office with de Blasio, and the City is a mess.

58 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I vote based on the candidate. If more people did that we'd be better off. 

Well, that's certainly a contradiction. You say you vote based on the candidate, yet you wouldn't want to vote for any potential progressive that isn't deBlasio. Not saying you should, just pointing that out.

38 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Yet your conservatives haven't worked at all to get NYC, either. They're bowing to a bunch of QAnon nutjobs that just attempted the closest thing the US has come to a presidential coup because the man you voted for president egged them on. Your favorite Queen Nicole loved that too. She objected to the electoral certification AFTER these buffons stormed the building with their Nazi and confederate flags. Not a realistic, pragmatic way of trying to win the hearts of liberals in the city.

The GOP wasn't always the crazy party it is today (at least, in terms of conspiracy theories and supporting insurrectionists), but alas... I don't really support Dems either. To me, it's like eating popcorn and watching the fight all play out. As long as the country (and state) is divided, we won't get anywhere, whether it's right or left...

3 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Well, that's certainly a contradiction. You say you vote based on the candidate, yet you wouldn't want to vote for any potential progressive that isn't deBlasio. Not saying you should, just pointing that out.

I don't see how. I have voted for Democrats, third party candidates and Republicans. I wonder if any Democrats or Progressives can say the same...

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

Ain't nobody here denying that DBD has been a mess.

"My conservatives" huh....  <_< lol I am fiscally conservative, but not necessarily conservative on everything else. Stop trying to label me. I was an Independent for YEARS, and have voted for various candidates, including Democrats, and still have voted for Democrats last election. Again, unlike you, I don't vote down party lines. I vote based on the candidate. Funny you call DBD a mess, but I'd put money on it that you voted for him. LOL

Conservatives don't stand a chance in this City with all of these transplants moving in, that vote Democrat just because. De Blasio was elected with one of the lowest turnouts, but many of the people complaining about him VOTED for him because they love Progressives and think that a Progressive in office will fix everything, including income inequality. The only thing de Blasio did was make himself richer. LOL

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

"My conservatives" huh....  <_< lol I am fiscally conservative, but not necessarily conservative on everything else. Stop trying to label me. I was an Independent for YEARS, and have voted for various candidates, including Democrats, and still have voted for Democrats last election. Again, unlike you, I don't vote down party lines. I vote based on the candidate. Funny you call DBD a mess, but I'd put money on it that you voted for him. LOL

Conservatives don't stand a chance in this City with all of these transplants moving in, that vote Democrat just because. De Blasio was elected with one of the lowest turnouts, but many of the people complaining about him VOTED for him because they love Progressives and think that a Progressive in office will fix everything, including income inequality. The only thing de Blasio did was make himself richer. LOL

Never voted for him, actually. Didn't have a chance back in 2013, didn't do it in 2017.

BTW, how is your coup going?

3 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Never voted for him, actually. Didn't have a chance back in 2013, didn't do it in 2017.

BTW, how is your coup going?

Liar... You're all about fixing inequality and talking about how "evil" all Republicans are. Don't give me that you're not a progressive. I don't see who else you would vote for for mayor but de Blasio. Oh or maybe you complain but don't vote. That wouldn't shock me either. Progressives are all about "inequality" like AOC, who is living the life, dressing to the nine and living in a fancy apartment while her constituents are dirt poor, but she's working hard to fix inequality. LOL

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Liar... You're all about fixing inequality and talking about how "evil" all Republicans are. Don't give me that you're not a progressive. I don't see who else you would vote for for mayor but de Blasio. Oh or maybe you complain but don't vote. That wouldn't shock me either.

How's your coup going?

9 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

How's your coup going?

Very funny. Don't evade my comments Mr. Progressive. You know what I said is true. As for the nut jobs on the Capitol, they don't represent all Trump voters, so please. Unlike some of these nuts, I'm rational. I do believe in global warming and science. That doesn't mean however, that I believe that the Democrats and especially the Progressives give a damn about ordinary Americans, and they are not going to do a damn thing to address income inequality and other issues, but go on ahead and drink the Kool-Aid. I respect people that have their own opinions and don't follow. The problem with today's society is we have people that are not individuals. They are followers, so if they are told that Progressives are good because they say that will solve inequality and they're "for the man", well I MUST vote for them because they are GOOD, ALL of them, even if just about all of them are full of it. One of the few Progressives I do like is Ritchie Torres. I think he is true and is really trying to work for the poor folks in his district. He grew up in the projects and gets it and remains humble. AOC and some of those others... They are frauds.

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Very funny. Don't evade my comments Mr. Progressive. You know what I said is true. As for the nut jobs on the Capitol, they don't represent all Trump voters, so please. Unlike some of these nuts, I'm rational. I do believe in global warming and science. That doesn't mean however, that I believe that the Democrats and especially the Progressives give a damn about ordinary Americans, and they are not going to do a damn thing to address income inequality and other issues, but go on ahead and drank the Kool-Aid. I respect people that have their own opinions and don't follow. The problem with today's society is we have people that are not individuals. They are followers, so if they are told that Progressives are good because they say that will solve inequality and they're "for the man", well I MUST vote for them because they are GOOD, ALL of them, even if just about all of them are full of it. One of the few Progressives I do like is Ritchie Torres. I think he is true and is really trying to work for the poor folks in his district. He grew up in the projects and gets it and remains humble. AOC and some of those others... They are frauds.

Didn't do 2013 because the polls closed, and sat out 2017. Paraphrasing George Carlin here, if you didn't vote for the guy, then you have all the rights to complain about him. :)

How can you be complaining about AOC being a fraud when the President you voted for has literally been investigated for, and committed, actual fraud? Your dude is a literal limousine Republican who has defrauded the working class before he even became President.

Edited by GojiMet86

13 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Didn't do 2013 because the polls closed, and sat out 2017. Paraphrasing George Carlin here, if you didn't vote for the guy, then you have all the rights to complain about him. :)

How can you be complaining about AOC being a fraud when the President you voted for has literally been investigated for, and committed, actual fraud? Your dude is a literal limousine Republican who has defrauded the working class before he even became President.

Oh please. Let's be real here. Many people hate Trump and he never stood a chance in hell. Even I was shocked that he won, and when he did win, the Democrats were PISSED (including the media) and were on a witch hunt to get him from day one. Not much different than some Republicans with Obama.... Now I'm not going to sit here and say that he didn't do some crazy s**** because he did, but regardless. He didn't stand a chance, even if he was on his best behavior. The man is no longer President, Biden is, but regardless, the Democrats won't stop, not because they give a damn, but because they're afraid that he'll run and win again in 2024. Yes Trump has faults, no question, but what I love about him is he pisses people off because he is not going to go along with the status quo. That's why I voted for him. I HATED Obamacare, especially that mandate (unAmerican, not to mention that premiums were sky high), and he dismantled it, which is exactly what I wanted. He also cut taxes, so on those two things alone, I would've voted for him again.

Despite what a "disaster" he was, he still got 70+ million votes, and there's a reason for that. Let's see how Biden does... 

I don't know what you're sitting out for. You're a Progressive. Me, I have voted across party lines for years. You, you can't even admit what you are. LOL

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. Let's be real here. Many people hate Trump and he never stood a chance in hell. Even I was shocked that he won, and when he did win, the Democrats were PISSED (including the media) and were on a witch hunt to get him from day one. Not much different than some Republicans with Obama.... Now I'm not going to sit here and say that he didn't do some crazy s**** because he did, but regardless. He didn't stand a chance, even if he was on his best behavior. The man is no longer President, Biden is, but just the Democrats won't stop, not because they give a damn, but because they're afraid that he'll run and win again in 2024. Yes Trump has faults, no question, but what I love about him is he pisses people off because he is not going to go along with the status quo. That's why I voted for him. I HATED Obamacare, especially that mandate, and he dismantled it, which is exactly what I wanted. He also cut taxes, so on those two things alone, I would've voted for him again.

Despite what a "disaster" he was, he still got 70+ million votes, and there's a reason for that. Let's see how Biden does... 

I don't know what you're sitting out for. You're a Progressive. Me, I have voted across party lines for years. You, you can't even admit what you are. LOL

So you're fine with the nutjobs, the white supremists, the Jewish Space-Laser theorists, and the near-massacre of lawmakers at the Capitol just because you want to save on taxes and you wanna stick it to the "status quo"? Gotcha.

19 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

So you're fine with the nutjobs, the white supremists, the Jewish Space-Laser theorists, and the near-massacre of lawmakers at the Capitol just because you want to save on taxes and you wanna stick it to the "status quo"? Gotcha.

Don't even try it. You can't even admit where you stand. You don't get to criticize who I vote for. Every time you're confronted you avoid my question. You sat out last time and the polls were closed in 2013. LOL You are trying to label me when I've been clear about my stance. You on the other hand can't admit you're a Progressive. Maybe you're looking for the "perfect Progressive", but there's no such thing. No politician is perfect.

36 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

You think you're better when you don't even vote and can't even be man enough to say that you're a Progressive. Get back to me when you can admit that. Then I'll have some respect for your opinion about who I vote for.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You think you're better when you don't even vote and can't even be man enough to say that you're a Progressive. Get back to me when you can admit that. Then I'll have some respect for your opinion about who I vote for.

Of course I vote progressive whenever possible.Voted for the progressive Nixon back in 2018, and for AOC and Bernie in the 2020 elections. Doesn't mean I like DBD.

Then I did Obama, Clinton, and Biden, because there were no other big favorable choices.

It would have been easier to vote Rep in the past, but now it's the party of the cringey dressup shamans, the pyramid schemers, and uber-religious pillow CEOs.

22 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Of course I vote progressive whenever possible.Voted for the progressive Nixon back in 2018, and for AOC and Bernie in the 2020 elections. Doesn't mean I like DBD.

Then I did Obama, Clinton, and Biden, because there were no other big favorable choices.

It would have been easier to vote Rep in the past, but now it's the party of the cringey dressup shamans, the pyramid schemers, and uber-religious pillow CEOs.

Of course it's ok for you to stereotype a bunch of people that you don't know because you're a Progressive/Liberal... LOL That's what cracks me up about you folks. Always thinking you're smarter and better because you claim you're for equality. P.S. Biden was one of the biggest racists for years before he supposedly cleaned up his act, and yet you voted for him, so you're the last person I'm going to be lectured by. LOL

Summary according to you...

Progressives/Liberals = All good (even if they're corrupt SOBs like de Blasio)

Republicans = All bad/crazies/racists

48 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Of course it's ok for you to stereotype a bunch of people that you don't know because you're a Progressive/Liberal... LOL That's what cracks me up about you folks. Always thinking you're smarter and better because you claim you're for equality. P.S. Biden was one of the biggest racists for years before he supposedly cleaned up his act, and yet you voted for him, so you're the last person I'm going to be lectured by. LOL

Summary according to you...

Progressives/Liberals = All good (even if they're corrupt SOBs like de Blasio)

Republicans = All bad/crazies/racists

Uh, you've been stereotyping, too. According to you, apparently every Progessive/Liberal/Democrat hates the working class and is secretly racist, even though the your love has actually defrauded the working class through his little GoFundMe campaigns.

PS Trump is currently pretty racist. Haven't seen him once denounce the white supremicists that would love to a chance to hang minorities like you and me. And you're perfectly fine with that, as long as the green flows to you.

Edited by GojiMet86

17 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Uh, you've been stereotyping, too. According to you, apparently every Progessive/Liberal/Democrat hates the working class and is secretly racist, even though the your love has actually defrauded the working class through his little GoFundMe campaigns.

PS Trump is currently pretty racist. Haven't seen him once denounce the white supremicists that would love to a chance to hang minorities like you and me. And you're perfectly fine with that, as long as the green flows to you.

No, not every one of them. I mentioned at least one Progressive that I like that IS trying to help the people. You just have selective reading as usual.

Joe Biden isn't "secretly racist." His racist policies have been well documented over the years, but people like to forget that because he's a Democrat, so he gets a pass. I'm sure you didn't just blindly vote for him. Of course you didn't do that... <_< 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/joe-biden-record-on-busing-incarceration-racial-justice-democratic-primary-2020-explained.html

Trump is out of office. Let's try to stay on track here. Biden is president now, not Trump. Can't stop bringing him up can you. LOL

But yes evil Trump... Under Trump, minorities prior to the pandemic saw some of the lowest unemployment numbers ever. Everyone prospered. 

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No, not every one of them. I mentioned at least one Progressive that I like that IS trying to help the people. You just have selective reading as usual.

Joe Biden isn't "secretly racist." His racist policies have been well documented over the years, but people like to forget that because he's a Democrat, so he gets a pass. I'm sure you didn't just blindly vote for him. Of course you didn't do that... <_< 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/joe-biden-record-on-busing-incarceration-racial-justice-democratic-primary-2020-explained.html

Trump is out of office. Let's try to stay on track here. Biden is president now, not Trump. Can't stop bringing him up can you. LOL

Neither can you.

Everytime I, MHV, checkmate, or R10 even write about this, you got no problem bringing this shit up.