So this whole bus fare payment restart thing...

Deucey

14 hours ago, Lex said:

That's the "shield" they were talking about. What a joke.

At least that OMNY reader's in place...

oh hell no...

the GLARE from interior lights or mere sunlight alone makes this shower curtain crap ultra boo-boo. not to mention the utter destruction of your line of vision to your right side mirror. "...may have limited view"? bumboc***t, ah bare f***k'ry dread 🤬

40 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

oh hell no...

the GLARE from interior lights or mere sunlight alone makes this shower curtain crap ultra boo-boo. not to mention the utter destruction of your line of vision to your right side mirror. "...may have limited view"? bumboc***t, ah bare f***k'ry dread 🤬

Not only could that (curtain crap) have been done far sooner, but the solution they have for Novas is easily better and needs to be adapted for other buses posthaste.

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

oh hell no...

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Not only could that (curtain crap) have been done far sooner, but the solution they have for Novas is easily better and needs to be adapted for other buses posthaste.

I hope the TWU has something to say about this because I'm 99% sure the NovaBus solution could be implemented on the local fleet at the very least.

As far as the express I personally feel things are fine the way they are. Just adjust the schedule accordingly to maintain social distancing protocols or find a better way to close off the driver other than (clear) shower curtains.

I say clear as in I'm pretty sure something like a black curtain would not cause as much of a glare

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I say clear as in I'm pretty sure something like a black curtain would not cause as much of a glare

I'm not a driver, but I can already tell you that drivers need to be able to see their mirrors at all times of operation. The idea behind using clear curtains is for their transparency, whereas any other curtains would introduce a level of opacity. (The glare would undercut the idea, but anything opaque would automatically be a bad idea. Glare would no longer be an issue, but good luck seeing through it.)

3 hours ago, Lex said:

I'm not a driver, but I can already tell you that drivers need to be able to see their mirrors at all times of operation. The idea behind using clear curtains is for their transparency, whereas any other curtains would introduce a level of opacity. (The glare would undercut the idea, but anything opaque would automatically be a bad idea. Glare would no longer be an issue, but good luck seeing through it.)

Seeing that the MTA still plans to keep the first 3 rows closed off after August 31st I see no need to even have curtains on express buses. If the rows were gonna open it would make sense but like I said if you can social distance you done need to have lipstick on a pig especially when you been without curtains all these months.

14 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

oh hell no...

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Which is exactly why I said:

On 8/17/2020 at 3:27 PM, B35 via Church said:

I do not like the sound of that one bit.

------------------------

You simply are not perfectly seeing through a plastic shower curtain that has that rippling effect to it... Also, soft plastic is a PITA to (keep) clean, over regular glass.... The point regarding glare is also/definitely valid (it's enough that you have to use your visors on a sunny day; I personally hate using them).... The whole bit is tantamount to, and the epitome of, obstructed driving... I would raise all hell if I was a b/o, knowing how anal I am when it comes to my car mirrors....

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

8/31/20 (MTA) fare collection resumes. Just saw a report on Fox 5 news at Noon.  

7 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Just saw on CBS2 news that fare collection will resume on August 31st.

TA had an press conference at Quill about fare collection resuming. Museum bus 2185 was used as an backdrop.

6 hours ago, azspeedbullet said:
3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@Deucey Here’s your answer:

117773132_10158930061157042_465734932540

This is what I've always liked about this community - This unified willingness to want to share pertinent information... None of that *I already said that*, or any of that type of shit.

I don't watch the news; barely watch TV period anymore & I seldom frequent the (either old or new) MTA website.... So, thanks guys.

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Which is exactly why I said:

------------------------

You simply are not perfectly seeing through a plastic shower curtain that has that rippling effect to it... Also, soft plastic is a PITA to (keep) clean, over regular glass.... The point regarding glare is also/definitely valid (it's enough that you have to use your visors on a sunny day; I personally hate using them).... The whole bit is tantamount to, and the epitome of, obstructed driving... I would raise all hell if I was a b/o, knowing how anal I am when it comes to my car mirrors....

This is what I've always liked about this community - This unified willingness to want to share pertinent information... None of that *I already said that*, or any of that type of shit.

I don't watch the news; barely watch TV period anymore & I seldom frequent the (either old or new) MTA website.... So, thanks guys.

Exactly. Although we all may get the information in different phases. It's about being unified

On 8/16/2020 at 3:33 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The customers would have an issue with the fare resuming whether it starts now or later.  A lot of people in this city think that public transportation in NYC should be free. So I can definitely see people protesting this and I wouldn’t be surprised if the fare reintroduction gets news coverage. 

From experience, what's going on now with the buses right now is why they should NOT be free. Raising the fares won't do much good either, as the city is looking at a what? 30% unemployment rate? They should consider dropping fares to a more manageable $2 for the time being...

On 8/16/2020 at 11:17 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well the (MTA) has been following ridership patterns. Every meeting I’ve been apart over the last few weeks has talked about how bus ridership has rebounded nicely, while subway ridership while increasing, is still low.

The only reason subway ridership is still low is because folks still have to pay to ride that. I'd take the train to make reliefs on the B16 or B43 and there wouldn't be much people or crowding during the rush hour like before! 

13 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

From experience, what's going on now with the buses right now is why they should NOT be free. Raising the fares won't do much good either, as the city is looking at a what? 30% unemployment rate? They should consider dropping fares to a more manageable $2 for the time being...

If the (MTA) wants to make some of it's profit back

Local bus fare: between $1.50 and $2.00

Express bus fare: between $3.00 and $4.00.

We all know federal money will not show up at the least until mid to late 2021 (if a new administration presents its self)

1 hour ago, SoSpectacular said:

The only reason subway ridership is still low is because folks still have to pay to ride that. I'd take the train to make reliefs on the B16 or B43 and there wouldn't be much people or crowding during the rush hour like before! 

I’m not so sure about that. I have quite a few people in my group that are new express bus riders. They switched from the subway, and would rather pay the $6.75. We’ll see what happens after August 31st...

3 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

I agree with you, I feel like that’s smart marketing. High prices deter people from buying a productive especially if they know they can get it cheaper elsewhere. In the case with public transportation having the fare at $1.50 or $2.00 again might not deter as many people as $2.75 would. People have been complaining about $2.75 for years and I wouldn’t be surprised if that also contributed some bit to the decrease in ridership system wide. Shoot maybe they can even have a special off peak fare for express buses. Maybe $4.50 to match the LIRR city ticket price.

I have a problem as I do not like to use  credit card for adding money to my Metrocard and when I tried to refill it using cash at the subway a couple of weeks ago, I was told by the agent  it could only be refilled using a credit card. 

Will the station agents be able to refill the card using cash again when the buses start charging fares?

11 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

I have a problem as I do not like to use  credit card for adding money to my Metrocard and when I tried to refill it using cash at the subway a couple of weeks ago, I was told by the agent  it could only be refilled using a credit card. 

Will the station agents be able to refill the card using cash again when the buses start charging fares?

Cash is still okay at the vending machines.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:52 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I agree with you, I feel like that’s smart marketing. High prices deter people from buying a productive especially if they know they can get it cheaper elsewhere. In the case with public transportation having the fare at $1.50 or $2.00 again might not deter as many people as $2.75 would. People have been complaining about $2.75 for years and I wouldn’t be surprised if that also contributed some bit to the decrease in ridership system wide. Shoot maybe they can even have a special off peak fare for express buses. Maybe $4.50 to match the LIRR city ticket price.

I don't think people have much of a choice here. Public transportation remain the ceapest form of transportation in the city.

I could see some sort of promotional fare on the Express Buses to get people to try the service, like you mentioned

Even though everything is pretty much approved with these driver modifications on the buses, in terms of the Nova LFS/A fleet, it would be nice if they can dim the interior lights to how the 2012 LFSAs are in the front portion of the bus, and have the lights that shine over the front wheels disabled or off, and have the single seat behind the driver completely sealed off for safety. 

I always felt that the interior lights on the local buses were too bright, if they can drop the brightness about 40% on the buses with those new bright interior lights, it would make the shield less of an issue for the drivers. 

I wonder why the sliding partition doesn't work for other buses? Obviously the design will be different but I don't see an issue.