Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

14 minutes ago, Cain said:

Ah, I see it on the Remix map now. It was not clear on the pdf. Thanks.

Still - Fordham Rd in that area could use center running bus lanes, it is always congested. Any other plan would just be ruined by double parking.

The middle lanes turn into the underpass at Southern, so how would you do that? 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Might be simpler to keep the (Q16) on Utopia and let the Q61 cover Willets Point to/from the Fort.

That would be a simpler option but it seems excessive having two local services going on that northern part of Bell to Fort Totten.  My proposal was just a way of opening up additional travel routes without bunching services to a lightly trafficked end point and making up for some lost QM20 service if they keep insisting on cutting it down.

I think they should do away with the Q1/Q6 merge and instead have the Q1 go down Merrick Blvd while the Q25 terminates at it's current terminal. The Q6 would stay as is with the modifications.

I wonder how this will go knowing that Queens have different unions. BP,LGA and CP are local 100 while JFK-FR,JA,CS and QV have different unions.

But that Q1/Q6 merge might not happen as people along the Q6 would probably not agree with it. The Q6 is one of JFK's busiest routes and Merging it with the Q1 would cause more issues.

As a fan the Q25 on Merrick is very interesting because we will see a CNG bus on Merrick Blvd but as a rider the route would simply be too long and the fact that it's local makes it even worse.

I remember Queens Surface telling (MTA) before the takeover to split the Q25 in half (Jamaica to Flushing, Flushing to college point) due to how unreliable the route was due to the traffic in downtown flushing.

Them canning the Q113 in favor of the Q114 is dumb. Just keep it as the Q113 and have the Q114 as the local between Farmers and Parsons. I'm happy that the Q111 is an express rush route but a stop at Linden blvd is needed.

The Q38 being split i have no issue with, As long as either part is kept, I'm good as that's my back up bus to take to the (M) train just in case Queens blvd is screwed up. (I know they kept the Q38 portion because (M) line crews use that bus to get to metropolitan from Rego park).

The Q10 being merged with the Q64 isn't bad, Now those people will have a 100% artic route.

The Q47 should have been split like before with the (old Q45 coming back) merging those 2 routes was a bad idea back in 2010 or 2011. That LGA part should have been more streamlined as it still has those turns which suck.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I think they should do away with the Q1/Q6 merge and instead have the Q1 go down Merrick Blvd while the Q25 terminates at it's current terminal. The Q6 would stay as is with the modifications.

I don't know where you've been, but the MTA already tried that. 

The Q10 being merged with the Q64 isn't bad, Now those people will have a 100% artic route.

That's a terrible reason for the combo, and it's obviously the only reason. I'd sooner combine the Q64 with the Q59 and run it in tandem with the Q73 than merge it with the Q10. At least that would have a connection that would make some sense (QCM, even if it precludes artics).

2 hours ago, Lex said:

that's a terrible reason for the combo, and it's obviously the only reason.

THIS. i have yet to hear from anyone, on this forum or in those communities, any legitimate reasoning as to why a 10/64 combination is a good idea, letalone the outcry for such a thing to exist. 

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

It provides a direct connect between Kew Gardens/Richmond Hill/Ozone Park with Electchester/Kew Gardens Hills. I could see myself using it.

That, and a connection from Lefferts Blvd to the Q44 (and those other north-south routes) without having to go into Jamaica)

13 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That, and a connection from Lefferts Blvd to the Q44 (and those other north-south routes) without having to go into Jamaica)

fair point(s). can't argue with that line of thinking. that backtracking into Jamaica via the 54 from Lefferts (for example) just to connect to the 44 does seem a bit much. if there's room for legitimate thru traffic across queens blvd, then I'm with it. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

Here are some random thoughts:

• Some routes that will get delayed due to congestion without bus priority in the Queens Bus Redesign:
    Q50 on the Whitestone, Q68 on the Kosciuszko, Q51 on the Belt. There are others. Union Street in Flushing needs bus priority.
  • The B53 is odd and duplicative
  • The Q16/Q61/Q62 situation is a service cut.
  • It is odd that the Q60 still goes to South Jamaica.
  • The Q20 should go to Union Turnpike, not Briarwood.
  • The Q73 should be extended to Myrtle.
  • Having a Queens route to Columbus Circle would be nice.
  • The Q65 LTD seems to be eliminated, which isn't great.
  • The B62, Q59, Q66 and Q68 need to be more frequent
  • The B57 extension is great; good riddance to the section from the 2010 cuts.
  • The Bx15 or Bx41 should be extended to LaGuardia
  • The super-routes, like the Q25, Q1 and Q10 won't work without bus priority
  • Weekend service needs to be much better across the board, including on the Q23 and Q54
  • The Q25 needs to run every 6 minutes off-peak, more frequently on weekends
  • The Q39/Q67 swap ends the connection from Sunnyside to Ridgewood
  • I don't like that the Francis Lewis Blvd crosstown was eliminated
  • I love the consolidation of local and limited-stop routes
  • The Q73 needs to get off Austin Street
  • It doesn't seem great that the Q23 loses the transfer to the 7 at 111th.
  • I love the through-running routes in Jamaica/Flushing to reduce layover congestion.
  • I love the reroute of the Q47 off congested Roosevelt Avenue, and the Q53 cutback

Also, this:

16 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

• Some routes that will get delayed due to congestion without bus priority in the Queens Bus Redesign:
    Q50 on the Whitestone, Q68 on the Kosciuszko, Q51 on the Belt. There are others. Union Street in Flushing needs bus priority.
  • Weekend service needs to be much better across the board, including on the Q23 and Q54
  • I love the through-running routes in Jamaica/Flushing to reduce layover congestion.
  • I love the reroute of the Q47 off congested Roosevelt Avenue, and the Q53 cutback

While I'm not a fan of the Q10 extension northward, bus priority wouldn't work on Lefferts. The route is also roughly the same in miles, so its not really a "super route", since they technically took the route south of Lefferts Blvd Airtrain, and just stuck it North. With such an extension, I can't see the Q10 remaining solely at JFK. That would be pretty wild if that actually becomes the case.

As for the Q20, I'd rather keep it at Briarwood, the turnaround for the buses is a lot easier than Union Turnpike. It's also a decent option for those getting off the (E) and (F), as subway riders already get off of there to get the Q20 or the Q44.

If that Q1 proposal survives the second draft(if any), I'll be really, really surprised.

25 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Also, this:

People Still use the Q60 from South Jamaica, Esp in the peak hours. Them running every other bus to archer ave was a good move to balance out the route.

The Q20 should have went as far as Supthin Blvd if they wanted to cut it back.

Yea losing the Q65 LTD isn't gonna go well.

The Super routes like the Q1 merge and the Q25 on Merrick I'm mixed on.

The Q25 on Merrick will have frequent service, People who live along Merrick along where the Q25 will be serving has a vocal community. So I can see them improving the Q25 since it would be serving the local stops btween Springfeild and Jamaica. 

I don't see the Q1 super route being a thing since it's a grey area. The Q6 is a very busy route while the Q1 only gets busy during the peak hours on hillside ave. JFK would lose this route to QV which isn't going to sit well with JFK depot.

15 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

While I'm not a fan of the Q10 extension northward, bus priority wouldn't work on Lefferts. The route is also roughly the same in miles, so its not really a "super route", since they technically took the route south of Lefferts Blvd Airtrain, and just stuck it North. With such an extension, I can't see the Q10 remaining solely at JFK. That would be pretty wild if that actually becomes the case.

As for the Q20, I'd rather keep it at Briarwood, the turnaround for the buses is a lot easier than Union Turnpike. It's also a decent option for those getting off the (E) and (F), as subway riders already get off of there to get the Q20 or the Q44.

If that Q1 proposal survives the second draft(if any), I'll be really, really surprised.

The Only issue is that the (E) doesn't serve briarwood during the day, Only the (F). Only Off peak and Weekends the (E) serves briarwood. I think that's why he thinks union turnpike is a better terminal since you can connect to both the  (E)(F) 24/7.

I Still Think they were better off Having the Merged Q1 serve Merrick Blvd instead of replacing the Q6. That would have made more sense while the Q25 either serve it's current terminal or have it terminate somewhere else close to Jamaica.

Also If the Combined Q1 is a thing where it replaces the Q6, JFK would not get the newly revised Q1 since that would stay at QV but gain more with the Q10 extension. 

Edited by R32 3838

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That split you're calling for was vehemently opposed by other QM24, QM25 and QM34 riders and made no sense, as it also split up the service. If one line doesn't run, riders on that part of the route are screwed. You don't even explain what you like about the split and what made sense to do it. 

I wasn't aware they opposed it so much.  I was aware that they significantly slashed the run times to every hour but it's only just hitting me that they literally split the service, I was thinking of them as two independent lines.

I think the split was a good idea because people in Glendale and Ridgewood could turn up 69th Street and go straight to the LIE instead of having to double back from Middle Village.  It would have been good in the afternoon when buses could get off at Maurice and head back toward Eliot via 69th Street. I do acknowledge that it's not ideal to lose out on the HOV lane though and that might negate any real time savings in the morning of having to go down Eliot Avenue.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before but I also think it's a common sense move to have downtown buses stop at 1st Ave and 34th for the Hospital crowd.  I was thinking for years that people who work at NYU would benefit from this.  I just hope I won't be stuck sitting at 1st Avenue on the way home because the time point isn't properly accounted for.

19 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The Only issue is that the (E) doesn't serve briarwood during the day, Only the (F). Only Off peak and Weekends the (E) serves briarwood. I think that's why he thinks union turnpike is a better terminal since you can connect to both the  (E)(F) 24/7.

The way I see it, that's a pretty minor issue. (E) riders in Jamaica can just get the Q44, and (E) riders from Manhattan and from Western Queens can just transfer to the (F).

The other problem with the Union Turnpike terminal(if what he's suggesting is Queens Blvd) is that it'll overcrowd the area with buses. With the two Union Turnpike Variants, the Q23 and the Q60, there's gonna be a lot going through that area, and the old Q74 terminal was just stupid with the turnaround altogether.

Edited by Cait Sith

26 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I don't disagree re:Lefferts. It is very narrow. They should take away parking, but good luck with that. There are more transfer options at Kew Gardens and the E stops there during the day. It isn't a dealbreaker though.

27 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I don't disagree re:Lefferts. It is very narrow. They should take away parking, but good luck with that. There are more transfer options at Kew Gardens and the E stops there during the day. It isn't a dealbreaker though.

As a near-every day user of the Q10, the buses move along Lefferts pretty fast, so bus priority would be pretty pointless. Parking hasn't been much of a factor with the Q10's performance. It's more or less how the traffic signals are set up along some parts of the route(especially between 111th Avenue and Atlantic Avenue), and some cross streets(Liberty Avenue especially).

Edited by Cait Sith

41 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I wasn't aware they opposed it so much.  I was aware that they significantly slashed the run times to every hour but it's only just hitting me that they literally split the service, I was thinking of them as two independent lines.

I think the split was a good idea because people in Glendale and Ridgewood could turn up 69th Street and go straight to the LIE instead of having to double back from Middle Village.  It would have been good in the afternoon when buses could get off at Maurice and head back toward Eliot via 69th Street. I do acknowledge that it's not ideal to lose out on the HOV lane though and that might negate any real time savings in the morning of having to go down Eliot Avenue.

I can't remember if I mentioned this before but I also think it's a common sense move to have downtown buses stop at 1st Ave and 34th for the Hospital crowd.  I was thinking for years that people who work at NYU would benefit from this.  I just hope I won't be stuck sitting at 1st Avenue on the way home because the time point isn't properly accounted for.

There are a few Queens expresses by stop unofficially to let out the hospital crowd. What do those do now that don't have access to that area?

14 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Q20 - Overall not a bad route except for the southern portion of the route. I don't know why they would think Briarwood is a better terminal than Union Turnpike subway. However I do share the same concern that College Point Retail Center is left with only the Q76. The Q17 on 130th Street is not that close from most parts of the place, it's pretty huge. I would extend the Q25 there instead (see below for more specifics).

Q25 - Wow, they have this route really doing the most with it being the local for both Merrick Boulevards and Kissena Boulevards. I would have those segments separated from each other for the sake of reliability. Also, whatever happensI would also extend the route on its northern end, operating via Whitestone Expressway and 20th Avenue to serve College Point Center to replace the Q20A. It would still serve the beloved NY Times processing plant, lol. I would have it end with the Q76. Also, regardless what ends up happening (split or not), you don't need the Q5, Q85, and Q25 on Merrick during overnight hours. 

For the Q25 now that I look at it again yeah it would make more sense to go past Whitestone and all the way to 20 Ave for the shopping center. 

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

For the Q20 I would rather have it terminate at the very least at Jamaica LIRR. For a couple of reasons being that first the old Q74 wasn't really popular route and people in that area will still have the Q73 and Q10 which will take them to Forest Hills. The only reason I'd even consider diverting the Q20 to Union Tpk is to make a connection with the Q10 which is now possible on Jewels Ave. As for why Jamaica LIRR as opposed to Briarwood is the (E)(J), the LIRR, and AirTrain. The ride from Union Tpk to Briarwood to Archer doesn't take that long and people who are riding the Q20 from Jamaica usually fall under 2 camps. Either people who will take whatever comes first or deadset on the Q20 only. The people who would take whatever comes first wouldn't be happy if they have to figure out if they should get off at Union or Sutphin to catch the next bus. Also deadset Q20 riders who won't even consider using the Q44, even though these 2 buses go to the same place. This is because this route operates on some hills that people do not want to go up or down, particularly near Flushing and Briarwood (Even though some of this hills aren't even that big.). With the combined fact this route also appeal more to local students and seniors commuting usually traveling shorter distances not really for people going to the train (with the exception to Flushing of course.). Some of the Q44 stops can be far from the local stops and these people they would rather wait for the Q20. I usually switch between being on whatever comes first to deadset on the Q20, usually when I'm going home too. It's best to just keep it simple and have both routes go to Jamaica.

Edited by IAlam

18 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I wrote in complaints to my city and state representatives about the plan, and submitted a complaint on the MTA's Queens Bus Redesign website. Although I am not in his district, I wonder if David Weprin's office will be helpful on this matter. They seemed to be helpful in the past on these issues.

I wrote to my contacts today. They stressed that this is just a draft and that they want feedback. I also have a list of upcoming Zoom Workshop meetings that I will try to post here:

277726138_10224337021905617_845045774374

Please join Virtual Workshop on the date for your community  at https://mta.zoom.us/j/86541509211?pwd=Qk5MZUpZa2k2SmRBMldtRUVmZnVzUT09

Meeting ID: 865 4150 9211  

One tap mobile +19294362866,,86541509211#,,,,*6256615911# US (New York) 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8