Brooklyn Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Cait Sith

38 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Just believing in misinformation, they haven't updated anything on outreach because the queens redesign has to be implemented first. Really need to stop jumping to conclusions with no evidence. 

But it’s irresponsible to make an update, and still refer to past outreach in the future tense. Shows laziness and sloppiness.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Just believing in misinformation, they haven't updated anything on outreach because the queens redesign has to be implemented first. Really need to stop jumping to conclusions with no evidence. 

If there is no true update, then the former outreach needs to be in the archives. At the very least there needs to be a proposed final plan release date bc according to the MTA the final plan for the Queens redesign changes should be completed by the end of this year. Releasing the proposed final plan for Brooklyn at the end of 2024/beginning of 2025 will have no impact on the changes for Queens.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If there is no true update, then the former outreach needs to be in the archives. At the very least there needs to be a proposed final plan release date bc according to the MTA the final plan for the Queens redesign changes should be completed by the end of this year. Releasing the proposed final plan for Brooklyn at the end of 2024/beginning of 2025 will have no impact on the changes for Queens.

To be fair, outside of transit nerds like us and a number of advocates, who really checks it often for any sort of updates?

Edited by Cait Sith

18 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Since there were very few features of draft 1 that anyone liked, there needs to be a draft 2, not a proposed final. If the next draft is labeled Proposed Final and is still disliked by many, there should not be a hearing on that plan, like there was for Queens, with the MTA being able to implement anything they want, and calling it adequate community participation. You don’t hold a hearing in the middle of the summer as they did in Queens, without even posting notices on the buses that a hearing is being held. Ninety percent of Queens still aren’t even aware that a bus study is taking place. Most riders don’t check the MTA website regularly if at all.

We have these discussions about these redesigns & an interesting conclusion, or comparison I've come to grips with, is that it's more & more sounding like getting into arguments/discussions with sports fans - Especially when it comes to winning (game in & game out)....

When I started to realize that the front offices for these sports franchises and the players that play for some given sports franchise care WAY (don't feel like doing the 85pt. font bit... lol) less about winning than sports fans do, I started caring way less about rooting for a player and/or for any particular team.... I don't dare actually go to the games, or buy any sports memorabilia/merchandise & what not.....

To sum it up, this is where I've been at with the MTA... I'll keep saying it for as long as I feel the need to - they simply do not care nearly as much about improving the commutes of riders, than the riders that stand to be affected (negatively or positively) by whatever they ultimately end up implementing.....

37 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

We have these discussions about these redesigns & an interesting conclusion, or comparison I've come to grips with, is that it's more & more sounding like getting into arguments/discussions with sports fans - Especially when it comes to winning (game in & game out)....

When I started to realize that the front offices for these sports franchises and the players that play for some given sports franchise care WAY (don't feel like doing the 85pt. font bit... lol) less about winning than sports fans do, I started caring way less about rooting for a player and/or for any particular team.... I don't dare actually go to the games, or buy any sports memorabilia/merchandise & what not.....

To sum it up, this is where I've been at with the MTA... I'll keep saying it for as long as I feel the need to - they simply do not care nearly as much about improving the commutes of riders, than the riders that stand to be affected (negatively or positively) by whatever they ultimately end up implementing.....

Correct. They are more concerned with costs than they are with commutes. When they stated it is more efficient for buses to operate without passengers than with them because they can do it more quickly at a lower operating costs, (which they sent me once in writing)  than the traditional thinking that non-revenue mileage is wasted mileage, told me all I need to know. That they lost their purpose which is to serve the passengers. 

On 8/10/2024 at 10:02 PM, BrooklynBus said:

Correct. They are more concerned with costs than they are with commutes. When they stated it is more efficient for buses to operate without passengers than with them because they can do it more quickly at a lower operating costs, (which they sent me once in writing)  than the traditional thinking that non-revenue mileage is wasted mileage, told me all I need to know. That they lost their purpose which is to serve the passengers. 

Yikes, that is a really bad perspective for them. Why did they lose their original vision and purpose?

I think it started when they started calling passengers “customers” trying to be like a private corporation focusing on profits (in their case minimizing losses) rather than on serving their passengers. Just look at the focus on eliminating bus stops. That is to save costs which it will not do, not to provide better service. The last three times I took the bus, I just missed on because my bus stop was removed 10 years ago. That was an extra five or ten minutes added to my trip for no good reason. I was the only one at the stop where I waited, so the bus didn’t even make fewer stops. It just stopped at a different one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2024 at 6:25 PM, BrooklynBus said:

I think it started when they started calling passengers “customers trying to be like a private corporation focusing on profits (in their case minimizing losses) rather than on serving their passengers....

If you consider those being the same era's, or of being no relevance, then just ignore this post.

Me, I'd say those are separate era's; with the former having been built off the latter....

Where they started openly/publicly sounding like soulless corporate robots, calling the riding public "customers", coming out with these cringe sounding attempts to try to connect with us "customers" in these subway announcements & what not, is relatively recent (as of this decade; 2020's.... late 2010's at best).....

Their focus (specifically, and especially their indirect mentioning of it to the public) on increasing profit margins, or otherwise being money focused/concerned, was all throughout the 2010's... Practically everything the riding public heard when it came this agency was service cuts, cuts, cuts... Whether it was flat out eliminating whole services (routes), consolidating trips, flat out eliminating trips, and/or anything otherwise pertaining to their budget.... This is the era where I say they went off the deep end with them losing their way (so to speak)....

What I'm getting at is, their losing of their way had to have commenced before the previous decade (2010's)... I'd say the phenomenon started happening around the mid 2000's, around the time of that transit strike in 2005....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If you consider those being the same era's, or of being no relevance, then just ignore this post.

Me, I'd say those are separate era's; with the former having been built off the latter....

Where they started openly/publicly sounding like soulless corporate robots, calling the riding public "customers", coming out with these cringe sounding attempts to try to connect with us "customers" in these subway announcements & what not, is relatively recent (as of this decade; 2020's.... late 2010's at best).....

Their focus (specifically, and especially their indirect mentioning of it to the public) on increasing profit margins, or otherwise being money focused/concerned, was all throughout the 2010's... Practically everything the riding public heard when it came this agency was service cuts, cuts, cuts... Whether it was flat out eliminating whole services (routes), consolidating trips, flat out eliminating trips, and/or anything otherwise pertaining to their budget.... This is the era where I say they went off the deep end with them losing their way (so to speak)....

What I'm getting at is, their losing of their way had to have commenced before the previous decade (2010's)... I'd say the phenomenon started happening around the mid 2000's, around the time of that transit strike in 2005....

Do you recall when they started using the word “customers”? Was it before or after 2005?