Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's not what I asked.  I asked how would the Q94 differ from the Q44 and what would the termini be?

The major change is the Q44 is SBS. That wasn't the case before back in 2008.  So if anything the Q94 would almost have to be a Branch of the Q44 SBS. Fordham Plz  maybe you short turn it to Kew Gardens  (E)(F) or Queens Blvd. But not fully to Jamaica. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, RailRunRob said:

The major change is the Q44 is SBS. That wasn't the case before back in 2008.  So if anything the Q94 would almost have to be a Branch of the Q44 SBS. Fordham Plz  maybe you short turn it to Kew Gardens  (E)(F) or Queens Blvd. But not fully to Jamaica. 

I see... I would need more info to give a comment on it.

35 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I see... I would need more info to give a comment on it.

I'm not an expert in Bus operations by any stretch. But thinking of it from a dynamics standpoint you wouldn't want to over-serve the Main street corridor. So maybe you add 2-3 more buses per hour on a joint Q44/94 operation every with other to Fordham. Some Q44's from Jamaica short turn in Flushing? Are there any current points that Q44's short turn now? Besides Main street? 

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

I'm not an expert in Bus operations by any stretch. But thinking of it from a dynamics standpoint you wouldn't want to over-serve the Main street corridor. So maybe you add 2-3 more buses per hour on a joint Q44/94 operation every with other to Fordham. Some Q44's from Jamaica short turn in Flushing? Are there any current points that Q44's short turn now? Besides Main street? 

I don't use the line that much to say to be honest. I will say that with the way the current Q44s bunch, in order for a Q94 operation to be successful, you would need to work on that first.  There seems to be times when buses come in packs (including off-peak periods) and then there is nothing for quite a while.  

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't use the line that much to say to be honest. I will say that with the way the current Q44s bunch, in order for a Q94 operation to be successful, you would need to work on that first.  There seems to be times when buses come in packs (including off-peak periods) and then there is nothing for quite a while.  

Indeed I've noticed as well I mean it's a 13-mile route.. Maybe another corridor altogether  Kissena, 164th street? Always more than one way to skin a cat... Or hell maybe it's a short turn at Flushing plain and simple.

8 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Indeed I've noticed as well I mean it's a 13-mile route.. Maybe another corridor altogether  Kissena, 164th street? Always more than one way to skin a cat... Or hell maybe it's a short turn at Flushing plain and simple.

They could start by allowing those buses to get signal priority along more parts of the route.  The bus hits so many red lights that even with no traffic, it still crawls.

2 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Yep. The Q44's also short-turn at Whitestone-14th Avenue (deadheads back to depot after), Lafayette Ave (first stop in Bronx) and H. Grant Cir (last 2 are unofficial layover IIRC).

The original plan for the Q94 was Flushing-Fordham Plz, dubbed a "super LTD", dunno what that means or how it works but I think it would be hard to find another way to Whitestone Br without replicating the Q44 too much or going too far out like College Pt Blvd and then the ridership base is another problem to tackle as well. Not many people transfer over......well, actually, a decent number do transfer over to the Bx9 after the 44 but that might just be terrible timing with the Bx9 which manages to find itself bunching one way or another. 

The way I see it, this hypothetical q94 could only work with some highway segment. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who would tolerate the q44 sbs' existing run from flushing to west farms plus a likely slow slog up to fordham (or bedford park for that matter if we're talking about an x32-esque service). It's gotta have some highway element to have anyone consider taking the thing. Perhaps run it local to fordham or west farms at the very very furthest, throw it on the cross bronx and send it down the whitestone into flushing. Transfer to a q44 sbs if you wish to travel further, or run a select few rush-hour only buses in an extension to Fresh Meadows or the center of eastern queens in order to serve the large numbers of bronx science students coming from that area. Basically like a school-tripper service.

Edited by Orion6025

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Yep. The Q44's also short-turn at Whitestone-14th Avenue (deadheads back to depot after), Lafayette Ave (first stop in Bronx) and H. Grant Cir (last 2 are unofficial layover IIRC).

The original plan for the Q94 was Flushing-Fordham Plz, dubbed a "super LTD", dunno what that means or how it works but I think it would be hard to find another way to Whitestone Br without replicating the Q44 too much or going too far out like College Pt Blvd and then the ridership base is another problem to tackle as well. Not many people transfer over......well, actually, a decent number do transfer over to the Bx9 after the 44 but that might just be terrible timing with the Bx9 which manages to find itself bunching one way or another. 

The MTA had an extra bus service type they were looking into Limited stop zone.. There would have been a nonstop section along the route itself I think the Q94 would have prob fit that type of service there were talking about.

51 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

The way I see it, this hypothetical q94 could only work with some highway segment. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who would tolerate the q44 sbs' existing run from flushing to west farms plus a likely slow slog up to fordham (or bedford park for that matter if we're talking about an x32-esque service). It's gotta have some highway element to have anyone consider taking the thing. Perhaps run it local to fordham or west farms at the very very furthest, throw it on the cross bronx and send it down the whitestone into flushing. Transfer to a q44 sbs if you wish to travel further, or run a select few rush-hour only buses in an extension to Fresh Meadows or the center of eastern queens in order to serve the large numbers of bronx science students coming from that area. Basically like a school-tripper service.

I don't think you need another route in. I think you can just set it up as a variant Q44 route itself kinda like Q20 A/B setup.. There's a mile and half Between west Farms and Fordham Plaza roughly what's that 3-4 SBS stops?  Buses Originating in Fordham don't go to Jamaica you short turn at Union Turnpike per say And on the other side that of spectrum Buses coming from Jamaica Don't pass the Bronx Zoo. You maybe have to add a bus or two to balance service out of Jamaica and maybe you short turn the extra at Main street not to over-serve the Bronx segment. The Q44/94 Ultimately could both serve the Main street corridor. Between the Bronx Zoo and Union Tkpe there the same bus. Just my take..  I guess my next question would be current frequency? And where the Bronx ridership are going on the current route How many people starting there trips in the Bronx are going all the way to Jamaica? 

Edited by RailRunRob

8 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

As someone who has had ups & downs with the old B82 local set up (a one & one long/short trip set because the line is ridiculously long) I was in favor of limited stops. After doing my form of homework, I firmly believe the 82 should be split apart, much like the old B61/new B62 scenario. I can think of many cases throughout the system where long lines need to be broken down and focus solely on serving case specific corridors, but if they still want a bus line to run from Spring Creek Towers to Bay 38 Street/Ulmer Park Depot... Let em have it. I don't see it succeeding, personally. But the B5/50 set up should encompass the locals. For the life of me, as a kid, I never understood why they combined them. Yet as an adult, after seeing my run pay on the 82, I didn't care as much lol

They only were combined to save money. Generally I am in favor of long routes to minimize the need for transferring. But in this case, they way they're had it before with two overlapping routes was far better because I doubt it if one single person who gets on at Bay Parkway or points south travels east of Rockaway Parkway. 

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The two of you should ride the route and that would answer your question.

I've ridden the Q44 from end to end. But it was later at night. Other times it was only to Parkchester from Flushing because the Trip from Merrick to Van Wyck Blvd Station took forever, I vowed to just take the Q27 or Q17 to  Flushing to spare me the sanity.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

They only were combined to save money. Generally I am in favor of long routes to minimize the need for transferring. But in this case, they way they're had it before with two overlapping routes was far better because I doubt it if one single person who gets on at Bay Parkway or points south travels east of Rockaway Parkway. 

When I worked the 82, the only individuals who came close to riding the line end to end were the west Indian nurses who work at the senior centers on Cropsey. They mostly live in Canarsie, the paerdegats & east flatbush. Aside from that, I've never seen any customer ride from Pennsylvania to bay parkway. 

7 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

What do you think of a Q44 extension to Fordham Plaza?

Never in a million years. That line already has enough problems, one of which is properly utilizing short signs. They Q44 is hanging on by a thread.. The saving grace has been quicker boarding. But no... Absolutely no line extensions. By the way, I just saw a Parkchester short sign last week, hallelujah. That's what they need more of.  

10 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

When I worked the 82, the only individuals who came close to riding the line end to end were the west Indian nurses who work at the senior centers on Cropsey. They mostly live in Canarsie, the paerdegats & east flatbush. Aside from that, I've never seen any customer ride from Pennsylvania to bay parkway. 

Thanks for the validation.

11 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

My ex wife owned a pair... $1100 on sale. That's all I'm saying.

Facts! He was talking about the average ones... The pair my ex-wife wants are $3790. 🙄

1 hour ago, Vtrain said:

Has anyone heard on when the Q25 SBS study will begin.

It actually started in 2016 if I recall correctly. These studies start long before the public hears about them. Example the B46 study began in 2008, but the public didn't hear about till 7 years later. 

5 minutes ago, East New York said:

These studies start long before the public hears about them. Example the B46 study began in 2008, but the public didn't hear about till 7 years later. 

So basically all proposed sbs routes will be done in future I presume? Also aren't there going to be newer sbs routes for the L train shuttle next year? They've been having hearings for them and I looked at the proposals and it looks like they aren't converting the M14 to SBS. 

20 minutes ago, East New York said:

It actually started in 2016 if I recall correctly. These studies start long before the public hears about them. Example the B46 study began in 2008, but the public didn't hear about till 7 years later. 

If they study each SBS route for seven years, no wonder they have no staff to study any other route changes. They think SBS is the on,y thing that needs to be done to fix the bus system. 

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

If they study each SBS route for seven years, no wonder they have no staff to study any other route changes. They think SBS is the on,y thing that needs to be done to fix the bus system. 

The mta needs to be gutted out and restructured. 

2 hours ago, East New York said:

Facts! He was talking about the average ones... The pair my ex-wife wants are $3790. 🙄

The Q25SBS was initially brought up when the Q44 was studied IIRC. It shows up in Q44 SBS documents.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:18 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I personally have had females get on the bus on Saturday nights asking for a free ride... Wearing authentic Christian Louboutin red bottom heels. So I definitely agree with this.

The grim reality is that a chick would rock Louboutin. Get picked up by a dude and if a dude refuses. They gotta hop on the bus for a free ride enticing the driver to give in.  😂😂😭😭🤣🤣🤣. 

On 2/5/2018 at 2:21 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And those shoes are a good $600-900 per pair. They were featured once on a financial show that I watch. If you can afford such expensive shoes, you can afford $2.75.

I've seen some go as far as $4,000.00+.  Went to a fashion week show 2 years ago for that line. That line is so expensive and it doesn't cater to a lot. However, if you are scammer (something I don't condone) than you are good!