OMNY Implementation/MetroCard Retirement Discussion Thread Bus Division

Lawrence St

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the buses in Queens are equipped with OMNY readers installed or not?  They said in November but then it got pushed back to December.  I know today is December 1st.  **Hopefully** every OMNY readers are installed by the middle of December so I can actually use the OMNY on the buses and say good bye to Metro Cards.

Thanks,

Mike

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Does anyone know if the buses in Queens are equipped with OMNY readers installed or not?  They said in November but then it got pushed back to December.  I know today is December 1st.  **Hopefully** every OMNY readers are installed by the middle of December so I can actually use the OMNY on the buses and say good bye to Metro Cards.

Thanks,

Mike

They are probably installed but not activated. Most if not all still say "Coming Soon".

50 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Nope some Brooklyn buses are already activated, I guess they aren't waiting to activate the readers anymore and just activate it as soon as its installed.

Cool, but he asked about Queens specifically. I just want him to err on the side of caution if OMNY isn't activated and I've yet to see OMNY activated on a lot of Queens buses.

18 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Cool, but he asked about Queens specifically. I just want him to err on the side of caution if OMNY isn't activated and I've yet to see OMNY activated on a lot of Queens buses.

I see about Queens buses. Well time will tell.  Right not it's Dec 1,2020.  We have 4 more weeks before 2021.

On 11/14/2020 at 11:19 AM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Remaining OMNY Bus Launches by Dec 2020

• Queens
• Brooklyn
• Including Select Bus Service (“SBS”)
All Door Boarding

It appears that Brooklyn is looking more likely than Queens for OMNY installation for the month of December.  Some buses in the Brooklyn Division are activated already.

Also, with the most recent transfers from Manhattan and The Bronx are active in the Brooklyn Division.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

It appears that Brooklyn is looking more likely than Queens for OMNY installation for the month of December.  Some buses in the Brooklyn Division are activated already.

Also, with the most recent transfers from Manhattan and The Bronx are active in the Brooklyn Division.

I was told just a few weeks ago that the program is still on-time. I am unsure of who is slated to go next, but the understanding is that Brooklyn and Queens will be ready by the end of this year. If not, then I would think by early 2021.

20 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Thanks,

Mike

End of year was what I was told. There's no exact date with that and that is unreasonable to be honest, given the circumstances. Please note that it will only be pay-per-ride whenever it is activated for Queens. Passes for OMNY and other discounts will follow at a date to be determined.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Thanks I see

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I was told just a few weeks ago that the program is still on-time. I am unsure of who is slated to go next, but the understanding is that Brooklyn and Queens will be ready by the end of this year. If not, then I would think by early 2021.

That’s a copy.  I’m just only seeing this thru observation with the way BK division has installed the bases already and some readers. However, end of the year is more likely Into January 2021. 

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

End of year was what I was told. There's no exact date with that and that is unreasonable to be honest, given the circumstances. Please note that it will only be pay-per-ride whenever it is activated for Queens. Passes for OMNY and other discounts will follow at a date to be determined.

I see.  But on the November meeting in the slide show they said by December too.  The Passes for OMNY and other discount will be somewhere in July and for the reduce fare it will be in September.  I hope they delay again.

Edited by mikecintel

17 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

That’s a copy.  I’m just only seeing this thru observation with the way BK division has installed the bases already and some readers. However, end of the year is more likely Into January 2021. 

Truth to be told, they are doing these things in blitzes. If you would've told me they would've had all of the curtains up on the express buses by the date they mentioned, I would've said no way, but they had it done in time. I had complained about some Bronx express buses not having OMNY on them (there are trips that College Point does on the BxM9), and the response I received was it would be resolved soon, as Queens will be online and Brooklyn, and that the project was still on-time, so that leaves us this month or early 2021. Early 2021 would only be a few weeks off, if that, which is great considering the situation. One thing that may be holding things up is, some of these readers are not working well. Sunday I had to tap five times with my phone before it accepted my payment. Friday, I used the phone to and from on the BxM2 with no problems. Told me my payment was "DECLINED, NOT ACCEPTED", then finally said "GO". There are also instances where it says "GO", but doesn't charge me, or it only charges me $2.75 instead of $6.75, so there are definitely some issues. It has worked better with a wireless card, but even then, there are issues, such as those noted above with not being charged, or being charged the wrong amount.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, mikecintel said:

I see.  But on the November meeting in the slide show they said by December too.  The Passes for OMNY and other discount will be somewhere in July and for the reduce fare it will be in September.  I hope they delay again.

Yeah, the delivery times have always been contingent on how reliable the readers are and security concerns, so that's why they keep rolling them out in stages, this way they can fine tune things. For example, they received a lot of complaints from passengers and drivers that were being charged accidentally because the range that the reader was set at was too high, so they had to go back and adjust all of those. That all takes time, and I would imagine they do that with whatever staff they have for it.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Truth to be told, they are doing these things in blitzes. If you would've told me they would've had all of the curtains up on the express buses by the date they mentioned, I would've said no way, but they had it done in time. I had complained about some Bronx express buses not have OMNY on them (they are trips that College Point do on the BxM9), and the response I received was it would be resolved soon, as Queens will be online and Brooklyn, and that the project was still on-time, so that leaves us this month or early 2021. Early 2021 would only be a few weeks off, if that, which is great considering the situation. One thing that may be holding things up is, some of these readers are not working well. Sunday I had to tap five times with my phone before it accepted my payment. Friday, I used the phone to and from on the BxM2 with no problems. Told me my payment was "DECLINED, NOT ACCEPTED", then finally said "GO". They are also instances where it says "GO", but doesn't charge me, or it only charges me $2.75 instead of $6.75, there are definitely some issues. It has worked better with a wireless card, but even the  there are issues, such as those noted above with not being charged or being charged the wrong amount.

Oh wow. Yes but with any new product there will be glitches and it will be fixed.