OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

48 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Probably still not worth it yet since they're on a transit benefits account without a contactless option for now.  The official reduced-fare OMNY would be the best way to go so waiting to fall is likely the best solution.

I see.  My parents are not on any transit benefits because they are retired.  Yes the official OMNY website would be the best solution to see when it launches for the reduce fare for seniors.  Probably it will be on the news anyway when it launches.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, 7-express said:

Probably still not worth it yet since they're on a transit benefits account without a contactless option for now.  The official reduced-fare OMNY would be the best way to go so waiting to fall is likely the best solution.

i have a edenred as my transit benefit that does do not contactless cards. i was able to add my edenred credit card as a default payment method for my omny account that i use with my physical omny card

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone get an email from the MTA OMNY because today is the 1st time I ever got an email saying my OMNY card has a "low balance".  I have only $5.50 on the card and it only came in my email and there is no text message from them.  It states this 

"Hi Mike,

Your OMNY card balance is low.

To prevent interruption as you travel, you may want to consider adding funds to your OMNY card.

You can access your OMNY account to add value to your OMNY card. You can also set up automatic reloads. Simply visit omny.info/signin to top up, tap on, and keep moving.

If you need support, you can visit our website at https://omny.info, email us at customersupport@omny.info, or call us at 877-789-6669. We do not monitor this mailbox.

© 2019 Metropolitan Transportation Authority. All rights reserved. All trademarks, services marks and trade names referenced in this material are the property of their respective owners. OMNY is a service provided by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority."

I though I would get a text message but I didn't.  I am just curious that is all.  Strange because when I purchase my 1st OMNY card before I misplace it I never had that message from the MTA before.

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Did anyone get an email from the MTA OMNY because today is the 1st time I ever got an email saying my OMNY card has a "low balance".  I have only $5.50 on the card and it only came in my email and there is no text message from them.  It states this 

"Hi Mike,

Your OMNY card balance is low.

To prevent interruption as you travel, you may want to consider adding funds to your OMNY card.

You can access your OMNY account to add value to your OMNY card. You can also set up automatic reloads. Simply visit omny.info/signin to top up, tap on, and keep moving.

If you need support, you can visit our website at https://omny.info, email us at customersupport@omny.info, or call us at 877-789-6669. We do not monitor this mailbox.

© 2019 Metropolitan Transportation Authority. All rights reserved. All trademarks, services marks and trade names referenced in this material are the property of their respective owners. OMNY is a service provided by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority."

I though I would get a text message but I didn't.  I am just curious that is all.  Strange because when I purchase my 1st OMNY card before I misplace it I never had that message from the MTA before.

Yes, I get it now as well. Annoying. Likely part of the latest software update they did. In the past, if you didn't have enough on your OMNY card while traveling, you would still be allowed to go, as the reader would just say "GO", and you could pay whatever you owed later. Your card would be suspended until you got your balance back to $0.00. Now, with this new message, I'm not sure if they allow you to go or not if you don't have enough to cover whatever your fare is. I only had one instance where I forgot to refill and it turned out to be fine, so I just took care of it later.

I still can't see my trips though, which is a problem because I know I was overcharged, but I can't see when.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, I get it now as well. Annoying. Likely part of the latest software update they did. In the past, if you didn't have enough on your OMNY card while traveling, you would still be allowed to go, as the reader would just say "GO", and you could pay whatever you owed later. Your card would be suspended until you got your balance back to $0.00. Now, with this new message, I'm not sure if they allow you to go or not if you don't have enough to cover whatever your fare is. I only had one instance where I forgot to refill and it turned out to be fine, so I just took care of it later.

I still can't see my trips though, which is a problem because I know I was overcharged, but I can't see when.

Yes most likely it the software upgrade.  The email should state what your OMNY card number ending in xxx and what is the remaining balance you have on the card so the user would know.  If a user has 2 cards how would they know which OMNY card is low?  I think I will call OMNY and give them that suggestion.

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

Yes most likely it the software upgrade.  The email should state what your OMNY card number ending in xxx and what is the remaining balance you have on the card so the user would know.  If a user has 2 cards how would they know which OMNY card is low?  I think I will call OMNY and give them that suggestion.

You'll know because that alert is only sent out when you are traveling, so it will be clear which card they are referring to.

44 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I actually don't even read the entire e-mail, but next time I will read it and see what it says.  I can just tell from the subject line.

OK I see.  I called the OMNY customer rep at my lunch time and I asked them about how can I get text notification about OMNY card and the rep said you have call us to "enable" the text update to your phone so you will get an alert about your OMNY card when it's a low balance or  you have insufficient money on the card or suspended.  The rep said if you want to "enable or disable" text notification you have to call OMNY Customer service to have that done.  I even made a suggestion about for the email and text that they should have the OMNY number ended in xxx and the balance you have left on the card and the rep said OK I will put in the feedback so they can update the software to have that.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My trip history has finally been restored just this morning. Took weeks, but I figured out what the culprit was. Took a trip in May that should've been charged as $6.75, but was charged $2.75 under "Other Route". This apparently created an error issue.

That's great it was been restored!  Wow that's a long time weeks to wait but then again it's the software side.  I see about the error on their end.

5 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

That's great it was been restored!  Wow that's a long time weeks to wait but then again it's the software side.  I see about the error on their end.

Yeah, they e-mailed me claiming they needed more info, so I went to check the account to call them back and saw that all of my trips now appear going back to last year. Over the weekend, I could only see trips into late May and then I would get the error message.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, they e-mailed me claiming they needed more info, so I went to check the account to call them back and saw that all of my trips now appear going back to last year. Over the weekend, I could only see trips into late May and then I would get the error message.

I see.

• 4 weeks later...

Got charged 2x times for FIRST time!

I just got charge 2x for the 1st time yesterday 7-12-22.  When I was doing a transfer from Brighton Beach from the B1 bus it was suppose to be a FREE transfer and instead they charge me 2x BUT the thing is they did show that it was $0.00 then $2.75 2x at 4:26PM.  So it goes something like this 4:26PM  $0.00, $2.75, $2.75.  I called OMNY today 7-13-22 and I spoke to CS and they did refund me $2.75 and the total was suppose to be $5.50 but instead I got $11.00 total refund.  At lunch I check again and it went to $5.50 again.  I called and I asked a different rep and he told me they took the $2.75 from the trips you took today so it make it back to $5.50.  I said OK that make sense.  Then what he told me about the refund is this:

"Within 30 day you are allowed to have a total 4x refunds"  He said the first 2 times it will be CS refund and after 2x they will have to "escalate to their help desk" to their supervisors for the refund and the supervisors can refund 2 times only.  That's only within 30 days.  Within 30 days more then 4x it will be case by case bases another words they are not obligated to refund you.  I am surprised that is NOT written in the Terms and conditions on their website.  Anyway this is Good info to know.  At least this is better then Metro Card because I had that issue where they double charge you and you call CS and you give them the serial number and they tell me "we don't see any double charge" at all so they can't give you a refund.  At least with OMNY you can get a refund.

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, 7-express said:

The MTA released a video on how to use a pre-tax benefits cards with OMNY.  It's for those who don't have contactless cards but it also works for credit/debit customers who don't want a thousand individual charges on their statements:

Thank you for the Info.  This is Great!

• 4 weeks later...

OMNY Vending machines coming Next Year!

Great News OMNY Vending machines coming next year and the Metro Card Vending machines will be removed.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2022/09/06/omny-machines-coming-to-the-mta-in-2023--sources-say

OMNY machines coming to the MTA in 2023, sources say

The MTA will soon begin phasing out MetroCard vending machines across the five boroughs, sources tell NY1. 

Sources say the MTA will begin replacing them with OMNY vending machines throughout the system in the first half of 2023, pending successful hardware and software testing.

It is not yet clear which subway stations will see the new vending machines first, or the pace of adoption. There are a total of 2,317 MetroCard vending machines in operation across the transit system, according to the MTA.

Both systems will be available for customer use until the MetroCard is officially retired. However, to accommodate the new OMNY vending machine installations, some MetroCard vending machines will be removed, according to sources.

In 2019, the city launched a public pilot of OMNY’s contactless payment system, which allowed riders to use credit cards, debit cards and smart devices to pay for fares at select subway stations and buses around the city.

Over the following year, the MTA expanded the system to all remaining subway stations and buses across the five boroughs.

For customers looking to stay ahead of the curb and purchase a physical OMNY card now, they can use cash, credit or debit at more than 2,000 retail locations in the New York metro area.

OMNY retail sales and reload locations include places such as CVS, Walgreens, 7-Eleven, independent drug stores and others, according to the MTA.

I wonder if they will have a list where you can see which subway station have OMNY Vending machines just like when they were installing the OMNY system with the subways. 

BTW 2 weeks they will talk about OMNY in the MTA monthly meeting. Can't wait to see what they will talk about OMNY and I can't wait to see the CPCM (Capital Program
Committee Meeting)  book.  Looking forward to the MTA meting in 2 weeks.

FYI - Physical OMNY CARD Reached CAP but states "Card not Accepted"

This just happened to today and I just want to post this up if ANYONE encounters this.  I reached the 12 rides and now I get the "unlimited ride for the week".  When I taped on the card reader it states "CARD NOT ACCEPTED".  I was wondering why and I already have the unlimited for the week so it shouldn't matter right?  WRONG! I called Customer service and I asked why is this happening.  The rep states "You NEED AT LEAST $2.75 or more on your card in order to use it. If you have $0 then it will say "CARD NOT ACCEPTED" and it will "suspended" your physical OMNY card even if you reached the 12 ride  and the 13 is unlimited rides for the week.

Someone I know, while not hitting the cap, was able to use their OMNY card with only $1.75 left , and going negative by $1. The balance was low for a few weeks so it wasnt like they just took a few rides all at once. 

A few minutes after , they got an email saying the card is suspended. Once they paid online to bring the balance back above 0 , card was reactivated no issues. 

5 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Someone I know, while not hitting the cap, was able to use their OMNY card with only $1.75 left , and going negative by $1. The balance was low for a few weeks so it wasnt like they just took a few rides all at once. 

A few minutes after , they got an email saying the card is suspended. Once they paid online to bring the balance back above 0 , card was reactivated no issues. 

On 9/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, mikecintel said:

FYI - Physical OMNY CARD Reached CAP but states "Card not Accepted"

This just happened to today and I just want to post this up if ANYONE encounters this.  I reached the 12 rides and now I get the "unlimited ride for the week".  When I taped on the card reader it states "CARD NOT ACCEPTED".  I was wondering why and I already have the unlimited for the week so it shouldn't matter right?  WRONG! I called Customer service and I asked why is this happening.  The rep states "You NEED AT LEAST $2.75 or more on your card in order to use it. If you have $0 then it will say "CARD NOT ACCEPTED" and it will "suspended" your physical OMNY card even if you reached the 12 ride  and the 13 is unlimited rides for the week.

They are having some software issues still, which is a problem. I noticed when I took the express bus yesterday going home, my OMNY card was suspended about twenty minutes after I tapped. That means if I needed to transfer, I would've had to have added more money to do so, which was not the case before. It's annoying because that means that you can't just add the amount you need for the day. You have to keep a minimum amount on the card. Before they would suspend it after a few hours to allow you to use the transfer on your card. Right now I only use the (MTA) a few times a week, so there's no need for me to be adding more than what I need.

8 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Oh wow!

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are having some software issues still, which is a problem. I noticed when I took the express bus yesterday going home, my OMNY card was suspended about twenty minutes after I tapped. That means if I needed to transfer, I would've had to have added more money to do so, which was not the case before. It's annoying because that means that you can't just add the amount you need for the day. You have to keep a minimum amount on the card. Before they would suspend it after a few hours to allow you to use the transfer on your card. Right now I only use the (MTA) a few times a week, so there's no need for me to be adding more than what I need.

Oh I see.  I didn't think it was software issue because the rep told me.  Oh wow thanks for letting us know.  It is annoying.

2 hours ago, mikecintel said:

Oh I see.  I didn't think it was software issue because the rep told me.  Oh wow thanks for letting us know.  It is annoying.

Well either it's a software issue or they made a change because they weren't suspending cards before so quickly. My card had a balance left on it. A small balance but a balance, plus I technically still had a transfer, so it shouldn't have suspended my card 25 minutes into the trip. I don't see why in your case you need to have a balance to take advantage of fare capping. They likely don't want people going into the negative.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well either it's a software issue or they made a change because they weren't suspending cards before so quickly. My card had a balance left on it. A small balance but a balance, plus I technically still had a transfer, so it shouldn't have suspended my card 25 minutes into the trip. I don't see why in your case you need to have a balance to take advantage of fare capping. They likely don't want people going into the negative.

I see.  Well that's what the rep said which I don't understand why.  Maybe they modified the software like you said.  Anyway from now on if there is a $0 balance and then I will immediately load money on it.  As a matter of fact it was my 1st time when it goes to  $0 I did not load money into it.  When it reach to $0 O always load money on it except on that after work I want to load when I go home and I though oh if it is $0 then it should be fine because when you reach the cap it does not need money anyway if you are taking a "free" ride.  I guess this is not the case.  That's true the MTA doesn't people going to negative balance. Learn something new every day with OMNY.  My OMNY replacement card never got suspended before.  It was the 1st time.

Edited by mikecintel