Former Septa Operator interested in working for NJ Transit as a Bus operator

jsutton1

Hello everyone, Im new to the online forum.  I recently applied for nj transit as a bus operator via paper application and mailed it to camden newton garage. I contacted some one in HR there at the depot and they told me i didn't have to mail it to the maplewood location.I am a former septa bus operator. I was reading some of the older posts for nj transit b/o and i didn't read anything recently updated about the camden depot or for nj transit b/o for that matter. i was wondering is that depot an ok place to work at and what is hiring process for getting into nj transit as well? Is there a pay difference, whether  you work south, central or northern nj transit?  i already have my cdls, also i have 6yrs bus driving exp to.  id prefer to work there than northern nj anyday. I know a little bit, like the benefits are different, meaning nj transit offers more than septa.  How long will it take to get fulltime (regular operator) especially at that depot? As an b/o at septa you start out as an extra board person, then you move to the hold downs, then you finally become regular, by that time you would have put in about a decade or more to even get to that point.  I didnt want to go through all them steps just to get to become a regular.  what are the routes like in south jersey? Also i read that now they hiring provisional b/o, what does that exactly mean versus part time b/o? 

Thanks

Any feedback would be helpful

Hello everyone, Im new to the online forum.  I recently applied for nj transit as a bus operator via paper application and mailed it to camden newton garage. I contacted some one in HR there at the depot and they told me i didn't have to mail it to the maplewood location.I am a former septa bus operator. I was reading some of the older posts for nj transit b/o and i didn't read anything recently updated about the camden depot or for nj transit b/o for that matter. i was wondering is that depot an ok place to work at and what is hiring process for getting into nj transit as well? Is there a pay difference, whether  you work south, central or northern nj transit?  i already have my cdls, also i have 6yrs bus driving exp to.  id prefer to work there than northern nj anyday. I know a little bit, like the benefits are different, meaning nj transit offers more than septa.  How long will it take to get fulltime (regular operator) especially at that depot? As an b/o at septa you start out as an extra board person, then you move to the hold downs, then you finally become regular, by that time you would have put in about a decade or more to even get to that point.  I didnt want to go through all them steps just to get to become a regular.  what are the routes like in south jersey? Also i read that now they hiring provisional b/o, what does that exactly mean versus part time b/o? 

Thanks

I forgot to mention to, do i have to relocate to nj even though i have a pa cdl? Philly is right across the Del river.

Provisional bus operator is what they're calling the position now. There are no part time operators any more. NJT is hiring straight full time workers. You start out on 3 months probation and get your benefits after one year of service. You DO HAVE to relocate to NJ in order to continue working with NJT. They give you a year from your start date, as per state law. After training, you will be on the extra board and depending on the depot, seniority, work (and all that jazz), you may or may not be able to pick a run. A friend of mines started at Oradell, is doing his first pick on the extra list but will be able to pick something the next go around.

Keep in mind that you may not be able to go to that depot. They will send you to whichever depots are open when you start training,

Provisional bus operator is what they're calling the position now. There are no part time operators any more. NJT is hiring straight full time workers. You start out on 3 months probation and get your benefits after one year of service. You DO HAVE to relocate to NJ in order to continue working with NJT. They give you a year from your start date, as per state law. After training, you will be on the extra board and depending on the depot, seniority, work (and all that jazz), you may or may not be able to pick a run. A friend of mines started at Oradell, is doing his first pick on the extra list but will be able to pick something the next go around.

Keep in mind that you may not be able to go to that depot. They will send you to whichever depots are open when you start training,

Thanks for responding back. Do you or anyone you know have any info on that depot in particular?  Or better yet whats the next closest depot to work at besides newton depot that's not so bad as for as routes an such?

Thanks for responding back. Do you or anyone you know have any info on that depot in particular?  Or better yet whats the next closest depot to work at besides newton depot that's not so bad as for as routes an such?

Also how many hours are you guaranteed when starting out as a provisional driver, i hear its 30hrs max, wasnt to sure?

Also how many hours are you guaranteed when starting out as a provisional driver, i hear its 30hrs max, wasnt to sure?

I just started working for NJT. To my understanding, you're guaranteed 40 hrs. 

Provisional bus operator is what they're calling the position now. There are no part time operators any more. NJT is hiring straight full time workers. You start out on 3 months probation and get your benefits after one year of service. 

I was told that after 1 year you only get 1 week off. No benefits until someone from the garage you're working out of retires. 

I just started working for NJT. To my understanding, you're guaranteed 40 hrs. 

I was told that after 1 year you only get 1 week off. No benefits until someone from the garage you're working out of retires. 

what depot are out of saniter?

thankyou for responding. How is it working there so far? I didnt understand when u said no benifits until someone retires, wow!!

what depot are out of saniter?

thankyou for responding. How is it working there so far? I didnt understand when u said no benifits until someone retires, wow!!

Im out of 1 of the garages in North Jersey. So far Im just training but it appears to be decent. Yea to my understanding to benefits until someone retires or leaves the garage youre working at

I thought u said benefits come after 3mths from your earlier post? I'm a little confused, is it 3mtjs or when someone retires.

No, to my understanding,  after 3 months you come off of probation...benefits come after someone retires or leaves a garage. 

• 1 month later...

How is the road test?..Is it hard?

I got my license thru NJT a few years back. Assuming they didnt change it. Road test was a joke. All the students meet at one place (possibly market street training place cant remember). A NJ instructor will be there with a coach or nabi and they'll take you down to Howell garage. Once there instructor will take you thru course before you actually do it.

Again if its the same not in any order.Pre trip inspection. Stop sign, you have to stop within a certain distance of a cone in relation to your bumper. 90 degree right turn (as close as possible to cone), RR crossing. Alley dock (this is the hardest part based on experience). Tester will board bus at this point you'll go onto road. Which is about 5 6 minutes and thats it.

If you train at a garage with coaches and hard seaters. Test will be done with coach

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, Im new to the online forum. I recently applied for nj transit as a bus operator via paper application and mailed it to camden newton garage. I contacted some one in HR there at the depot and they told me i didn't have to mail it to the maplewood location.I am a former septa bus operator. I was reading some of the older posts for nj transit b/o and i didn't read anything recently updated about the camden depot or for nj transit b/o for that matter. i was wondering is that depot an ok place to work at and what is hiring process for getting into nj transit as well? Is there a pay difference, whether you work south, central or northern nj transit? i already have my cdls, also i have 6yrs bus driving exp to. id prefer to work there than northern nj anyday. I know a little bit, like the benefits are different, meaning nj transit offers more than septa. How long will it take to get fulltime (regular operator) especially at that depot? As an b/o at septa you start out as an extra board person, then you move to the hold downs, then you finally become regular, by that time you would have put in about a decade or more to even get to that point. I didnt want to go through all them steps just to get to become a regular. what are the routes like in south jersey? Also i read that now they hiring provisional b/o, what does that exactly mean versus part time b/o?

Thanks

I forgot to mention to, do i have to relocate to nj even though i have a pa cdl? Philly is right across the Del river.

Now I left NJT about 2 years ago. I honestly recommend if anyone applies to work at NJT apply for positions that'll be on the rail side of the company. NJ knows what they want from their rail dept. Training, benefits, etc are established and clearly explained with exact tinelibe, plus all public transit agencies live their railroads followed by subways/light rails then buses.

With bus dept. They use to hire full time youd wait your usual 30 60 days then your bennies kick in. Somewhere along the line they started hiring PT only. Now its provisional i thought it was like NYCT turns out it wasnt. Speak to Saniter for details.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Archived