Staten island Express buses

Gleasonbus7560

I have noticed that Staten island Depots are using Express buses for School runs during the afternoon to pick up Students on The S78 including Prevost buses that have just entered service for example I saw bus 2717 on the S78 on Tuesday of this week makes me scratch my head they are going to ruin these buses very quickly

They've been doing this for a while. These school trippers have an express piece right after, with little time to go back to the depot to swap buses. To keep the rest of the run on time (and to keep, you know people from complaining), the operators take an express bus for a whole run.

They've been doing this for a while. These school trippers have an express piece right after, with little time to go back to the depot to swap buses. To keep the rest of the run on time (and to keep, you know people from complaining), the operators take an express bus for a whole run.

That's just asking for trouble if you ask me. I don't know if these SI trippers are as well used, but literally every Fort Hamilton tripper has standees. Every single one. I doubt an express bus can carry that many people plus I'm really surprised that express bus riders haven't been complaining yet.

Why don't hey just separate the express runs and have the school trippers turn into a local route right after. Giving those runs an express component right after is so counter intuitive.

I just feel it is unfair that the Prevost buses that are new to the fleet and the kids will rip them up to shreds and the people who pay 6.50 each way will be subjected to ripped up seats ,careless as far as I'm concerned on the MTA if you ask me

I just feel it is unfair that the Prevost buses that are new to the fleet and the kids will rip them up to shreds and the people who pay 6.50 each way will be subjected to ripped up seats ,careless as far as I'm concerned on the MTA if you ask me

Now the question is: Has it actually happened yet? I think we'd be hearing about it if express riders were getting on a bunch of buses with torn up seats, since these trippers have been operating with express buses for a while.

Note that I actually agree that it would make more sense to just interline them with other local runs.

It's taking a chance, depending on the school. Haven't seen any express equipment on the SI Tech S57 and S79 specials. But those kids wouldn't be a problem, the New Dorp High kids are another story.

BTW, the S79 SI Tech school special no longer makes that tight right turn from Clawson Street to Beach Avenue, but continues up Clawson turning right at New Dorp Lane, then left onto Hylan Blvd. The S78 school special was eliminated a few years ago.

It's taking a chance, depending on the school. Haven't seen any express equipment on the SI Tech S57 and S79 specials. But those kids wouldn't be a problem, the New Dorp High kids are another story.

BTW, the S79 SI Tech school special no longer makes that tight right turn from Clawson Street to Beach Avenue, but continues up Clawson turning right at New Dorp Lane, then left onto Hylan Blvd. The S78 school special was eliminated a few years ago.

Specialized vs zoned what would you expect 

does anyone know if SI tech kids take the X1 bus to get to/from school, is that a thing?

Quite possible. SI Tech is a specialized High School and open to anyone in the 5 boros who passes the entrance exam. Most SI Tech kids live on SI or in Brooklyn but I wouldn't be surprised if a few Manhattan kids attend.

Quite possible. SI Tech is a specialized High School and open to anyone in the 5 boros who passes the entrance exam. Most SI Tech kids live on SI or in Brooklyn but I wouldn't be surprised if a few Manhattan kids attend.

Well, keep in mind that students are issued metrocards which probably don't work on express buses (although I could be wrong).

Well, keep in mind that students are issued metrocards which probably don't work on express buses (although I could be wrong).

Yes, they're good for 3 trips a day on the local bus or subway.

Still, some might feel the time saved is worth the $6.50 per trip or $57.25 per week.

Yes, they're good for 3 trips a day on the local bus or subway.

Still, some might feel the time saved is worth the $6.50 per trip or $57.25 per week.

On the one hand, yes, but high school students are probably some of the least likely people to have extra disposable income. 

On the one hand, yes, but high school students are probably some of the least likely people to have extra disposable income. 

I see plenty of SI Tech kids dropped off from luxury cars, so maybe they're better off than the average HS kid.

The full-fare student metrocards used to cover half of the express bus fare, so you'd have to pay the rest in coins.

I had a friend back in high school who did exactly that, and the B/O he usually got gave him such a hard time about it because he never saw any other students use the express bus. My friend ultimately had to file a complaint against him because the harassment got so ridiculous. 

I think they got rid of that back in 2009 or so. 

Believe me, I'm only a few years out of high school myself, so I remember those days lol.

I see plenty of SI Tech kids dropped off from luxury cars, so maybe they're better off than the average HS kid.

I will say that I know a lot of classmates at my middle school, who paid ridiculous amounts of money for tutoring to pass the SHSAT to get into SI Tech. (Meanwhile me, I rolled out of bed and took the test and still qualified to get in). Most of the students live in SI or Brooklyn, but I'm sure there's people from the other boroughs whose parents have no problem paying $6.50 for the express bus. I know a girl whose brother got into Stuyvesant, who paid the express bus fare every day to commute back and forth.

The problem with the X1 is that it runs once an hour around that time. I know there's a 6:30AM from Midtown and a 7:30AM from Midtown. But otherwise, you can easily save 30-45 minutes off your commute. Even if you value your time at the level of minimum wage, the express bus is still a good deal.

The full-fare student metrocards used to cover half of the express bus fare, so you'd have to pay the rest in coins.

I had a friend back in high school who did exactly that, and the B/O he usually got gave him such a hard time about it because he never saw any other students use the express bus. My friend ultimately had to file a complaint against him because the harassment got so ridiculous. 

That only applied to MTA Bus Lines, not NYCT. It's a holdover from the days of the private companies. Unfortunately, it didn't apply to NYCT routes.

Friends' son attends Xavier HS in Manhattan. He usually takes the train to ferry in the a.m., but many times takes the X1 in the p.m. on the days when he has late-running after school activities.

even with that students still use Express buses I go to Brooklyn Tech and plenty of SI kids take the express bus although I'm pretty sure some kids from Queens could also take the express bus but most people in Queens who can afford it woudl rather take the LIRR 

Also I pretty sure LIRR student passes is less than a express bus passes 

Student card no longer work on express buses as of 2010 when they cut the x32 

even with that students still use Express buses I go to Brooklyn Tech and plenty of SI kids take the express bus although I'm pretty sure some kids from Queens could also take the express bus but most people in Queens who can afford it woudl rather take the LIRR 

Also I pretty sure LIRR student passes is less than a express bus passes 

$145 for a monthly pass, but it's not valid on the subway or local bus like the express bus pass.

Student card no longer work on express buses as of 2010 when they cut the x32 

The discount was cut in 2009. The X32 was cut in 2010.

That's not really a good indicator of what the income distribution of the transit-riding portion of the school is though. Maybe all the rich people exclusively get dropped off and picked up and none of them take transit.

It's also entirely possible to purchase a used luxury car or lease one, which doesn't require nearly as much financial security as buying one.

Archived