Most reliable subway lines?

Lordsaitamaboss

I use the (A) a lot and it takes me like an hour to get to Chambers St or an hour & 10 minutes if it runs local along Fulton St. The only thing I hate about the (A) is the 15 minutes headway schedule but I have to deal with it. I normally avoid it in the winter if the draw bridge over Jamaica Bay gets stuck, especially after a snow storm. Sometimes the train comes late, switch problems at Rockaway Blvd or Broad Channel or train brakes down over Broad Channel.

I use the (A) a lot and it takes me like an hour to get to Chambers St or an hour & 10 minutes if it runs local along Fulton St. The only thing I hate about the (A) is the 15 minutes headway schedule but I have to deal with it. I normally avoid it in the winter if the draw bridge over Jamaica Bay gets stuck, especially after a snow storm. Sometimes the train comes late, switch problems at Rockaway Blvd or Broad Channel or train brakes down over Broad Channel.

When you avoid it, what do you use in place of it? The QM17?

When you avoid it, what do you use in place of it? The QM17?

My first alternative is to take the Q113 LTD to Jamaica and catch the (E) . Second alternative is to take the Q22 to Rockaway Beach Blvd/ Beach 73 St, transfer to the Q52 LTD to Rockaway Blvd (A) . The Q22 in the morning is usually pack going towards Roxbury, the schedule is a bit off, late and sometimes they bunch up like 2 or 3. Plus, the last QM17 to leave on my block to Midtown is 8:05am. My spring semester start this Friday & I have class that starts at 12pm. My normal commute is usually the Q22 to Mott Av & I catch the (A) .

My first alternative is to take the Q113 LTD to Jamaica and catch the (E) . Second alternative is to take the Q22 to Rockaway Beach Blvd/ Beach 73 St, transfer to the Q52 LTD to Rockaway Blvd (A) . The Q22 in the morning is usually pack going towards Roxbury, the schedule is a bit off, late and sometimes they bunch up like 2 or 3. Plus, the last QM17 to leave on my block to Midtown is 8:05am. My spring semester start this Friday & I have class that starts at 12pm. My normal commute is usually the Q22 to Mott Av & I catch the (A) .

So the QM17 is a no-no in your case... Still some commute... Don't envy you...

I vote for the 1. Short headways all day. Even  if the ridership holds the train back, you aint waiting more than 5 minutes for your train. It's the only train I know where it's ok to not sweat it, just get on the next train coming right up. Unless the road blows up or  there's a late night or weekend G.O going on, you aren't going to be waiting in a subway station too long. As for the 2 and the 5, well you better hope your place of employment isn't too far or you ain't gonna be holding a job for too long waiting for those animals. The six train is just too crowded. The transit authority hasn't figured out a way to run the 4 train on time and if you live in the Bronx expect every couple of trains to skip your stop during rush hour northbound. The 3 train is probably the most reliable express line on the IRT. The 7 train is only slightly less reliable than the 1. As for the lettered lines I've only used the A-C lines consistently to give any opinion. Going home during the rush hours and evenings it's not uncommon for the A train to get held back for minutes by ridership holding doors for other passengers, by passengers boarding the train single file through one door, by teenagers Bsing with their friends that left the train, by a stream of passengers that just keep coming, one holding the door for the next. Just when you think the doors finally closed, there's one more passenger that forgot they were even on a train holding the train back for yet another flow of passengers, all this while the next A train is only 2-3 minutes behind. This happens to a lot of IND lines as well.

I vote for the 1. Short headways all day. Even  if the ridership holds the train back, you aint waiting more than 5 minutes for your train. It's the only train I know where it's ok to not sweat it, just get on the next train coming right up. Unless the road blows up or  there's a late night or weekend G.O going on, you aren't going to be waiting in a subway station too long. As for the 2 and the 5, well you better hope your place of employment isn't too far or you ain't gonna be holding a job for too long waiting for those animals. The six train is just too crowded. The transit authority hasn't figured out a way to run the 4 train on time and if you live in the Bronx expect every couple of trains to skip your stop during rush hour northbound. The 3 train is probably the most reliable express line on the IRT. The 7 train is only slightly less reliable than the 1. As for the lettered lines I've only used the A-C lines consistently to give any opinion. Going home during the rush hours and evenings it's not uncommon for the A train to get held back for minutes by ridership holding doors for other passengers, by passengers boarding the train single file through one door, by teenagers Bsing with their friends that left the train, by a stream of passengers that just keep coming, one holding the door for the next. Just when you think the doors finally closed, there's one more passenger that forgot they were even on a train holding the train back for yet another flow of passengers, all this while the next A train is only 2-3 minutes behind. This happens to a lot of IND lines as well.

Very true... The (1) is pretty decent, but it's become more packed.  I could see that line having similar problems that the (6) has if more capacity isn't added. Becoming too crowded.

Very true... The (1) is pretty decent, but it's become more packed.  I could see that line having similar problems that the (6) has if more capacity isn't added. Becoming too crowded.

Yes! that is the truth. Yesterday the 2-3 were running local from Chambers st to 96st northbound and wow I gotta say it was a smooth ride. Trains were only moving 15-18mph and trains were STILL getting up to 242st on time, all the stations were very manageable. So there's still room for more capacity but not too much lol, it'll likely create huge problems whenever a train is stalled. I feel it's alot likelier for TA to switch over to a whole new fleet of trains for the 1 line than adding extra service. That's going to be where the problems really begin lol.

Yes! that is the truth. Yesterday the 2-3 were running local from Chambers st to 96st northbound and wow I gotta say it was a smooth ride. Trains were only moving 15-18mph and trains were STILL getting up to 242st on time, all the stations were very manageable. So there's still room for more capacity but not too much lol, it'll likely create huge problems whenever a train is stalled. I feel it's alot likelier for TA to switch over to a whole new fleet of trains for the 1 line than adding extra service. That's going to be where the problems really begin lol.

Well those trains will likely be around for a while, but yes, I would LOVE to see new trains on the (1).  I don't use the line often since I am not near the subway in Riverdale, but I would say that Southbound, the ride is fast.  Going to 242nd street at night past rush hour however can be a pain.  Trains tend to sit and wait a bit at 215th and 238th in particular.

Well those trains will likely be around for a while, but yes, I would LOVE to see new trains on the (1).  I don't use the line often since I am not near the subway in Riverdale, but I would say that Southbound, the ride is fast.  Going to 242nd street at night past rush hour however can be a pain.  Trains tend to sit and wait a bit at 215th and 238th in particular.

In order to provide speedy & reliable 1 train service where a person doesn't need to wait more than 3-5 minutes during rush hour for their trains, train crews might crank it up a notch or two thus creating a bit of a bottleneck particularly on the last 3 uptown stops because dispatch might not always crank it up a notch or two dispatching the trains back down. It's really no one's fault but it does hurt those 3 stops sometimes.

In order to provide speedy & reliable 1 train service where a person doesn't need to wait more than 3-5 minutes during rush hour for their trains, train crews might crank it up a notch or two thus creating a bit of a bottleneck particularly on the last 3 uptown stops because dispatch might not always crank it up a notch or two dispatching the trains back down. It's really no one's fault but it does hurt those 3 stops sometimes.

Yes, the waits are painful for those of us who have to get off at 242nd.  Similar to the waits on the (4) to go to Woodlawn.

Yes, the waits are painful for those of us who have to get off at 242nd.  Similar to the waits on the (4) to go to Woodlawn.

To be perfectly honest with you, that sort of thing only happens during the evenings when the RCC just doesn't give a dam anymore lol and train crews forget to stop being in midtown mode and it's still rare. Sometimes you got a particularly speedy train crew that manages to get you uptown -2-3-4 minutes faster than the scheduled time so they reach 238st before the next scheduled train leaves 242st. So just know that you got uptown quicker than you should have and now you're waiting out some of that extra time if not all lol. Waiting sucks any way you look at it, please don't take it as an excuse lol.

To be perfectly honest with you, that sort of thing only happens during the evenings when the RCC just doesn't give a dam anymore lol and train crews forget to stop being in midtown mode and it's still rare. Sometimes you got a particularly speedy train crew that manages to get you uptown -2-3-4 minutes faster than the scheduled time so they reach 238st before the next scheduled train leaves 242st. So just know that you got uptown quicker than you should have and now you're waiting out some of that extra time if not all lol. Waiting sucks any way you look at it, please don't take it as an excuse lol.

Oh yes I know.  That's why I don't opt for the subway to get home unless there are no other options.  For what it's worth though, I have been screwed over a few times and had no choice but to get the (1) late at night and the ride was fairly quick, so I guess it depends.

I've been fortunate to have the (1) as my home line. On weekdays especially, on a perfect time it can be as sure as the sun rise when it comes to (1) trains arriving on time. Even at nights when I'm trying to get home as soon as possible, there's certain times where I've only waited two or three minutes at 207th St for a train in the front side and have the car all to myself lol. The (1) is decent no doubt but not without it's problems. Weekends can be a pain if there's construction or G.O.'s.

OK what about the (M)(R) and (N) and (B) trains least reliable and why?

(R) is definitely least reliable due to constantly switches and track sharing.

(M) is pretty good I have no complaints for it.

The (N) is good and it's fast.

The (B) I feel runs on time for the most part because is not frequent enough in my opinion same with the (D).

OK what about the (M)(R) and (N) and (B) trains least reliable and why?

(M) doesn't have many problems imo.

(R) is too infrequent and late.

(N) stalls too much at 59 St, Brooklyn. Also crawls a bit anywhere between Atlantic Av and the 60 St tubes.

(B) just has a crawl between Grand St and Atlantic Av, as well as being as fast or slower than a local (Q).

Archived