WMATA to suspend service due to snowstorm

DetSMART45

All WMATA rail and bus will not operate on Saturday and Sunday; rail will shutdown 11pm Friday and final bus trips will leave at 5pm Friday.  Everything's supposed to be working Monday.  MBTA Boston has offered their snow clearing equipment also.

Maryland MTA services have no notices posted yet, and the couple Virginia buses I checked only had advisories about service being delayed because of the snowstorm.  They'll probably follow WMATA later tonight.

WMATA Press Release

Why does bus service end so early? I would've had the buses run until at least 8:30 PM

5:00 is when the official blizzard warning kicks in, so I think they're trying to reinforce that idea with customers.  Plus get the routes done and buses back before everything really goes to hell.  I think plenty of people are going to skedaddle from work early or once the snow/winds kick in (or not go in at all), so surface transit should be light -- even lighter than a regular Friday.  Schools are already closing, as I type this, so parents are going to have to entertain the youngsters too.

Remember, with just 1 inch of snow yesterday, everything came to a halt.  Some people got stuck on the roads until this morning.  Lots of people are going to more seriously change their plans given the pictures and experiences from that.

5:00 is when the official blizzard warning kicks in, so I think they're trying to reinforce that idea with customers.  Plus get the routes done and buses back before everything really goes to hell.  I think plenty of people are going to skedaddle from work early or once the snow/winds kick in (or not go in at all), so surface transit should be light -- even lighter than a regular Friday.  Schools are already closing, as I type this, so parents are going to have to entertain the youngsters too.

Remember, with just 1 inch of snow yesterday, everything came to a halt.  Some people got stuck on the roads until this morning.  Lots of people are going to more seriously change their plans given the pictures and experiences from that.

4 inches of snow shuts DC down. Im in the DMV area often you can always tell folk from Boston and NYC by how they drive during snow it's usually the person full speed in the left lane haha. :D

Most commuter buses are now cancelling service.  Some in VA are cutting service between 1pm and 3pm.  MD is ending most PM routes at 3pm.  DASH (Alexandria) is stopping at 3pm, being specific with: "Any trip that is scheduled to start at its first time point at 3:00 p.m., and prior, will operate in its entirety. Any trip that is scheduled to start at 3:01 p.m., and after, will not operate."  ART (Arlington) and DC Circulator are still on the fence.

AMTRAK is hoping for the best with schedules only modified for the Acela, but others that pass through DC are being cancelled or shortened.

People are going to be exhibiting a whole lotta cabin fever once Monday comes, if this turns out as they're predicting.

Archived