Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

It's not public.

The Eastern Division has some of the shortest distances between stops, especially the (J). Extending platforms to run a grand total of two extra cars is not really going to make anyone walk any shorter.

I just changed it so that you can see if you have the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantasy Subway Update: Canarsie Line mapping is also finished! 

Link here (and there should be no issues with viewability-I checked): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gb7mMQ_92iSAQZxGFYhVfOw1QpQ&usp=sharing

How's the Canarsie Line looking? Can I do anything to make it better?

Edited by pringle5095

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Making everything run 600' trains in the east is more than just extending platforms...

Switches and signals would have to be relocated, and in certain places (Bway Junction & Rockaway Pkwy come to mind), it's just outright infeasible. Not to mention all of the yards would have to be reconfigured to handle them.

The barn at ENY has to be extended, along with all of the layup tracks. The deck can definitely hold 10 (possibly 12) cars, but the track layout in the lower yard has to be reconfigured. And given the space there (a street on one side and the bus depot on the other side), the yard footprint isn't big enough for it.

Fresh Pond yard has no room for an extension with the bus depot surrounding it, Canarsie barely has room, but it'll be a tight fit.

This is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" problems.

Facts....

Speaking of lengthening platforms, the main problem with connecting the (J) to the (G) with a transfer is that neither Hewes nor Lorimer Street is right above Union Avenue. Well... why not simply extend one of those stations' platforms to 600 feet? That would bring it closer to Union Avenue so a connection would be easier to build, and also be progress in terms of upgrading the Eastern Division.

Cue a proposal for the MTA to actually open a free MetroCard transfer which, of course, they won't do until 2019, and then only for 18 months. A better proposal would be an infill station, but that's not happening either since that's too expensive for a marginal benefit. (Lorimer St (J)(M) and Broadway (G) are two blocks away at their closest, so a passageway between them now would work finely.)

Ah, one of the quirks of having three formerly separate subway systems. So close to each other, they can almost connect. Just not quite.

Making everything run 600' trains in the east is more than just extending platforms...

Switches and signals would have to be relocated, and in certain places (Bway Junction & Rockaway Pkwy come to mind), it's just outright infeasible. Not to mention all of the yards would have to be reconfigured to handle them.

The barn at ENY has to be extended, along with all of the layup tracks. The deck can definitely hold 10 (possibly 12) cars, but the track layout in the lower yard has to be reconfigured. And given the space there (a street on one side and the bus depot on the other side), the yard footprint isn't big enough for it.

Fresh Pond yard has no room for an extension with the bus depot surrounding it, Canarsie barely has room, but it'll be a tight fit.

This is one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" problems.

I get it, but at least on the Broadway-Brooklyn and Myrtle Avenue portions,it's worth doing since it would allow the (M) (which can then be based in Jamaica Yard) to run 600' trains and give greater flexibility if emergency re-routes are needed via the Williamsburg Bridge.  Plus in the case of the Nassau Street stations that should be done anyway to allow for a future connection from the SAS.  

Did you really get rid of the (orangeM) ?

Yes... although the (brownM) would still use QBL on part of its route (extend Myrtle Av Line up there). Some of the service patterns I needed for Brooklyn (and Staten Island) would have been impossible had I not done this.

Fantasy Subway Update: BMT Nassau St Line mapping is complete!

Link:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xedc2r9O1Skrfia1xaxZZPjEXAk&usp=sharing

Rockaway and Brookville Blvds in Rosedale is a terrible place to terminate the (M). That's a pretty swampy area prone to flooding. If it wasn't for politics, I would have the subway extended down to Green Acres via under Merrick.

Rockaway and Brookville Blvds in Rosedale is a terrible place to terminate the (M). That's a pretty swampy area prone to flooding. If it wasn't for politics, I would have the subway extended down to Green Acres via under Merrick.

Actually, that's not even the (brownM) train! That's the (Z)'s replacement (the Z will be the new name for the Franklin Av Line which will be extended), the (DELTA). The (DELTA) runs at all times between Port Ivory, Staten Island and Brookville Blvd, Queens via the Staten Island Express, Nassau St Line, Jamaica Express, Archer Av Express, and Farmers Blvd Express. The (M) runs its pre-2010 cuts route from Metropolitan Av-South Brooklyn at all times, except it is extended to Coney Island, and runs via Sea Beach instead of West End.

Actually, that's not even the (brownM) train! That's the (Z)'s replacement (the Z will be the new name for the Franklin Av Line which will be extended), the (DELTA). The (DELTA) runs at all times between Port Ivory, Staten Island and Brookville Blvd, Queens via the Staten Island Express, Nassau St Line, Jamaica Express, Archer Av Express, and Farmers Blvd Express. The (M) runs its pre-2010 cuts route from Metropolitan Av-South Brooklyn at all times, except it is extended to Coney Island, and runs via Sea Beach instead of West End.

Why is someone from los angeles making proposal about nyc?

You should be looking to extend that (DELTA) line a bit further to Hempstead Avenue and Belmont Park.  As I have brought up many times, I would do that and work to have a yard underneath the current backstretch parking lot at Belmont that could easily be right now built as cut-and-cover (since that area is not used much outside of Belmont Stakes Day).   That can make Belmont Park into a park-and-ride facility if you terminate it there with a barebones station on the backstretch that can be used on Belmont Stakes day (and certain other major race days) and be used as part of the yard the rest of the time (the main Belmont Park Terminal would be near the Grandstand entrance). 

You should be looking to extend that (DELTA) line a bit further to Hempstead Avenue and Belmont Park. As I have brought up many times, I would do that and work to have a yard underneath the current backstretch parking lot at Belmont that could easily be right now built as cut-and-cover (since that area is not used much outside of Belmont Stakes Day). That can make Belmont Park into a park-and-ride facility if you terminate it there with a barebones station on the backstretch that can be used on Belmont Stakes day (and certain other major race days) and be used as part of the yard the rest of the time (the main Belmont Park Terminal would be near the Grandstand entrance).

Wouldn't that cause the Subway to have to be called a railroad? I thought Belmont Park was in Nassau County, therefore not in NYC?

Oh dear, I sent the wrong again. I am so sorry to whoever I quoted here! That is not the (DELTA)! That is the (J) I was talking about! The (J) runs from Liberty Island, Manhattan to Brookville Blvd, Queens. The (DELTA) runs from Port Ivory, Staten Island to Springfield Blvd/Hempstead Av, Queens.

Wouldn't that cause the Subway to have to be called a railroad? I thought Belmont Park was in Nassau County, therefore not in NYC?

Actually, no.

While Belmont Park is officially located in Elmont, NY (Nassau County), the grandstand side of the building is actually in Queens, while the clubhouse is in Nassau County.  The area of the clubhouse exchange and the tunnel where the horses go from the paddock to the main track is literally the border between Queens and Nassau Counties.  

That's why in all my proposals, the (E) and/or (J) would be extended to Belmont Park as subway, with the main terminal being near the main entrance to the grandstand and then if possibly going across to the backstretch parking lot and building a yard underneath that on the side that faces the grandstand.  

That's why in all my proposals, the (E) and/or (J) would be extended to Belmont Park as subway, with the main terminal being near the main entrance to the grandstand and then if possibly going across to the backstretch parking lot and building a yard underneath that on the side that faces the grandstand.  

LMAO. Both the (E)and (J)? Is that really a wise use of 4-track capacity when large swaths of southeast Queens are without subway service?

LMAO. Both the (E)and (J)? Is that really a wise use of 4-track capacity when large swaths of southeast Queens are without subway service?

Actually, the (J) in my proposal goes to Brookville Blvd and Rockaway Blvd in Queens. The (E) and (DELTA) would go out to Belmont for me

Hmm. I'm intrigued by the summer service notice...that's basically a loop (M) train if I'm reading that correctly. I wonder why...perhaps trying to keep the (S) service to Rockaway Blvd intact for the beach riders?

Another thing I noticed, how come the stations are so spread out? I only count 3 new ones, Metropolitan, Glendale, and 104 Street. There's no Ozone Park station or Woodhaven Junction station like there was pre 1960.

An interesting idea I saw for the RBL...

Would it even be possible to run a summer (M) service like that? I don't think we have the track capacity for it. I also think that (M) service would logically terminate at Howard Beach.

Hmm. I'm intrigued by the summer service notice...that's basically a loop (M) train if I'm reading that correctly. I wonder why...perhaps trying to keep the (S) service to Rockaway Blvd intact for the beach riders?

Another thing I noticed, how come the stations are so spread out? I only count 3 new ones, Metropolitan, Glendale, and 104 Street. There's no Ozone Park station or Woodhaven Junction station like there was pre 1960.

Personally, I would put a station at Atlantic and at Myrtle instead of Union to better serve the bus network.

A station at Liberty is difficult, not least because of how hard a transfer to the (A) would be to build.

Would it even be possible to run a summer (M) service like that? I don't think we have the track capacity for it. I also think that (M) service would logically terminate at Howard Beach.

Personally, I would put a station at Atlantic and at Myrtle instead of Union to better serve the bus network.

A station at Liberty is difficult, not least because of how hard a transfer to the (A) would be to build.

There are still existing stations at Atlantic Av (Woodhaven Junction) and 101 AV (Ozone Park), although I know at least Atlantic Av's platforms have to be almost completely rebuilt due to it being broken down by trees and the Logan Bus depot. Edited by ShadeJay