Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

@RollOver: I don't know why you're getting so upset about something. There's no need to be rude.

What...

For your information, I was never upset about anything from the get-go in my previous post, so I don't where you come from accusing me of that. I, myself, don't care at all what you or anyone else here for that matter think about me or my previous post or any of my posts in the past anyway. Think what you want. But it is true that you can't possibly run a train more than 2 minutes. I do however know I can indeed be wrong about that though, as I heard some other people stated otherwise. Yeah, that is what I indeed wrote. Big whoop.

Obviously I could have just said the (R) train can't run more frequently instead of talking about something general, but the (R) train was nowhere close to being my primary concern in my previous post since we've had billions of threads about the line being suckish and blah blah blah...the usual.

Edited by RollOver

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In short, I was actually alot more interested in talking about how many trains can be run on a line (or should I say tube), than talking about the (R) train itself, which is why I responded with a general unrelated statement to the user (who I actually thought was someone else who used to be on the forums).

You know it's 30 trains per hour like any other line in theory, dude. You been knew that from the get-go. But you can't run any more than a train every 2 minutes (30 trains per hour). I mean while a train every 2 minutes (30 trains per hour) is possible on paper, there would, without a doubt, be delays since trains are very close to each other. It also depends on how crowded the station is and how much time the train spends in the station, delaying another train immediately right behind the first train. Even when there's no flagging at all, a train every 2 minutes is prone to bunching and delays. As said in another thread, the (MTA) can't possibly control the exact timing of trains here and there.

how frequent is 14 trains per hour?

The Broadway Line from head to toe needs some TLC. The setup is so off and incomplete compared to it's B-division counterparts (8th Ave and Sixth Ave). On a fantasy note, If it was a case where the Broadway Local ended at City Hall and the 8th Ave Local Line was tied to Courtlandt St allowing (C)(E) replaced the (R) down to Bay Ridge, then the (R) wouldn't have these kinds of problems. Least the (E) is express in Queens. But there's other solutions to this of course

how frequent is 14 trains per hour?

14 doesn't provide an even headway but in theory it would be between 4-5 minutes. Most systems would give a 5 minute headway and slide 2 extra trains in between 2 of the 5 minute gaps. You could provide a 4 minute headway with gaps that widen to 5 minutes near the end of the hour as well. 

14 doesn't provide an even headway but in theory it would be between 4-5 minutes. Most systems would give a 5 minute headway and slide 2 extra trains in between 2 of the 5 minute gaps. You could provide a 4 minute headway with gaps that widen to 5 minutes near the end of the hour as well. 

Alright so what about 10? Is that like every 6 minutes? If so wouldn't the broadway line's issues resolve by routing the (N) through whitehall? Due to short distance the montegue can handle 2 very frequent services that can be one 4th ave local and one 4th ave express.

I came up with an idea while waiting for the (G) train:

Install CBTC on the (G) and run 2 car trains 5 mins. And if they can't run 2 car trains, then use 4 car trains.

A sneak peek of what's to come. The only way for this plan to be comprehended on the end of how the new services effect the existing ones, is to place it on a map.

The Upper West Side.

cyOQC2P.png

why is an additional upper west side trunk line needed? This is a really good looking map.

why is an additional upper west side trunk line needed? This is a really good looking map.

I have realized that question. I've limited the number of express stops as to get the residents of The Bronx who use the line to Midtown as quickly as possible. Between the express stations at 181st Street (Terminal of the L) and 72nd Street, the only other express station is at 116th Street. So it's still primarily served by one local service. That local will relieve the (1) of its crowding. The line would be 4-tracks from 181st Street to 59th Street. The express tracks would dip under the locals and head east along 57th Street. The L would have a station at 57th and 10th. Below that divergence, the line would be 2-tracks. Trains from Northern Boulevard would head south onto 10th Avenue and terminate at the 14th Street station. The L station at that location would be at 14th Street and Washington Place (connecting passage provided). That station would be a three-track, two platform setup to allow for half of all L trains to terminate and reverse, this way, the most crowded portions of the L can continue to see the maximum amount of service.

Anyway, current progress on The Bronx.

When it comes to the Boston Road Line which would carry Z service, the line is obviously exaggerated. Geographically, the 174 Street Station would be located under the WPR 174 Street 2/5 station.

nlHm6EB.png

MA5wymR.png

NOTE: On the second screen, that transfer with the 2, 5, P, and Z is supposed to be Westchester Square.

Edited by LTA1992

Here's how I think the subway fleet should be when the R211's arrives into service.

(A)- R160's, R179's, and R211's. By this point the (MTA) should have resolved the voltage issues in the Rockaways experienced with the R160's during their rollout.

(B)- R68/R68A's. An R160 or R211 during the PM rush.

(C)- 4-car R160's and 179's. During rush hours and some weekends, there will be 5-car R179's and R211's (if necessary) to help out on crowding.

(D)- R68's as it currently is. Some R160's on rush hours.

(E)- Stays as it is, 100% R160's. However, a few R211's will be put on this line during rush hours to help out on crowding.

(F)- R160's, R179's, and R211's. A R68 or 68A during the AM or PM rush.

(G)- 4-car R160's and 179's. A few R68's and R211's during rush hours to help out on crowding.

(J)- 4-car R160's and 179's. Some R143's* may still be operating here.

(L)- R143's*, 4-car R160's and 179's. The R179's on here because it's an incredibly busy line, and they will be equipped with CBTC.

(M)- 4-car R160's and 179's. Some R143's* on weekends and late nights.

(N)- R68's, R160's, and R179's. One R211 for the AM rush.

(Q)- R160's and R211's. A few R68's and 68A's during weekends.

(R)- R179's and R211's. A R68 or 68A during the AM rush.

(S)- The Franklin Avenue shuttle will remain with the R68's. For the Rockaway shuttle, there will be 4-car R179's.

(W)- R68/68A's, R160's, and R179's. A few R211's during rush hour to help out on crowding.

(Z)- Same as (J).

*We may see the experimental strip map currently being rolled out on the 142's with the (2) & (5) being put on the 143's. Possibilities may be one of these strip maps showing the Canarsie & Jamaica-Nassau Street lines or the Canarsie & Myrtle Avenue lines.

What do you think?

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

All R211s are 5 car sets so you're going to have to redo the Eastern Division.

It may be time to do that anyway on a number of other fronts, especially thinking ahead to situations that could very well change by the time the SAS gets to Houston and possibly wanting to have the option to connect the SAS to the Nassau Line (even if right now that isn't happening). 

It may be time to do that anyway on a number of other fronts, especially thinking ahead to situations that could very well change by the time the SAS gets to Houston and possibly wanting to have the option to connect the SAS to the Nassau Line (even if right now that isn't happening). 

I meant the assignments not the stations!

I have an interesting idea. Bilingual annoucements. The Seoul metro has this feature on it's trains. This would be on the NTT's both A & B Division. (The translations were done via https://www.translate.com)

Example 1

At Canal Street, the announcements would be done in english and chinese. Imagine hearing this on board an R142A (6).

"This is Canal Street. Transfer is available to the (J), (N), (Q), and (R) trains.

In Chinese.

这是运河街。转让是可用 (J)(N)(Q)(R) 列车。

English

"This is a Brooklyn Bridge bound (6) local train. The next and last stop is, Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall."

Chinese

这是布鲁克林大桥 (6) 当地火车。下一页和最后一站是布鲁克林大桥市政厅。

Example 2

Now imagine hearing this on an R188 (7) train.

English

"This is Flushing-Main Street."

Korean

이것은 플러싱 메인 스트리트이다.

(Of course, Flushing is also Chinese, but I'll end it there).

The purpose of the bilingual annoucements is to famarilize those with their native language. It will mainly be played around the neighrborhood they live in as the 2 examples showed (Canal Street-Chinese, Flushing-Main Street-Korean).

What do you think?

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

Bilingual announcements would be pretty useless if you were only going to get them at certain stops. Generally when they're implemented they exist on either all stations on a line or on all stations on the network.

Not always. In Paris for example, you'll only hear multiple languages on most of Line one and stations serving tourist heavy areas. In the case of the tramway, the same applies.

The same thing applies to the Tokyo Metro, TOEI Subway, and the JR Lines.

Edited by LTA1992

Lower Manhattan is coming along. I also realized that in my re-tooling of my plans, the Brooklyn branches of the First Avneue Line were lacking a service. There were 4 when there needs to be 5. SO. In order for the Nassau Street Subway to not be reduced to a shuttle, I have decided to connect it into the South 4th Street Line and Y services will serve The Myrtle-Merrick Line as the local.

LkpuqfF.png

kPWeckr.png

I know the hardest part will be the Downtown Brooklyn connection and the L.I.C. connections.

Downtown Brooklyn is complete, as is the (G) up to the connection with the Broadway-Brooklyn Subway. Next up is what I think will be the most complicated part of the map, Long Island City. Though I may just complete the Southern Division Lines first since that way, I can cover a larger area in less time.

Below is Downtown Brooklyn. The P service which serves the 5th Avenue Limited Line runs along Cadman Plaza West and Livingston Streets. Tunnel boring machines would dig the tunnel from Manhattan to Sunset Park so that no major changes in level are needed. You know what? I just noticed that I forgot Nevins Street lol.

n1T5gea.png

Next up is the Broadway-Brooklyn Subway. The line, along with the Bushwick-Pennsylvania Line will directly replace the Broadway-Brooklyn Elevated west of Broadway Junction. As much as it would hurt to replace one of the last original Brooklyn elevated lines, more capacity is needed and Broadway and Bushwick Avenue provide the most direct route for a trunk line with the most convenient and effective branches.

HPdOPqR.png

Edited by LTA1992

I don't know if that has been brought up, but how about closing Hewes and Jamaica Streets stations in order to open one at Uinon Avenue, I am confident that would make the (G) more attractive, and it would relieve the (L) and since I heard that they want to shut down the Canarsie Tunnel, it needs some relief, first, and second, it would be an easy (and permanent) inside-the-system transfer.

Edit: Looks like it's been brought up by the previous poster lol

Edit 2:

...since I heard that they want to shut down the Canarsie Tunnel...

why am I acting like they could plan and build an entire station complex in what, a year max?

Edited by FreekyFreezer

I don't know if that has been brought up, but how about closing Hewes and Jamaica Streets stations in order to open one at Uinon Avenue, I am confident that would make the (G) more attractive, and it would relieve the (L) and since I heard that they want to shut down the Canarsie Tunnel, it needs some relief, first, and second, it would be an easy (and permanent) inside-the-system transfer.

Edit: Looks like it's been brought up by the previous poster lol

Edit 2:

why am I acting like they could plan and build an entire station complex in what, a year max?

Probably a lot easier to add an OOS transfer between Hewes Street on the (J)(M)(Z) and Broadway on the (G) than build a new station.

Blue and Aqua just go so well together. I've always planned for the (E) to connect with the South 4 Street Line to serve Utica Avenue. The LACMTA gave me the ideal color choice for 1st Avenue services thanks to the Expo Line. Here's a look at the southeast portion of the map.

uhNsJDG.png

Still putting off tackling L.I.C. but it has to happen eventually as I need an idea of the direction I want the Myrtle Merrick and Jamaica Lines to head. Remember, not geographically accurate. Also, the T2 you see is the tram line that would replace the B35 bus.

Edited by LTA1992