R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I would say that’s probably a new car which is part of either 4315-4319 or 4320-4324. Also, you ended up making two duplicates of your post.

Yes I realized that. Was having issues posting for a little while. Trying to delete the redundant posts.

1 hour ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I would say that’s probably a new car which is part of either 4315-4319 or 4320-4324. Also, you ended up making two duplicates of your post.

4315-4319 is in Coney Island Yard already, so it might be 4324.

On 7/28/2024 at 12:44 AM, Kamen Rider said:

that was and kind of has still been the chatter... someone actually drew a map of Pitken yard and hung it on the door in CTL dispatcher's office so people would know where they were going...

Smh...

Well it is what it is...

Thanks for the update...

4 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I wonder if that's the single car that was moved to CIY

If 4309 was supposedly damaged, then the single car being moved to CIY was probably the replacement for it.

I can’t help but wonder if the replacement for car 4309 is a completely new car built from scratch, or if it had a different number before it was decided that it would be used as the replacement?

Edited by TrainGamingKing9928

On 8/2/2024 at 8:14 AM, randomnewyorker23 said:

Nice that they’re trying to extend the (C) to 10 cars, it never made sense to me how a line that is entirely IND has been only 8 cars. Is it past assignments from years ago or something where the (C) was only 8 cars long? Was there just not enough resources to extend the (C) until now?

Yes, that's true in regards to the question I made bold. Remember that the (C) train prior to March 1st, 1998 was the Grand Concourse Local. But because the (C) train was merged with the (K) train on December 10th, 1988, it created a situation where it ended up going to Washington Heights and Bedford Park at nearly the same time based on the time of day. I think it was that same time in 1988 that the (C) train was reduced from ten cars to eight because the (K) train also ran eight cars up until the merge.

also cutting and adding throughout the day was much more common in the past when trains were singles or married pairs. 

a ten-car rush hour train might pull into a terminal, get cut between the 4th and 5 car, next crew takes the other 6 back out on their next trip and a switchman goes and parks the other four somewhere out of the way. 

The R211A single car transferred to CIY, is 4304 v2. The original 4309 v1 had a frame damage during delivery. V2 will replace the current 4309. The 4309 v1 will be sent back to Kawasaki for repairs and will be renumbered.

3 hours ago, Q65A said:

Looks like WMATA liked what they saw when they checked out the R211T; as they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/meetings/board-pdfs/upload/3A-Fleet-of-the-Future-Design-Review.pdf

If they're smart, they will start working towards ensuring the yard maintenance shops can handle these with no issues. The artist's rendering of these cars does look nice.