R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

The R32s were assigned to 207th st and still ran on the (A) along with the (C). The same will be for the 5 car R179s that are on the (A). It makes sense because it consolidates the r179s to 2 barns instead of 3. This is nothing new, The (C) uses R46s from pitkin yard as well. 207th st barn isn't just assigned to just the (C) . It just has the majority of the  (C)'s fleet which are the 8 car R179s. Having Pitkin be 100% R211s (could get some R160s if the rumor is true) makes more sense in the long run.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The R32s were assigned to 207th st and still ran on the (A) along with the (C). The same will be for the 5 car R179s that are on the (A).

I was trying to ask earlier in this thread if this would be the case. I feel like reassigning the 5-car R179's to 207th would give more of a reason for expanding the barn up there to accommodate full-length 600-foot trains.

30 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Having Pitkin be 100% R211s (could get some R160s if the rumor is true) makes more sense in the long run.

What rumor are you referring to exactly?

1 hour ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I was trying to ask earlier in this thread if this would be the case. I feel like reassigning the 5-car R179's to 207th would give more of a reason for expanding the barn up there to accommodate full-length 600-foot trains.

What rumor are you referring to exactly?

I hope that the barn does get expanded.

There is a rumor that Jamaica may get some of the base order, while the A gets r160s from Jamaica. For now, it's just a rumor.

4065-4069 is now linked with 4166-4169 on the 7:03 AM (A) to Inwood-207th from Far Rockaway. The consist is as follows:

North 4169-4165 + 4065-4069 South

This effectively makes both Pilot 5-car sets running in service mixed with production sets.

44 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

4065-4069 is now linked with 4166-4169 on the 7:03 AM (A) to Inwood-207th from Far Rockaway. The consist is as follows:

North 4169-4165 + 4065-4069 South

This effectively makes both Pilot 5-car sets running in service mixed with production sets.

Glad to hear that 4065-4069 is back in service.

In other news, 4150-4154 and 4155-4159 appear to be back together after being separated for at least a month. I’m pretty sure I saw them going southbound at High Street yesterday.

5 hours ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

Glad to hear that 4065-4069 is back in service.

In other news, 4150-4154 and 4155-4159 appear to be back together after being separated for at least a month. I’m pretty sure I saw them going southbound at High Street yesterday.

Basically 4060-4064 is grouped with 4110-4114 and 4065-4069 is grouped with 4165-4169. 4065-4069 hasn’t been seen in service for almost 2-3 weeks because of a issue I think.

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 5:39 PM, DaPr03 said:

They get this source from Discord, 5-car 179s apparently being "assigned or going to 207th" for now is most likely just a maintenance thing instead of actual route assignment for (C) service. :lol:

Correct. The fleet allotment isn't changing. It's just the maintenance shops they're served under. I also don't know why this was mentioned here...

Edited by BenTheMiner

25 minutes ago, BenTheMiner said:

Correct. The fleet allotment isn't changing. It's just the maintenance shops they're served under. I also don't know why this was mentioned here...

Sorry one thing before this topic is closed - if the R179s on the (A)(C) are all shifted to 207 St, would it make more sense to assign R46s to the Rockaway (S) or R211s so that way only R46s (eventually R211s) are maintained at Pitkin and R179s at 207 St, moving those 30 R179 cars still left at Pitkin for the (S) to 207 St and assigned to the (A).

21 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Sorry one thing before this topic is closed - if the R179s on the (A)(C) are all shifted to 207 St, would it make more sense to assign R46s to the Rockaway (S) or R211s so that way only R46s (eventually R211s) are maintained at Pitkin and R179s at 207 St, moving those 30 R179 cars still left at Pitkin for the (S) to 207 St and assigned to the (A).

I'm pretty sure ALL R179s have been moved to 207th, including the shuttle cars. The R179s assigned on the A and S swap and there has been no sightings of the R179 being served by Pitkin Maintenance Shop.

Nice that they’re trying to extend the (C) to 10 cars, it never made sense to me how a line that is entirely IND has been only 8 cars. Is it past assignments from years ago or something where the (C) was only 8 cars long? Was there just not enough resources to extend the (C) until now?

On 8/2/2024 at 8:14 AM, randomnewyorker23 said:

Nice that they’re trying to extend the (C) to 10 cars, it never made sense to me how a line that is entirely IND has been only 8 cars. Is it past assignments from years ago or something where the (C) was only 8 cars long? Was there just not enough resources to extend the (C) until now?

The main reason is that 207 yard cannot accommodate ten car trains. I just hope that the MTA makes necessary repairs to 207 yard that will make it possible for the "C" to become 100% full length. 

Ridership is increasing and it's ridiculous that the "C" is running mixed length trains and the "G" is running five car trains.

23 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The main reason is that 207 yard cannot accommodate ten car trains. I just hope that the MTA makes necessary repairs to 207 yard that will make it possible for the "C" to become 100% full length. 

Ridership is increasing and it's ridiculous that the "C" is running mixed length trains and the "G" is running five car trains.

the yard itself can accommodate 10 car trains

the BARN cannot

2 different things

I think we just need to make a pinned post with these explanations so they can just be refered back to it.

For everyone who might have missed the last 15 times I’ve explained this:

the inspection tracks, which are the east side of the 207th street shop structure, are not long enough to hold an entire 10 car train at once.

this only precludes servicing an entire train at the same time. This is about logistics, and effective use of space. 

the 8 car R179s exist because they do fit in their entirety and that maximizes the amount of space being used at one time.

I’m hearing R211As 4060-4319 are all now shared between Pitkin & 207. So that R211As would start running on the (C) as well if so is this true or not? Also I’ve been hearing the R211As also been begging various routine maintenance at CIY making and having door problems 

28 minutes ago, poopybutt123 said:

I’m hearing R211As 4060-4319 are all now shared between Pitkin & 207. So that R211As would start running on the (C) as well if so is this true or not? Also I’ve been hearing the R211As also been begging various routine maintenance at CIY making and having door problems 

Point the first:

Fleets are not shared. A car has one shop it’s based out of, that’s it. you can park a train at another yard but that doesn’t mean it’s shared with that yard. My last train of the day today was laid up at Jamaica yard… but I work on the M and our fleet is all ENY based. Just because we park our trains in Jamaica doesn’t mean we’re sharing them with Jamaica. 

Point the second; all regular maintenance for the 211 fleet is carried out at Pitkin except for wheel work as PIT doesn’t have a truing machine. Also PIT doesn’t have a working car wash but that’s nether here nor there…

Unless a car is specifically assigned to the inspection barn there, under normal circumstances a car only goes to CIY for work when its SMS cycle is up.

there is a distinct difference between the inspection shops, which handle general repairs and the overhaul shops, which can strip down a train to its framework and rebuild it if need be. Coney Island’s inspection barn in the building to the west of the Overhaul shop, while 207 combines both in one large building.

the IRT’s overhaul complex was in Lennox Yard before it was downsized.

Point the 3rd

as for having door problems: that’s called “it’s a day ending in Y”. that is not specific nor special. 

I would further like to say something to everyone:

if you’re not hearing these things from a person who is a ether a: a road qualified B division RTO employee OR B: a car Equipment employee working out of PIT or along the A and C…

question it.

Because odds are people are getting these details from misunderstandings.

ether that or its the transit fandom equivalent of “my uncle who works at Nintendo says…” BSing…

28 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

I would further like to say something to everyone:

if you’re not hearing these things from a person who is a ether a: a road qualified B division RTO employee OR B: a car Equipment employee working out of PIT or along the A and C…

question it.

Because odds are people are getting these details from misunderstandings.

ether that or its the transit fandom equivalent of “my uncle who works at Nintendo says…” BSing…

This information came from discord user’s who have “connections” with other people who work at Pitkin