R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

23 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think around 15-17 R211A trains should be in rotating service on the (A) at any given time while the base order cars first go to Jamaica for CBTC testing before starting revenue service wherever they end up (either the (A) or one of the Jamaica Yard routes) and allow for a decent spare factor.

I don’t think they would need that many trains for in-service CBTC testing on QBL. I only see around 6-8 sets of R211A’s being rotated between Pitkin and Jamaica, and the same number of R160’s would also be rotated to keep the number of trains on the (A) line the same.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I don’t think they would need that many trains for in-service CBTC testing on QBL. I only see around 6-8 sets of R211A’s being rotated between Pitkin and Jamaica, and the same number of R160’s would also be rotated to keep the number of trains on the (A) line the same.

Sorry that’s what I was referring to. That way there will be a slight lag on acceptance of R211As for the (A) line and trains first go to Jamaica for CBTC testing (and without the need for R160 movements to Pitkin)

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m slightly confused, are sets arriving CBTC-equipped or do they need to be done in house? I see it says that only a certain number of sets are receiving full CBTC installation.

All the R211s are coming in with cbtc equipped.

52 minutes ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

4290-4299 just entered service on the (A). I saw it going in the southbound direction at Chambers Street sometime between 8:55 and 9:00am.

This is the 24th R211A in revenue service and the last 42xx set to enter service.

2 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

ok …also i believe there was another delivery last night too

Might be 4310-14

48 minutes ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

Has car 4309 been delivered yet?

Yes. last week. 1st car delivered to 207th

34 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

4145-49 headed back to the PIT to clear a spot for 4300-04 that arrived at CIY.

Up to 4350 are processing for shipping to 207th directly.

R211A 4145-4149 was seen heading southbound on Culver after 4300-4304, though

4 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

Base order wrapping up

And yet the MTA is still overusing Pitkin's r46s. I thought that by now (based on the number of r211As that are in service) we would only be seeing r46s on the "A" train during rush hours only, but I'm still seeing a bunch of r46s running on the "A" train during off peak, even on Sundays.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

And yet the MTA is still overusing Pitkin's r46s. I thought that by now (based on the number of r211As that are in service) we would only be seeing r46s on the "A" train during rush hours only, but I'm still seeing a bunch of r46s running on the "A" train during off peak, even on Sundays.

Unless you're trying to say they should be reducing use of the R46s to minimize wear under the current circumstances of being forced to cannibalize cars for maintenance purposes, where do you pull that "overusing" claim from?

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I heard there's still [allegedly] ~32 sets of R46s in PIT so my guess is they're trying to minimize miles for the 211s until the order is complete. Also the R46 swap/relay/turnaround between A/C service is alot easier than R211s.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Unless you're trying to say they should be reducing use of the R46s to minimize wear under the current circumstances of being forced to cannibalize cars for maintenance purposes, where do you pull that "overusing" claim from?

That's what I meant. Pitkin's 46s are in terrible shape and yes they should run less often to minimize wear. At least the "N" "Q" trains have been borrowing r68's from the B during the weekends to give some CI r46s a break.

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

That's what I meant. Pitkin's 46s are in terrible shape and yes they should run less often to minimize wear. At least the "N" "Q" trains have been borrowing r68's from the B during the weekends to give some CI r46s a break.

For me, I still see the N/Q using majorly 46s more than 68/As on weekends..