R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

12 hours ago, subway guy said:

It's more complex. Tracks and switches are the most vulnerable infrastructure and see the most wear and tear on a railroad or transit property. That said, both, in this instance, may have been beyond any field repair. This area may see little traffic outside of new car deliveries, but they still face exposure to the elements, and I would imagine rust build-up. Another thing to consider is reconfiguring the area, which may have also required removal.

I'm not saying it wasn't needed but why do it in the middle of a huge delivery order when we hadn't seen any new cars in years?  It's the timing and lack of planning.  There was even the pause on deliveries back last year when the gear box issues were being resolved.  Why wasn't it done then?

I worked in IT on financial systems and the networking/server/operations people always scheduled outages right at quarter end and I always put a stop to that.  I had enough backing from the Finance people, and the Finance people basically run the company, that it would not happen if I said no.  They eventually learned to just talk to my group before anything got scheduled.

Why didn't the car delivery people say no?  Don't do it now.  It is possible though that they negotiated a replacement time and that it was not thought to impact the delivery in a significant way.  We'll see how long it takes.

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, zacster said:

I'm not saying it wasn't needed but why do it in the middle of a huge delivery order when we hadn't seen any new cars in years?  It's the timing and lack of planning.  There was even the pause on deliveries back last year when the gear box issues were being resolved.  Why wasn't it done then?

I worked in IT on financial systems and the networking/server/operations people always scheduled outages right at quarter end and I always put a stop to that.  I had enough backing from the Finance people, and the Finance people basically run the company, that it would not happen if I said no.  They eventually learned to just talk to my group before anything got scheduled.

Why didn't the car delivery people say no?  Don't do it now.  It is possible though that they negotiated a replacement time and that it was not thought to impact the delivery in a significant way.  We'll see how long it takes.

Whenever you're doing maintenance or replacement of this magnitude the schedule can be fluid. Lack of manpower or resources, weather, emergencies, and availability of the equipment being replaced. Not to mention the vendors that provide rail and some of these switches are backlogged in some cases. In particular, here this may have been scheduled months ago, but pushed back because of deliveries but couldn't be put off any further. The gear box is an equipment issue that the manufacturer needed to fix at their plant and send representatives to MTA to fix (That's how it works sometimes). There's a difference between having an infrastructure issue with new rail cars, as opposed to your track and switches. This is why having flexibility and a contingency plan is pivotal.

16 hours ago, subway guy said:

Whenever you're doing maintenance or replacement of this magnitude the schedule can be fluid. Lack of manpower or resources, weather, emergencies, and availability of the equipment being replaced. Not to mention the vendors that provide rail and some of these switches are backlogged in some cases. In particular, here this may have been scheduled months ago, but pushed back because of deliveries but couldn't be put off any further. The gear box is an equipment issue that the manufacturer needed to fix at their plant and send representatives to MTA to fix (That's how it works sometimes). There's a difference between having an infrastructure issue with new rail cars, as opposed to your track and switches. This is why having flexibility and a contingency plan is pivotal.

27 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Nah, in the old days before SBK, in previous deliveries, it was usually 2 cars at a time if not daily during the week.

7 hours ago, djtoro7 said:

What's the latest on the R211T sets? Haven't seen the sets in service since the 11th. Have the door issues been addressed?

4040-44/4055-59 were used as school cars today on the (A). That’s all I got

Also, 4075-79 got the platform updates

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

... do we really need to track these trains at this level at this point?

new cars arrive, new cars enter service, sure...

but the nitty gritty stuff, like who is now coupled to who... that's just sorta taking up space. 

Agreed ! 

Current Platform Information screens on the current sets:
• 4170-4174
• 4099-4095
• 4140-4144
• 4270-4274
• 4275-4279
• 4210-4214
• 4105-4109
• 4080-4084
• 4085-4089 
• 4075-4079
• 4060-4064
• 4065-4069
• 4145-4149 
• 4040-4044 
• 4045-4049
• 4050-4054
• 4055-4059
• 4280-4284
• 4285-4289
• 4070-4074
Newly added:
• 4165-4169
• 4230-4234
• 4235-4239
*There may be more but not said.*

1 hour ago, Median said:

Current Platform Information screens on the current sets:
• 4170-4174
• 4099-4095
• 4140-4144
• 4270-4274
• 4275-4279
• 4210-4214
• 4105-4109
• 4080-4084
• 4085-4089 
• 4075-4079
• 4060-4064
• 4065-4069
• 4145-4149 
• 4040-4044 
• 4045-4049
• 4050-4054
• 4055-4059
• 4280-4284
• 4285-4289
• 4070-4074
Newly added:
• 4165-4169
• 4230-4234
• 4235-4239
*There may be more but not said.*

I had 4185-4189 today heading uptown with the PIS going, worked alright until we got further uptown. That's when it started to light up for the wrong exit side at just about every other station. Obviously a work in progress but they're getting there. Enjoyed the other features though, very helpful and modern !

24 minutes ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

With 4230-4239 back at Pitkin and in service on the (A), I’m now starting to wonder how much truth there is behind the rumor of the MTA sending some R211’s to Jamaica for in-service CBTC testing.

Are they still qualifying train crews from Queens on them like RTOMan said they were back in June?

There’s been more than 1 actual MTA employee say that it’s actually happening so I would assume there’s a lot of truth to it 😂😂

I think around 15-17 R211A trains should be in rotating service on the (A) at any given time while the base order cars first go to Jamaica for CBTC testing before starting revenue service wherever they end up (either the (A) or one of the Jamaica Yard routes) and allow for a decent spare factor.