R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

I think some ppl just need to relax & let the (MTA) and Kawasaki do their jobs.

They made the right choice by not rushing the cars into service. That way they had plenty of time to identify & address the most serious issues. Anything else at this point would be minor issues that can easily be fixed.

I'm sure a lot of ppl are probably still on edge after the R179 order, but they seem to be handling the R211 order a lot better. So I'm sure once it's all over, everything will be fine.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If things were so bad with the pilot R211, they would not be in passenger service like it is right now. The MTA learned from the R179 & so far, things are working as designed.  Let’s just enjoy the beginning of this brand new era we are entering into. It’s gonna be a trip!

9 hours ago, Princelex said:

If things were so bad with the pilot R211, they would not be in passenger service like it is right now. The MTA learned from the R179 & so far, things are working as designed.  Let’s just enjoy the beginning of this brand new era we are entering into. It’s gonna be a trip!

"working as designed"

Propulsion and brake issues with the pilot R211 that caused its 30 day test to be completely reset is "designed"? Along with the previous LED door lights issue that caused the train to be taken OOS at Euclid Ave? I severely doubt that.

I was watching the R211 videos from DJ Hammers and the likes, and it may just be the way the video picks things up but to me, the Orange for (B)(D)(F)(M) comes across as somewhat pink/purple. I hope that's just the video, the same way the flashing issue was just how cameras pick things up.

I don't think I've seen any R211 signed up as a (G) yet, and I worry the contrast with the bright green and white might not be enough on an LED display. Same goes for (L) to a lesser extent. Again, prolly won't be an issue but I feel like there's a way to screw it up.  

10 hours ago, Princelex said:

Exactly. I agree

On one hand, some people are very eager to see more r211's in service, which is understandable. The r46's are in really bad shape, constantly breaking down, causing a lot of delays in service.

On the other hand, some people still can't accept the fact that the r32's are retired and are looking for whatever excuse to trash the r211's the same way they are trashing the r179's, which is slowly becoming one of the most reliable fleets and I am very confident that the r211's will also become a very reliable fleet.

Out with the old. In with the new.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

1 hour ago, foggymetro said:

"working as designed"

Propulsion and brake issues with the pilot R211 that caused its 30 day test to be completely reset is "designed"? Along with the previous LED door lights issue that caused the train to be taken OOS at Euclid Ave? I severely doubt that.

It’s in the middle of testing. You want these things to happen now and not after you got a whole lot of them already in so yes, what i said still stands, “working as designed”. 🤪

2 hours ago, foggymetro said:

"working as designed"

Those are all typical early teething issues

8 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I was watching the R211 videos from DJ Hammers and the likes, and it may just be the way the video picks things up but to me, the Orange for (B)(D)(F)(M) comes across as somewhat pink/purple. I hope that's just the video, the same way the flashing issue was just how cameras pick things up.

I did notice it was being rather silly, but it is definitely the camera.

8 hours ago, foggymetro said:

Of course it is not designed, but the point of the 30-day test is to find problems like this and address them before the production cars enter service.

39 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Put a new bulb and be done with it

LMFAOO!

Nah, but seriously the system just needed a software reset and putting it OOS was the right thing to do. Just a few hours and "alahkazamm" back in service the next day.

I don't know what it is about the (A) that Fs up at least one or two doors on a few of every rolling stock that run on it but it do be happenin' and I've seen it from time to time LMFAO. Mostly the SMEEs. It's hilarious to me when seeing people try to leave through the door when it doesn't open at all. XD

Anyways, small teething issue..... resolved..... moving on..... more sets of coming rapidly anyways. Let's leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Metro CSW said:

LMFAOO!

Nah, but seriously the system just needed a software reset and putting it OOS was the right thing to do. Just a few hours and "alahkazamm" back in service the next day.

I don't know what it is about the (A) that Fs up at least one or two doors on a few of every rolling stock that run on it but it do be happenin' and I've seen it from time to time LMFAO. Mostly the SMEEs. It's hilarious to me when seeing people try to leave through the door when it doesn't open at all. XD

Anyways, small teething issue..... resolved..... moving on..... more sets of coming rapidly anyways. Let's leave it at that.

💯💯💯

18 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I don't think I've seen any R211 signed up as a (G) yet, and I worry the contrast with the bright green and white might not be enough on an LED display. Same goes for (L) to a lesser extent. Again, prolly won't be an issue but I feel like there's a way to screw it up.  

There is an image of an R211 signed up as a (G)

33 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Any images are test trains on the R211T. That doesn’t mean that that particular train is going on that line. 

I agree. I've seen a lot of those lately. I don't usually think it's going to run on the (Insert line here that it usually wouldn't run on). That is just tests when the pilot trains are at pitkin, and usually have these tests around 10:00 in the morning, so, yeah. I'm still waiting for the 4085-89 delivery. How long can it take? I am not a foamer, but it's kinda weird for me to see a train not delivered around the first 5 car set for that train is already delivered.

9 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

I agree. I've seen a lot of those lately. I don't usually think it's going to run on the (Insert line here that it usually wouldn't run on). That is just tests when the pilot trains are at pitkin, and usually have these tests around 10:00 in the morning, so, yeah. I'm still waiting for the 4085-89 delivery. How long can it take? I am not a foamer, but it's kinda weird for me to see a train not delivered around the first 5 car set for that train is already delivered.

The top guys here would know. Me? I’m just wait until the production trains are in service “hopefully” when the TM has their bus exhibit on 6/11/23 from 10a-4p (but that’s another story saved for later on) 

Edited by FLX9304

3 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

The top guys here would know. Me? I’m just wait until the production trains are in service “hopefully” when the TM has their bus exhibit on 6/11/23 from 10a-4p (but that’s another story saved for later on) 

Yeah. I get what you mean though. I just have one question. Some people say that 4055-59 already got delivered to NYCTA property. Is this true or are they still at Nebraska?

16 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Yeah. I get what you mean though. I just have one question. Some people say that 4055-59 already got delivered to NYCTA property. Is this true or are they still at Nebraska?

Probably is but we won’t know until we see it at CIYD

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Any images are test trains on the R211T. That doesn’t mean that that particular train is going on that line. 

I know that, I’m just saying that there is an image that was signed up as a R211 (G), the color doesn’t look off on the display, it’s still the same light green (G) 

18 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

Bad maintenance perhaps? Very common to see R46s on the (A) with some doors not opening at stations.

Hopefully, the test is going well as of now.

6 minutes ago, AZthefoamer said:

Bad maintenance perhaps? Very common to see R46s on the (A) with some doors not opening at stations.

Hopefully, the test is going well as of now.

That's why the pilot train needs to complete its revenue testing so the production trains can also be delivered and in service. Now this is just a warning to see bc we need this revenue test completed and the production cars to be in service FAST! Same thing happening to the SIR. Recently, 2 SIR cars were taken out of service, being 399 and 466. now instead of 64 cars, I believe 59 remain, though. We need this base order delivered FAST!

2 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

That's why the pilot train needs to complete its revenue testing so the production trains can also be delivered and in service. Now this is just a warning to see bc we need this revenue test completed and the production cars to be in service FAST! Same thing happening to the SIR. Recently, 2 SIR cars were taken out of service, being 399 and 466. now instead of 64 cars, I believe 59 remain, though. We need this base order delivered FAST!

I should say 425 and 426, sorry

It is surprising enough that the R44s are still around and maintenance costs are likely high. People are not concerned that it will be several months before they enter service but I really think the MTA should try and get them in service as quickly as they can.

The same for the R46s. They might be alright on the (N)(R)(W) but are terrible on the (A)(C).

2 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

It is surprising enough that the R44s are still around and maintenance costs are likely high. People are not concerned that it will be several months before they enter service but I really think the MTA should try and get them in service as quickly as they can.

The same for the R46s. They might be alright on the (N)(R)(W) but are terrible on the (A)(C).

You mean (N)(Q)(W). The (R) is of R160s of JaY