R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ale188 said:

It's official: R211S cars 100-104 have entered service on the (SIR)

Catch them while you can!

The ride is going mostly smooth so far. It should be out here for the PM Rush. Train developed a few flat spots after going BIE on the second trip southbound. 

Im not sure what's going on with these kids. They skip school for another R211 train, and it looked like someone was about to try and start a fight around the last trip of the night. Someone pulled out a deodorant tryna roast one of these fanners, which I get we have some of these people don't know what soap is, but i was not expecting anything like that to happen. And it was clear he was doing it for attention because he did that in front of a whole crowd of foamers. These fanners keep on acting worse and worse and it doesn't look good with this future generation.

13 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Im not sure what's going on with these kids. They skip school for another R211 train, and it looked like someone was about to try and start a fight around the last trip of the night. Someone pulled out a deodorant tryna roast one of these fanners, which I get we have some of these people don't know what soap is, but i was not expecting anything like that to happen. And it was clear he was doing it for attention because he did that in front of a whole crowd of foamers. These fanners keep on acting worse and worse and it doesn't look good with this future generation.

Foamers will be foamers. I said this way way before the (NYCT) announced that the SI R211S cars when they start running, everybody was gonna flock to them. And you get to see the very same peeps on one of the cars when they do. And this is what you saw on its first day of service. Imagine when the R268s hit Broadway. That is gonna be the worst time to ride them. So beware and be warned early and expect the unexpected. 

the R211S cars sound the same as the R211A & R211T cars except it’s components are built differently. 

Edited by FLX9304

From what I've seen on the R211S on video, each stop does announce transfers to buses available at each stop. The New York City Subway, R211A/T only announces the SBS routes and buses that goes to or from the LaGuardia/JFK Airport. 

Edited by Calvin

12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

From what I've seen on the R211S on video, each stop does annouce transfers to buses available at each stop. The New York City Subway, R211A/T only announces the SBS routes and buses that goes to or from the LaGuardia/JFK Airport. 

I noticed the same thing. Also, the R211S doesn't have the updated signage yet

If 4470-4479 were recently completed at Yonkers, the logical assumption is that Yonkers would continue to the end of the base order (4499) and possibly start the the option cars while delivery of the lower base series 4400s is still underway. No doubt the acceleration of 8th Avenue CBTC (and to get CBTC cars on the (D) sooner from the option order) seems to be the motivation.

On 10/8/2024 at 12:05 PM, Ale188 said:

It's official: R211S cars 100-104 have entered service on the (SIR)

Catch them while you can!

I was just on the island last Sunday but this is great. This is big news for Staten Island since nothing new has hit the rails for SIR since 1973.

There's mixed messages regarding the second R211S trainset, some saying it will debut next week as early as Monday and others claiming not until 100-104 completes its 30-day test. All I can say is be on the lookout on Monday. (It seems more logical it would wait until the pilot completes the 30-day test, but this is just info I'm passing on from others)

So far the R-211S pilot (100-104) seems to be running in service smoothly. It was taken OOS once on the second day however resumed service on the next run. Lots of intrigued responses from passengers and many pulling out their phones to take a picture, in awe, that they're actually seeing a new in Staten. Yet I've overheard a few complaints over the lack of seating, one mentioning "this is supposed to be an improvement? Less seating?"

The past few days it has run on the exact same schedule throughout the day usually making the 5:11 <SI> express to Tottenville. 

Edited by 4P3607

44 minutes ago, 4P3607 said:

There's mixed messages regarding the second R211S trainset, some saying it will debut next week as early as Monday and others claiming not until 100-104 completes its 30-day test. All I can say is be on the lookout on Monday. (It seems more logical it would wait until the pilot completes the 30-day test, but this is just info I'm passing on from others)

So far the R-211S pilot (100-104) seems to be running in service smoothly. It was taken OOS once on the second day however resumed service on the next run. Lots of intrigued responses from passengers and many pulling out their phones to take a picture, in awe, that they're actually seeing a new in Staten. Yet I've overheard a few complaints over the lack of seating, one mentioning "this is supposed to be an improvement? Less seating?"

The past few days it has run on the exact same schedule throughout the day usually making the 5:11 <SI> express to Tottenville. 

So they are doing a 30-day then?

2 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

How many R211S have been built so far?

all of them, they are just waiting to be delivered. a small group of R44s will stay for about 2 years as reserve fleet along witht the 75 R211s.

7 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

all of them, they are just waiting to be delivered. a small group of R44s will stay for about 2 years as reserve fleet along witht the 75 R211s.

So if R211S passes the 30 day test by mid November, they could sideline the entire R44 fleet by February/March?

On 11/16/2015 at 4:39 AM, East New York said:

As 2015 comes to a close, it is now time to begin the official discussion on the R211. The reason this thread was not merged with previous R211 discussions, is because everything you thought you knew about this program, just isn't so anymore. As I said back in 2010 and 2011, I would pin a thread for this train ONLY when the MTA officially begins the program. Along with the information I received from the MTA, Shane (CaitSith) provided me with the final piece with the actual black and white. Funding has now been confirmed ladies and gentleman. That means the program is officially a go in 2016.

For starters, all this new information indicates that Staten Island will get them first! This procurement is expected to commence in the not too distant future after the R179's have arrived. And to a further extent, the ONLY funding that I have been informed of is for Staten Island. So it looks as if B-Division will not get any of the cars other than a pilot until the entire SIR order arrives. 

These cars will be the latest technology and will build upon all the lessons learned throughout the R143, R160, and R179 programs. At this time I do not know exactly what this technology will be and that is why MTA is investing in the R&D of the train throughout 2016.

In preparation for the new cars, and in light of the R179 debacle, MTA has decided to invest significantly into new SIR cars first. From the open-gangway prototype, to the new R211, we can see that the next wave of the most technologically advanced trains we have seen to date will all in fact start off in Staten Island. 

Now remember anything beyond funding in 2016 is subject to R179 progress because MTA wants to build on the technology of that train. Also remember that with the MTA, and the fact that we only have 2 qualified train manufactures anything is subject to change. Including the R211 designation.

Funding for the Mainline cars will begin in 2016 as well. There is a gap in 2017, and a resume in 2018 as the cars will be near identical to the ones for SIR with the exceptions of the FRA standards that will need to be implemented.

A1080B90-169B-423B-B232-3605EB320FBC.jpeg

Feels weird seeing this post again after riding the R211A/T