R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

It would be easier on maintenance if they kept the (G)rolling stock the same as the rest of Jamaica's Fleet

Ridership is growing. It would be awesome if both the "C" and "G" become 100% full length trains with ten car trains.

However, if there are not enough ten car trains to make both lines 100% full length, but there is a surplus of eight car trains, then the "G" should get the eight car trains. In terms of ridership, the "C" needs the ten car trains more than the "G". I just hope the issues in 207 gets fixed to accommodate longer trains. Keeping the " C" mixed length doesn't do justice to the "C", especially during the weekends when the "B" is not running.

Let's cross our fingers that the Republicans don't win the elections because if they do, they will scrap Congestion pricing even if Congestion pricing is already in effect.

6 hours ago, Median said:

ENY should get 10 cars and they should extend the Platforms on the J/L/M/Z 

as I have said on multiple occasions, the platforms are not the only issue. Signal blocks, yard tracks, shop tracks, Marcy Middle... all would need to be changed

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

as I have said on multiple occasions, the platforms are not the only issue. Signal blocks, yard tracks, shop tracks, Marcy Middle... all would need to be changed

Hear me out, perhaps geofencing would fix this issue somewhat. The (M) can borrow 10 car sets from Jamaica with “geofencing” technology where if it can’t sense a platform, the doors will not open. So you can get an extra 2 cars of capacity without having to redesign the entire line.

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

That an entire Capital Budget in of itself lol. I might look into it myself to see if its worth the extra capacity on the Eastern Division 

10 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

He is new here along with one or 2 others, unless they used to be someone else and changed their "name".  Because of this we are seeing a rehash of old ideas, which they think are original never suggested before concepts!

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Hear me out, perhaps geofencing would fix this issue somewhat. The (M) can borrow 10 car sets from Jamaica with “geofencing” technology where if it can’t sense a platform, the doors will not open. So you can get an extra 2 cars of capacity without having to redesign the entire line.

Someone is going to pull that cord because they werent paying attention, and now we're back to square one. Also you still would have to as a 10 car (J) would block the ramp for the (M) at Myrtle

2 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

Someone is going to pull that cord because they werent paying attention, and now we're back to square one. Also you still would have to as a 10 car (J) would block the ramp for the (M) at Myrtle

Was literally typing out the same on BIEs.

And along with fowling the switch, the rear two cars would intrude on the pervious signal block, causing it to be occupied longer and actually delaying service.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The (M) can borrow 10 car sets from Jamaica with “geofencing” technology where if it can’t sense a platform, the doors will not open.

But what would happen to the passengers in the cars where the doors wouldn't open? Would there be announcements at certain stations to move to a car where the doors would open?

36 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

And pulling the cord for non-emergency purposes is illegal. There’s a reason it’s not a big issue on the railroads.

1 minute ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

But what would happen to the passengers in the cars where the doors wouldn't open? Would there be announcements at certain stations to move to a car where the doors would open?

yes you would do it the same way LIRR does it.

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And pulling the cord for non-emergency purposes is illegal. There’s a reason it’s not a big issue on the railroads.

yes you would do it the same way LIRR does it.

its illegal, but everyone does it, so it wouldnt be anywhere near worth it

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There is no way to expand Metropolitan Ave. Terminal for longer trains unless.........................there is a long term closure of the terminal with a shuttle from B'way Myrtle to Wycoff and another one across the platform from Wycoff to Fresh Pond.   In order to expand Metropolitan Ave. Terminal, the TD office and crew room/lockers as well as the diamond crossover would all have to be ripped out with replacements moved back a ways.  This is all fantasy as it would cost a lot of $$$$$ and there are other more worthy projects.  And should they do this, all stations on the M and J would have to be expanded.  Signals and track circuits would have to be moved as well.  

MONEY DOESN"T GROW ON TREES!

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

People don't listen.  They "know" where they're going and tune all announcements out.  Plus, many passengers do not understand English.  We can't make announcements in 5 or 6 different languages!  

And walking thru subway cars is not allowed, even if the train is moving or not, unless there is an emergency of course.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

2 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

There is no way to expand Metropolitan Ave. Terminal for longer trains unless.........................there is a long term closure of the terminal with a shuttle from B'way Myrtle to Wycoff and another one across the platform from Wycoff to Fresh Pond.   In order to expand Metropolitan Ave. Terminal, the TD office and crew room/lockers as well as the diamond crossover would all have to be ripped out with replacements moved back a ways.  This is all fantasy as it would cost a lot of $$$$$ and there are other more worthy projects.  And should they do this, all stations on the M and J would have to be expanded.  Signals and track circuits would have to be moved as well.  

Certain stations would also have issues being expanded due to how the EL was designed. So even if you were to attempt to expand, say Myrtle Av-Broadway, you couldn't because there's not enough clearance for an extension due to the EL structure. Basically, the 2 express stations would need reconstruction almost entirely which includes the EL itself. That's a lot of time and money which would strand thousands of riders from Myrtle Av-Broadway and east from the Brooklyn-Broadway/Jamaica Av and Myrtle Av EL for years, not even months.

As much as I would love to see Eastern Division see major upgrades, it unfortunately isn't happening.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

People don't listen.  They "know" where they're going and tune all announcements out.  Plus, many passengers do not understand English.  We can't make announcements in 5 or 6 different languages!  

And walking thru subway cars is not allowed, even if the train is moving or not, unless there is an emergency of course.

You also can't do that on MNR/LIRR, yet here we are :lol:

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I'm surprised that this is being discussed in this forum. There isn't enough ten car trains to make both the "C" and "G" 100% full length and I am not counting on the r46s.

I just hope the MTA sticks with the original plan for option 1 and 2, which is to purchase mostly 10 car r211 trains. There is already a surplus of 8 car trains.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There isn't enough ten car trains to make both the "C" and "G" 100% full length and I am not counting on the r46s

If i have to explain why the C is not 100% 10 car trains again, I'm gonna scream...