R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

As I've mentioned several times, the D getting New Techs is more to allow reroutes over the Culver Line than to worry about 8th avenue. 

Its like you are talking to a wall with some folk..

They will just go with "what they feel regardless of the facts"...

I'm always surprised by how much the blinders are on.  The D will get NTTs, not because of reroutes, not because of CBTC on 8th Ave, but because the cars they use now will be the oldest in the system.  And likely because CBTC will touch 6th Ave much more than it'll touch Broadway the final years of the R68s will be on Broadway.  Whether it is the R160 or the R211 I have no idea, but eventually the R211s will displace all but the R68s.  It's just the numbers. 

As for Concourse not being able to handle them, I guess they'll have to upgrade the shop.  What other choice do they have?  The plans must include maintenance, training, testing, etc.. I'd be skewered at my job if plans weren't in place for that.  And for CBTC to be turned on, the plans must have called for the cars to be in place long before. 

R211As 4295-4299 was transferred to Coney Island Yard overnight in preparation for 4300-4304 to be delivered. As of 11:30 A.M. 4300-4304 is currently at the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal and is set to be transferred to Coney Island Yard overnight 

Posted (edited)

With the R211 order now reaching to the 4300 mark, the (A) is almost close of its fleet as mainly tech trains. The R46 amount will be smaller by monthly change.

* Current on the (A) line making stops: 15 R211 trains + 8 R179 trains + 17 R46 trains 

Also, the R68/A tripper is gone by tomorrow, even though it does layup at 207 St Yard to deadhead to Concourse Yard as of recent. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, zacster said:

I'm always surprised by how much the blinders are on.  The D will get NTTs, not because of reroutes, not because of CBTC on 8th Ave, but because the cars they use now will be the oldest in the system.  And likely because CBTC will touch 6th Ave much more than it'll touch Broadway the final years of the R68s will be on Broadway.  Whether it is the R160 or the R211 I have no idea, but eventually the R211s will displace all but the R68s.  It's just the numbers. 

As for Concourse not being able to handle them, I guess they'll have to upgrade the shop.  What other choice do they have?  The plans must include maintenance, training, testing, etc.. I'd be skewered at my job if plans weren't in place for that.  And for CBTC to be turned on, the plans must have called for the cars to be in place long before. 

You aren't saying anything folks who work down here already are aware of...

As for the other folks who just dont wanna hear it..

They'll be alright...

12 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I never said Congestion pricing was cancelled, only thing I'm saying is that they're losing out. Though, I wouldn't be surprised either when congestion pricing is back on the table after or even before elections. Hochul has dug her grave regardless of whatever she does, it's only a matter of time for when Congestion Pricing does become effective and how delayed everything becomes including the R211's second Option Order.

Unfortunately, she didn't have much of a choice. If congestion pricing started on time, the Democrats will lose the elections, the Republicans will take over and they will permanently put Congestion pricing into halt which will be worse for the MTA.

Let's remember that Republicans are against mass transit projects and they want to force everyone to drive a car, so that car companies can become richer. Not everyone is capable of driving a car and mass transit is needed in the whole US.

As for the 2nd option order of r211s, it has to happen. The MTA just need to look for funding alternatives besides congestion pricing.

32 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Unfortunately, she didn't have much of a choice. If congestion pricing started on time, the Democrats will lose the elections, the Republicans will take over and they will permanently put Congestion pricing into halt which will be worse for the MTA.

Let's remember that Republicans are against mass transit projects and they want to force everyone to drive a car, so that car companies can become richer. Not everyone is capable of driving a car and mass transit is needed in the whole US.

As for the 2nd option order of r211s, it has to happen. The MTA just need to look for funding alternatives besides congestion pricing.

If they don't get some federal funding, Then Option II is dead. I doubt the state would pay for it.

Also Even with this pause on congestion pricing, The Democrats still have a strong chance of losing. Pausing Congestion pricing was basically a nothing burger. (MTA) was not prepared for it but this won't help the dems until something is done about the crime and the migrants which 75% of NYC are pissed about.

51 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

If they don't get some federal funding, Then Option II is dead. I doubt the state would pay for it.

Also Even with this pause on congestion pricing, The Democrats still have a strong chance of losing. Pausing Congestion pricing was basically a nothing burger. (MTA) was not prepared for it but this won't help the dems until something is done about the crime and the migrants which 75% of NYC are pissed about.

The last two posters seem to be the only ones who understand what is going on in the real world. Some of us older folks thought that it would be obvious to people who read a newspaper. It’s apparent that many rail fans don’t, IMO. The congestion plan is a tax, plain and simple. No politicians from either party would endorse a tax increase, especially at election time. I reside in Suffolk County now and the majority of the people I’ve spoken to are dead set against this plan or any other tax increase. The thinking is “ what’s in it for me ? “. Looks like some supporters are trying to force people into using the LIRR or MNRR to benefit the supporters ideas and put money into their pet projects. Think about this logically for a minute. Option 1, 2, 3, M9A rail cars , 2nd Avenue subway ? Exactly whom does this benefit ? Many of the opponents of the plan don’t use mass transit and have no interest in using it no matter what. Welcome to the real world. My thoughts. You’re welcome to disagree with me. No hard feelings. Carry on.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The last two posters seem to be the only ones who understand what is going on in the real world. Some of us older folks thought that it would be obvious to people who read a newspaper. It’s apparent that many rail fans don’t, IMO. The congestion plan is a tax, plain and simple. No politicians from either party would endorse a tax increase, especially at election time. I reside in Suffolk County now and the majority of the people I’ve spoken to are dead set against this plan or any other tax increase. The thinking is “ what’s in it for me ? “. Looks like some supporters are trying to force people into using the LIRR or MNRR to benefit the supporters ideas and put money into their pet projects. Think about this logically for a minute. Option 1, 2, 3, M9A rail cars , 2nd Avenue subway ? Exactly whom does this benefit ? Many of the opponents of the plan don’t use mass transit and have no interest in using it no matter what. Welcome to the real world. My thoughts. You’re welcome to disagree with me. No hard feelings. Carry on.

The problem is that these opponents want to force everybody to drive a car.

People have to be very dumb to believe that NYC and other US cities and towns can survive without mass transit.

Driving is not for everyone.

IMO the US needs a third party that is strong and 100% supports the working class.

Going to back to the r211s, there are media sources saying that the delay of congestion pricing won't affect the purchase of more r211s, r262s and CBTC and that the governor is looking for more funding for the MTA.

However, it will affect ADA improvements, the purchase of more buses and SAS phase 2.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

56 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The problem is that these opponents want to force everybody to drive a car.

People have to be very dumb to believe that NYC and other US cities and towns can survive without mass transit.

Driving is not for everyone.

IMO the US needs a third party that is strong and 100% supports the working class.

Going to back to the r211s, there are media sources saying that the delay of congestion pricing won't affect the purchase of more r211s, r262s and CBTC and that the governor is looking for more funding for the MTA.

However, it will affect ADA improvements, the purchase of more buses and SAS phase 2.

at the mta meeting they only mentioned about the R262 being placed on hold. 

51 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

MTA can always impose tolls on the Queensboro, Williamsburg, Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges.  For me personally that would be bad news!

Sorry getting way off topic.

That was going to be next year plan kept hush… lol

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

* Current on the (A) line making stops: 15 R211 trains + 8 R179 trains + 17 R46 trains 

Wdy mean only 15 R211s? I see YouTube videos of "19th/20th R211 enters service" does that mean there's a couple spare sets not in service?

10 minutes ago, NJFoamer114 said:

Wdy mean only 15 R211s? I see YouTube videos of "19th/20th R211 enters service" does that mean there's a couple spare sets not in service?

Spares, and one is testing on Queens blvd lines

For those of you curious of the R211S,

According to my source, there's been massive software issues with the ATC equipment and the ATC system itself. It does not seem to like the R211's at all, often putting the train into penalty multiple times. They've been slowly working out the kinks, and the board material says the 30-day test should happen mid-August, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, NJFoamer114 said:

The spare sets, 5 out of 21 are at Pitkin Yard. The other one was stated at Jamaica Yard for testing. But, they do get rotated at time. Every yard will have at least 5 trains resting there during the rush hours, 

Edited by Calvin