R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

6 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

The A division (minus the (6)/(7) fleet swap) has been pretty stagnant in terms of car assignments for about 20 years, but it's kinda crazy but somehow easy to forgot how most of the B div line fleets have completely changed in 10 years. Compared to even 10 years ago only the (B),(D), (M) ,(E), and (L) have the exact same fleet. Been so used to seeing the 68s on 6th Av that new techs will feel different, but having 68s on Broadway will be nice. I still think that OO1 is better for Jamaica than Concourse though.

Well, given the recent information that's been sent here, it's pretty much a given that Jamaica will most likely be getting R211's over Concourse. Option 2 is the only one that's interesting, but that's being optimistic due to the MTA losing out on congestion funds due to a certain governor trying to appease whoever and it backfiring.

Funny how it's been longer since the (D) has seen anything official outside of the R68/A's since they were first introduced into the system. These next couple or few years will be rather interesting.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

I heard Concourse Barn isnt equipped the handle NTTs of any kind

not sure how true that is...

One could argue at one point, none of them were…

That being said the key to NTT servicing is roof access. You need to be able to get up and swap out the HVAC modules.

19 hours ago, subway guy said:

Regarding the hierarchy, how does the Division of Car Equipment decide what cars go where? I'm asking because, if I'm a superintendent of a line or someone higher up in management, wouldn't I have a say on what equipment should make up my line? I'm looking for how the hierarchy works in terms of decision-making, thanks.

Its because of How the Barns are set up for said Equipment...

I knew a few Supts from Car equipment..

There's your answer...

1 minute ago, RTOMan said:

Its because of How the Barns are set up for said Equipment...

I knew a few Supts from Car equipment..

There's your answer...

I’d like to add on to that question;

Who makes the decision to “borrow” another fleet from another line? For example, an R160 from Jamaica on the (D).

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’d like to add on to that question;

Who makes the decision to “borrow” another fleet from another line? For example, an R160 from Jamaica on the (D).

That wont happen unless there's some GO invovled...

Or a reroute.

Like a R160 (F) along the (D) which has happened.

Not everyone is R160 qualified.. Yes you still need to be Qualified  to operate Tech Trains.

Edited by RTOMan

Boss says Concourse Barn "could" in a pinch handle wheel Turing(Meaning make the wheels round again after flats)...

Then again for a Tech train to be there in the first place  i feel it must be a "we cant move this train anyplace else"..

Thats it...

18 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Well, given the recent information that's been sent here, it's pretty much a given that Jamaica will most likely be getting R211's over Concourse. Option 2 is the only one that's interesting, but that's being optimistic due to the MTA losing out on congestion funds due to a certain governor trying to appease whoever and it backfiring.

Funny how it's been longer since the (D) has seen anything official outside of the R68/A's since they were first introduced into the system. These next couple or few years will be rather interesting.

Congestion pricing isn't cancelled. It's just delayed.

Option 2 will most likely happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if congestion pricing is back on the table after the elections.

17 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

I heard Concourse Barn isnt equipped the handle NTTs of any kind

not sure how true that is...

It's not a matter of "if". It's a matter of "when" the "D" will get NTTs. Only time will tell if the "D" will get r211s or r160s.

8th Avenue and 6th Avenue are getting CBTC and the r68s will eventually retire.

Unfortunately, there are people that get really attach to a specific subway fleet and think that subway cars will stay in service forever. There are even people on social media still spreading rumors about the "return of the r32s".

14 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Unfortunately, there are people that get really attach to a specific subway fleet and think that subway cars will stay in service forever. There are even people on social media still spreading rumors about the "return of the r32s".

Obviously Buffs...

The ones who will never have a job here type of Buffs....

The R32's are finished and there are more than enough R211s that we don't even need them at all anymore, Hence why a small chunk of R46s started retirement. 

As for the (D) getting techs, They'll decide because in reality until 6th ave CBTC is active, The (B)  or (D) don't really need techs since 8th ave CBTC starts at 59th st and you'll still have wayside signals at 59th st. The Only reason why the (D) would need techs is because of the 8th ave re-routes in terms of GOs. IMO they should just extend the (C) to 205th st like before if there's a GO where the (D) is off 6th ave or there's work between Rockefeller and 59th st. Obviously when they do start 6th ave CBTC work, both the (D) and (F) would be re-routed one way or the other.  They can get away with the (B) keeping R68s because it gets suspended anyway and they can just turn the (B) around outside of 8th ave.

43 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

As I've mentioned several times, the D getting New Techs is more to allow reroutes over the Culver Line than to worry about 8th avenue. 

And these reroutes have happen during rush hours, whenever there are issues along 6th Avenue.

And there has been instances where the B does get rerouted along 8th Avenue.

IMO it is less disruptive to reroute the "B", "D", than to suspend service on both lines. That is why IMO both lines should get NTTs.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The R32's are finished and there are more than enough R211s that we don't even need them at all anymore, Hence why a small chunk of R46s started retirement. 

As for the (D) getting techs, They'll decide because in reality until 6th ave CBTC is active, The (B)  or (D) don't really need techs since 8th ave CBTC starts at 59th st and you'll still have wayside signals at 59th st. The Only reason why the (D) would need techs is because of the 8th ave re-routes in terms of GOs. IMO they should just extend the (C) to 205th st like before if there's a GO where the (D) is off 6th ave or there's work between Rockefeller and 59th st. Obviously when they do start 6th ave CBTC work, both the (D) and (F) would be re-routed one way or the other.  They can get away with the (B) keeping R68s because it gets suspended anyway and they can just turn the (B) around outside of 8th ave.

Replacing "D" express service with mixed length "C" local trains is a terrible idea.

The "D" runs more often and most of the stations along Grand Concourse have high ridership even during the weekends. The "C" won't do justice

Unfortunately, there are people out there that want the "B" "D" to keep the r68s until retirement and want the r211s to go to the "N" "W" because Astoria riders "pay a higher subway fare and they are more special than the rest of the subway riders and they are obligated to always have new trains".

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

As I've mentioned several times, the D getting New Techs is more to allow reroutes over the Culver Line than to worry about 8th avenue. 

I meant to put that down too, But I do agree

28 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

Onto the 4300s we go!

May possibly be delivered tomorrow or Friday since another R211 was spotted being delivered in NJ, unless this R211 set skipped the staging in NJ

On 6/25/2024 at 7:24 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Congestion pricing isn't cancelled. It's just delayed.

Option 2 will most likely happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if congestion pricing is back on the table after the elections.

I never said Congestion pricing was cancelled, only thing I'm saying is that they're losing out. Though, I wouldn't be surprised either when congestion pricing is back on the table after or even before elections. Hochul has dug her grave regardless of whatever she does, it's only a matter of time for when Congestion Pricing does become effective and how delayed everything becomes including the R211's second Option Order.

Posted (edited)

R211 fleet status as of 06/27/24:

R211S 100-104 is in Property; 105-124 is in Yonkers, NY; 125-159 is confirmed built in Lincoln, NE; and 160-174 is also confirmed built, however no photos released 

R211T 4040-4059 is all in Property

R211A 4060-4299 is in Property; 4300-4334 is in Lincoln, NE; 4335-4389 is also confirmed built however no photos; 4390-4434 car shells are being built (maybe 4435-4499 also??)

Note: Some Option Order 1 R211A shells are being manufactured in Japan according to past meeting reports with MTA and Kawasaki.

Option Order 2 of R211s is pending exercise as the review of the 2020-2024 Capital Plan is currently in development.

Edited by nikitos6712