R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

21 hours ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

If that happens that would be interesting. Actually, I wonder if they're doing this to test the R211's with CBTC in passenger service, since 8th Ave. CBTC may activate around early next year. 

The set is 4230-4239, even just last night, it apparently seen testing on the entire (F) line. 

There is no "IF" there is only a "When"....

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m reading this as an implication that you think that train crews aren’t too intelligent. I’ve personally operated 9 and 10 car trains on the same day and on the same line,  the (3) , celebrating the Statue of Liberty. I’ve operated 5 and 6 car trains on the (7) line overnight when they did construction work on the stations. 4 and 5 car trains on the (3) Lenox shuttle even being extended to 96th Street and once to Times Square because of delays on the (2) line in the Bronx. Perhaps you should rethink painting your opinion with such a broad brush. I have personal opinions about many of the riders I’ve encountered over my 30 years in transit but that’s my personal opinion. No offense intended to anyone. Carry on.

I pay no mind to people who dont operate trains down here regarding such things...

6 hours ago, DaPr03 said:

Take it as a grain of salt, but it might just be three to five 10-car consists of 211s and 160s respectively being swapped between PIT & JAM. Jamaica Yard is most likely going to go back with 100% 160s afterwards though.

They aren't going to qualify people to have the trains go back to the other lines..

That's not how it works...

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

So then Concourse will get Jamaicas 160s most likely

Negative(i just dig this word lol) This seems like a (A) line gets R160s(not sure prob only a few like say 5) and (E)(F)(R) lines gets the return amount of R211s..

Of coruse there's Folks STILL not Qualified to operate R211s on the (A) hence some of us going "eh why?" But they are going to do what they are going to do..

So we just roll with it....

Edited by RTOMan

14 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

Negative(i just dig this word lol) This seems like a (A) line gets R160s(not sure prob only a few like say 5) and (E)(F)(R) lines gets the return amount of R211s..

Of coruse there's Folks STILL not Qualified to operate R211s on the (A) hence some of us going "eh why?" But they are going to do what they are going to do..

So we just roll with it....

Fair enough

I remember when the now outgoing MTA president saying at the new conference when the pilot rolled out that the r211A would be “ sprinkled ” around the system. just saying…….

22 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

IMO it's too soon for Jamaica to get the r211's. Ridership on the "A" is as high as the "E" and "F" trains.

It will also be confusing for "C" train crews to operate ten car r160's and 8 car r179's.

The whole base order of r211As and Ts should go to Pitkin.

This won't change much since the R160s are still 60 foot cars and the R46s are still being replaced. This more like a test since it's probably just a small amount to see how these R211s would do in CBTC,ATO and etc. in passenger service to prepare them to get more R211 cars in the future. As a fan this is good for the (A) since now it'll have 4-5 types of subway cars briefly which would then turn to 3 once the R46s are off the line.  I said this on my facebook page last year that it wouldn't surprise me if Jamaica got half of the base order while some R160s go to the (A)

On 6/20/2024 at 11:57 AM, RTOMan said:

Not Sure if its Mentioned here (and im not going back to look either)..

Some R211s sets should be in Queens this Summer on the (E)(F)(R) lines..

It will be a Swap with some R160s going to the (A) line..

They have been qualifying train crews on them from Queens for weeks..

There's also a Set in Jamaica Yard they use for CBTC testing on the Midnights which they do every night.

I think the Numbers are in the 4200's...

This doesn't surprise me because they been testing an R211A train set for almost 6 months, It was 4150-59 in the beginning then now it's 4230-39.

My theory (I could be wrong) is that they want the Siemens R160s out of Jamaica but if it's just 5 sets the I can see those 98/9900s go to the (A)

On 6/20/2024 at 11:57 AM, RTOMan said:

Not Sure if its Mentioned here (and im not going back to look either)..

Some R211s sets should be in Queens this Summer on the (E)(F)(R) lines..

It will be a Swap with some R160s going to the (A) line..

They have been qualifying train crews on them from Queens for weeks..

There's also a Set in Jamaica Yard they use for CBTC testing on the Midnights which they do every night.

I think the Numbers are in the 4200's...

Summer is already here. You have to be specific on what date. Because when you post this “rumor”, Summer has begun. So this is just a wait & see configure to see if or when the R211s will go to Jamaica. 

but now since the (F) is CBTC operatable (except for the 6th Ave) version. They have more burn in testing on the Culver Line. This is just getting ready for the (E) line to be fully CBTC. This will bring more trains to the lines with fully CBTC, similarities to both the (7) & (L). But since Politics wanna cry about it………………………..

47 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Summer is already here. You have to be specific on what date. Because when you post this “rumor”, Summer has begun. So this is just a wait & see configure to see if or when the R211s will go to Jamaica. 

but now since the (F) is CBTC operatable (except for the 6th Ave) version. They have more burn in testing on the Culver Line. This is just getting ready for the (E) line to be fully CBTC. This will bring more trains to the lines with fully CBTC, similarities to both the (7) & (L). But since Politics wanna cry about it………………………..

why would they switch in the first place, seems pointless if its true?

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

Jamaica is already fully CBTC so how does putting the R211 on it change anything?  The E & F are fully CBTC cars and they already are fully equipped. 

There could be a number of logical reasons why history is repeating itself a bit:

• There might be a desire to test CBTC/ATO on the R211s for an extended/continuous period of time before Eighth Avenue is cutover.
  • There may be more crews qualified on Jamaica based lines than those on the (A) and (C).
  • Somebody complained. No, seriously, this is the rumor why the 168 St-bound program has MANHATTAN on it.

Stopped by Clifton just before. The R-211S still has blue tape and test train signs in the door windows. There seems to be some sort of electrical work taking place underneath and in the red box along the underside. From what I was told there is some sort of issue with cab signaling being worked out.

R-32 #3388 is also currently parked outside Clifton shops after being trucked down there on June 12 for work service (3rd rail shoes notably removed)

3 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Bruh Just stop, Please. They'll go in service when they go in service. They are currently training  (E) (F) and (R) crews and switch men for R211s on top of the testing they been doing for months. It's obvious they are doing this to test these cars in revenue service so this way they can make sure CBTC/ATO works smoothly on these cars and also to prepare them to get more cars (option order I and/or II)

And Politics have nothing to do with this, The (A) will probably either get these cars back or they'll get more in the future with the option orders. The (A) still has a sizable chunk and as long as the (A) doesn't lose all of it's R211s, This isn't a big deal as they are getting R160s which are also 60 foot cars and it's rumored to be a small amount.

If the rumors are true about a 40/60 split between Jamaica and Pitkin, It's pretty obvious that the Siemens will be the ones going (I could be wrong) but 60% of the 440 car order = to the amount of Siemens R160s that Jamaica has which is all of them.

6 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Oh darn my work jargon again..

"Summer" for us RTO folks means "Summer Pick" Which hasn't started yet...

Yer Welcome...

5 hours ago, RobelyBasis said:

why would they switch in the first place, seems pointless if its true?

Its what they do...

Us RTO folks dont get to caught up in things like that..

Only Buffs do...

10 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

I remember when the now outgoing MTA president saying at the new conference when the pilot rolled out that the r211A would be “ sprinkled ” around the system. just saying…….

Its a rumor nothing more if you ask some folks here....

3 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

Stopped by Clifton just before. The R-211S still has blue tape and test train signs in the door windows. There seems to be some sort of electrical work taking place underneath and in the red box along the underside. From what I was told there is some sort of issue with cab signaling being worked out.

R-32 #3388 is also currently parked outside Clifton shops after being trucked down there on June 12 for work service (3rd rail shoes notably removed)

3389 was sent to Clifton around a year ago too, right? Good to see they kept both from that pair as MOW cars. That leaves (based on nycsubway.org):

- 84 R32s left on property awaiting scrap

- 8 cars as film sets 

- 8 museum cars

- 3 more cars preserved off property 

- 4 cars in work service (2 at Floyd Bennett field and 2 on SI - looks like only the 42s are being kept for work service) 

If Division of Car Equipment says “this is how things are going to be”… then that is how it’s going to be. We in RTO do not ask questions, we get on our trains and go… even if the thing is held together by faith and duct tape.

do we like it when a yard’s fleet is changed? No. But we deal with it.

9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

If Division of Car Equipment says “this is how things are going to be”… then that is how it’s going to be. We in RTO do not ask questions, we get on our trains and go… even if the thing is held together by faith and duct tape.

do we like it when a yard’s fleet is changed? No. But we deal with it.

Only certain  Buffs get all caught up in those things....

Who will never work a day down here i might add...

20 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Jamaica has 100% CBTC Revenue Rolling Stock but the Yard itself isn’t.

Yet its Funny if one has a Put-in out of the Yard they can only charge up the train and Leave in Restricted Manual Mode..

When WSP kicks in down in the Portal then we have to switch to ATPM Mode..

14 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Certain Buffs want to be the first ones to get their "exclusive" videos and photos and claim to be the first ones to post them on scores of sites.

Hey  whatever makes em happy...

The Ones that get a chuckle out of me are the ones basically demanding answers on certain things....

Who dont even hold a job down here...

Never will either...