R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Some R211s sets should be in Queens this Summer on the (E)(F)(R) lines..

It will be a Swap with some R160s going to the (A) line..

They have been qualifying train crews on them from Queens for weeks..

There's also a Set in Jamaica Yard they use for CBTC testing on the Midnights which they do every night.

I think the Numbers are in the 4200's...

If that happens that would be interesting. Actually, I wonder if they're doing this to test the R211's with CBTC in passenger service, since 8th Ave. CBTC may activate around early next year. 

The set is 4230-4239, even just last night, it apparently seen testing on the entire (F) line. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Not Sure if its Mentioned here (and im not going back to look either)..

There's also a Set in Jamaica Yard they use for CBTC testing on the Midnights which they do every night.

is this just to qualify the crews?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Not Sure if its Mentioned here (and im not going back to look either)..

IMO it's too soon for Jamaica to get the r211's. Ridership on the "A" is as high as the "E" and "F" trains.

It will also be confusing for "C" train crews to operate ten car r160's and 8 car r179's.

The whole base order of r211As and Ts should go to Pitkin.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

IMO it's too soon for Jamaica to get the r211's. Ridership on the "A" is as high as the "E" and "F" trains.

It will also be confusing for "C" train crews to operate ten car r160's and 8 car r179's.

Wouldn’t it be the same as operating the 46s and the 179s, as well as the 211Ts?

13 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Wouldn’t it be the same as operating the 46s and the 179s, as well as the 211Ts?

The r46s, r179s and r211s look completely different.

The r160s have similar look to the r179s. Even though they have mechanical differences, not everyone is capable of noticing the differences between r179s and r160s. Therefore, having ten car r160s and eight car r179s on the "C" is as confusing as having eight and ten car r179s on the "C".

IMO the r160s should stay off the " A" and "C" trains unless the MTA is planning to make the "C" 100% full length with the r160s.

55 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r160s have similar look to the r179s. Even though they have mechanical differences, not everyone is capable of noticing the differences between r179s and r160s. Therefore, having ten car r160s and eight car r179s on the "C" is as confusing as having eight and ten car r179s on the "C".

IMO the r160s should stay off the " A" and "C" trains unless the MTA is planning to make the "C" 100% full length with the r160s.

I mean, depending on the state of CBTC with the R179s, I can think of another reason for this move...

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I’m reading this as an implication that you think that train crews aren’t too intelligent. I’ve personally operated 9 and 10 car trains on the same day and on the same line,  the (3) , celebrating the Statue of Liberty. I’ve operated 5 and 6 car trains on the (7) line overnight when they did construction work on the stations. 4 and 5 car trains on the (3) Lenox shuttle even being extended to 96th Street and once to Times Square because of delays on the (2) line in the Bronx. Perhaps you should rethink painting your opinion with such a broad brush. I have personal opinions about many of the riders I’ve encountered over my 30 years in transit but that’s my personal opinion. No offense intended to anyone. Carry on.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lex said:

I mean, depending on the state of CBTC with the R179s, I can think of another reason for this move...

The r179s are not leaving the "A" and "C", especially the ten car r179s. The base order is enough to displace all Pitkin r46s. 

The MTA should stick with the original plan of giving the base order to Pitkin and only give option 2 (maybe a portion of option 1) to Jamaica.

Between the " A", "B", "C" and "D" trains, the "B" is the only line that should get the r160's from Jamaica.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

On 6/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Only 9 R179s run on the (A), 2 R179s are broken up for the (S)-Rockaway, and for the 19 R211s, I think only 15 are in rotation and the rest are as spares or still testing, leaving only 24 NTTs on the (A) and 16 R46s still needed to make service on the (A).

I think at some point towards the by fall or end of summer we could see R211A's start showing up on the (C)  

1 hour ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m reading this as an implication that you think that train crews aren’t too intelligent. I’ve personally operated 9 and 10 car trains on the same day and on the same line,  the (3) , celebrating the Statue of Liberty. I’ve operated 5 and 6 car trains on the (7) line overnight when they did construction work on the stations. 4 and 5 car trains on the (3) Lenox shuttle even being extended to 96th Street and once to Times Square because of delays on the (2) line in the Bronx. Perhaps you should rethink painting your opinion with such a broad brush. I have personal opinions about many of the riders I’ve encountered over my 30 years in transit but that’s my personal opinion. No offense intended to anyone. Carry on

I don't mean to offend you or any other train crews here.

I just think that the "C" should get a portion of the base order and keep the eight car r179s until there are enough r211s to make the "C" 100% full length.

The "A" should get the majority of the base order.

On 6/19/2024 at 5:56 PM, nikitos6712 said:

Looks like we have:

100-104 in property, 105-119 awaiting shipment, 120-144 in production 

4040-4059 in property

4060-4284 in property, 4285-4289 awaiting shipment, 4290-4294 in property, 4295-4324 awaiting shipment, 4325-4364 in production, and 4365-4429 undergoing shell construction?

lol by the time 4400's comes in those cars could be on the (C) line.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

If that happens that would be interesting. Actually, I wonder if they're doing this to test the R211's with CBTC in passenger service, since 8th Ave. CBTC may activate around early next year. 

The set is 4230-4239, even just last night, it apparently seen testing on the entire (F) line. 

Shiiit, I was pretty surprised to see it (4230s) at Coney Island yesterday evening. That numb, testing it full route between 8 p.m. and midnight, iirc.

Can't confirm but for months since 4150 was in the house, I'm hearing that the primary assignments between JAM and PIT might be either 60/40, 40/60 or best way 50/50 but we'll see.... 🙈 

Edited by Metro CSW

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The r179s are not leaving the "A" and "C", especially the ten car r179s. The base order is enough to displace all Pitkin r46s. 

The MTA should stick with the original plan of giving the base order to Pitkin and only give option 2 (maybe a portion of option 1) to Jamaica.

Between the " A", "B", "C" and "D" trains, the "B" is the only line that should get the r160's from Jamaica.

Yes, because that's what I was getting at. There could be no other possible explanation, right?

38 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Shiiit, I was pretty surprised to see it (4230s) at Coney Island yesterday evening. That numb, testing it full route between 8 p.m. and midnight, iirc.

Can't confirm but for months since 4150 was in the house, I'm hearing that the primary assignments between JAM and PIT might be either 60/40, 40/60 or best way 50/50 but we'll see.... 🙈 

It's possible Jamaica and Pitkin even out Primary order 220 cars for Jamaica and 220 cars for Pitkin, Coney Island Yard may get some of Option order.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

Take it as a grain of salt, but it might just be three to five 10-car consists of 211s and 160s respectively being swapped between PIT & JAM. Jamaica Yard is most likely going to go back with 100% 160s afterwards though.

Edited by DaPr03

6 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

With the exception of the r211Ss, Pitkin should get 100% of the base order plus a portion of option 1.

8 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I don't mean to offend you or any other train crews here.

I just think that the "C" should get a portion of the base order and keep the eight car r179s until there are enough r211s to make the "C" 100% full length.

The "A" should get the majority of the base order.

The C can’t go full length until the inspection barn at 207 is expanded to take a full length train, as PIT can not inspect and maintain enough trains to cover all C service.

18 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The Powers that be dont agree with your opinion..