R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

38 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The first option order will most likely make the C and G 100% full length and make the B/D 100% NTTs. The G will either get r179's from the C or get r160's from ENY. If CI gets r211As is going to be for the B.

Yeah, those are most important. Option order 1 would likely not even provide enough cars to make the B and D completely NTT. Option order 2 is going to help us out a lot, and will sort out the rest. Most important is to run full length C and G trains because they are actively harmed by shorter trains.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

The base order of r211As will most likely displace all the r46's off the A/C. That's is probably one of the reasons why the 8 car r179's are being retrofitted with CBTC, even though the J/Z is not getting CBTC any time.

The first option order will most likely make the C and G 100% full length and make the B/D 100% NTTs. The G will either get r179's from the C or get r160's from ENY. If CI gets r211As is going to be for the B. 

I do see second option order going to Jamaica, regardless if it's open gangway or not, while CI gets some of the r160's plus all the r68's.

The MTA needs to exercise the second option order not just for CBTC, but also for the second phase of SAS, which will require more trains for the Q.

Is it true that the MTA included the r268 in the same capital program as the r262's???

The (G) will be better off going full length for fleet flexibility. Making the (G)  8 cars would create another issue. Now the (G) would have to have a dedicated fleet of 8 car units meaning the spare factor would have to increase for that fleet meaning more cars for Jamaica or Coney Island and this would cost even more money. The main reason why the (G) was moved back to Jamaica was for fleet flexibility besides CBTC related things. If the (G) is 10 cars, it can still share fleet with the (E)(F) and (R) like it does now since it's 5 cars and this would allow it to continue to be 100% flexible with Jamaica's fleet or even Coney Island's fleet if it were to go back. The extra 8 car units should be used for additional 4th ave service with either the (J) being extended or something similar to the brown <R>. I would call it the nassau st shuttle or something with a brown (S).

The 8 car R179s getting CBTC would allow the (M) to use those cars as well.

But I think for now the (C) would still run 40% full length and 60% 8 cars until around the start of congestion pricing. The R211s would just take the place of the R46s. It's a dumb thing to run the (C) as it is now but i think NYCT and car equipment will need more time to figure out things. Who knows they might have already figured it out.

Edited by R32 3838

4 hours ago, Reptile said:

207 and Pitkin are getting R211s of course, I have heard the MTA wants to make the (C) 10-car trains, so will this mean the (A) will become 100% R211 and move its 5-car R179s to the (C)? Will those 4-car sets move to the (J)(Z)?

Also if the (D) becomes 100% R211 at Concourse will R211s be placed in service at Coney Island for the (B)(N)(Q)(W) or will they be placed in Jamaica to move R160s to Coney Island?

3 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

I agree with the first bit. For the second part I suspect Broadway gets R68/A and Jamaica gets R211 but who knows what the MTA is plotting.

What we know so far is that the (A) & (C) is getting the r211s; the (B) & (D) will be NTT either with r160s or r211s; and all r68/as will be at CI yard.

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The (G) will be better off going full length for fleet flexibility. Making the (G)  8 cars would create another issue. Now the (G) would have to have a dedicated fleet of 8 car units meaning the spare factor would have to increase for that fleet meaning more cars for Jamaica or Coney Island and this would cost even more money. The main reason why the (G) was moved back to Jamaica was for fleet flexibility besides CBTC related things. If the (G) is 10 cars, it can still share fleet with the (E)(F) and (R) like it does now since it's 5 cars and this would allow it to continue to be 100% flexible with Jamaica's fleet or even Coney Island's fleet if it were to go back. The extra 8 car units should be used for additional 4th ave service with either the (J) being extended or something similar to the brown <R>. I would call it the nassau st shuttle or something with a brown (S).

The 8 car R179s getting CBTC would allow the (M) to use those cars as well.

But I think for now the (C) would still run 40% full length and 60% 8 cars until around the start of congestion pricing. The R211s would just take the place of the R46s. It's a dumb thing to run the (C) as it is now but i think NYCT and car equipment will need more time to figure out things. Who knows they might have already figured it out.

Hopefully, option order 2 would allow these changes to happen and yes, 4th Avenue needs more local service.

Okay… people… can we keep the arguing over equipment allocation out of this thread?

NOTHING is set in stone beyond the first 211As replacing Pitkin’s R46 compliment.

Everything else, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

could the 211s end up In Concourse? Yes. 
could they end up at Jamaica? Also yes.

the simple answer is we’re not at the point yet.

this is like asking someone who just had a child where they’re going to high school. There are things that need to happen before we get to that point.

so, do us all a favor and have a little more patience.

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Okay… people… can we keep the arguing over equipment allocation out of this thread?

NOTHING is set in stone beyond the first 211As replacing Pitkin’s R46 compliment.

this is like asking someone who just had a child where they’re going to high school. There are things that need to happen before we get to that point.

Too many posters here are talking like they know exactly what is going to happen as to equipment assignments.  After their OPINIONS, others say "I heard this, or I heard that" and others, because said opinion was repeated several times, the opinion becomes fact.    It is truly ridiculous!

27 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Too many posters here are talking like they know exactly what is going to happen as to equipment assignments. 

Oh dear, dont get me started on the r211 assignment arguments in the youtube comments. The kids there are even crazier about this lmfao. Atleast the conversations here are more tame in my opinion but i agree, its best to just wait and see what happens to r211s within the next few years.

1 hour ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

So the r211 was put in at 0644 to farrockaway this morning I really think the clock was reset

It's possible the R211 is still on the same run because most (A) line crews still aren't qualified yet. Haven't seen anything posted about additional crews being trained on the R211s.

10 hours ago, Ale188 said:

I have to say…this is very awkward that 4124 is delivered. I mean I know they don’t have to be in numerical order but still. It’s hard for me to think of this number being delivered THIS EARLY!!!

The cars before these cars were already built. If you looked at the Kawasaki video, 4090 was built 6 months ago (not fully built but the shell was moving around the plant). They are probably at the 4200s by now.

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I don't see the problem with this, I don't get the issue at all. As long as we keep it respectful, I don't see the issue with it at all. That's the point of a forum. I get it it can get annoying but unless it's a rule (which would really be dumb) It shouldn't be an issue. It's like when people talk assignments, people get anal about it when it isn't serious. we all know assignments are subject to change.

48 minutes ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

Oh dear, dont get me started on the r211 assignment arguments in the youtube comments. The kids there are even crazier about this lmfao. Atleast the conversations here are more tame in my opinion but i agree, its best to just wait and see what happens to r211s within the next few years.

yea the youtube comments are something else. This is why i don't get the flack on here. People are going to share their opinions regardless on assignments, What they think and etc. People get annoyed over the most stupidest things on here sometimes.

37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

It's possible the R211 is still on the same run because most (A) line crews still aren't qualified yet. Haven't seen anything posted about additional crews being trained on the R211s.

They been training just about everyone on the R211s

Edited by R32 3838

43 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't see the problem with this, I don't get the issue at all. As long as we keep it respectful, I don't see the issue with it at all. That's the point of a forum. I get it it can get annoying but unless it's a rule (which would really be dumb) It shouldn't be an issue. It's like when people talk assignments, people get anal about it when it isn't serious. we all know assignments are subject to change.

The problem is we keep beating the same dead horse over and over and over. There is never anything new with that section of the conversation.

we keep going down this same avenue people keep making the same points, and they are making the odd points as if they are factual instead of their assumptions and opinions. 

2 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

So the r211 was put in at 0644 to farrockaway this morning I really think the clock was reset

Nope, A lot of people have confirmed that it passed.

As for the schedule it could be crew related.

I'm glad that the pilot train is back in service and we should expect the first production train to enter service at any moment.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

The cars before these cars were already built. If you looked at the Kawasaki video, 4090 was built 6 months ago (not fully built but the shell was moving around the plant). They are probably at the 4200s by now.

Well damn...

Edited by Ale188

30 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Nope, A lot of people have confirmed that it passed.

As for the schedule it could be crew related.

I'm glad that the pilot train is back in service and we should expect the first production train to enter service at any moment.

Possible checking to see how it runs after the software updates?

46 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

With the feds finally giving the green light for congestion pricing, At any given moment Option Order II is a lock and the money coming from congestion pricing will fund the next new orders (R262/268)

Yes!!! 🙌

If all goes well moving forward, by 2033 (10 years from now), the only SMEEs left are going to be the garbage trains and NY Transit Museum trains

17 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

Yeah, those are most important. Option order 1 would likely not even provide enough cars to make the B and D completely NTT. Option order 2 is going to help us out a lot, and will sort out the rest. Most important is to run full length C and G trains because they are actively harmed by shorter trains.

Let’s put this into perspective.

140 of the R-211’s being Delivered will make up for the loss of the R-32’s that were retired back in 2022.

940 R-211’s are needed to Fully Replace the R-46 Fleet.

I’m not going to Count the 75 R-211S’s as they’re not relevant to my point.

As it stands now, the Base Order and Option 1 Combined will be enough to displace the R-68/68A to CIY if we take 6th Avenue CBTC into Account, but I don’t think it will be enough to make the (C) and (G) Full Length Yet. 

…thats where Option Order 2 comes in.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

With the feds finally giving the green light for congestion pricing, At any given moment Option Order II is a lock and the money coming from congestion pricing will fund the next new orders (R262/268)

I reeeaaally hope the MTA waits until they can properly evaluate open gangways using the new test trains before placing any new train orders. Otherwise this whole experiment in open gangways will have been for nothing. (I think they should have waited before placing option order 1, but whatever.) 

29 minutes ago, rbrome said:

I reeeaaally hope the MTA waits until they can properly evaluate open gangways using the new test trains before placing any new train orders. Otherwise this whole experiment in open gangways will have been for nothing. (I think they should have waited before placing option order 1, but whatever.) 

They did option order I so they can get rid of all the R46s since the base order plus the option order is more than enough to replace the R46 fleet and have a surplus of 155 cars (in reality 55 cars since the first 100 R211 are replacing the already retired R32s.)  while Option Order II would just be for fleet expansion.

37 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Let’s put this into perspective.

140 of the R-211’s being Delivered will make up for the loss of the R-32’s that were retired back in 2022.

940 R-211’s are needed to Fully Replace the R-46 Fleet.

I’m not going to Count the 75 R-211S’s as they’re not relevant to my point.

As it stands now, the Base Order and Option 1 Combined will be enough to displace the R-68/68A to CIY if we take 6th Avenue CBTC into Account, but I don’t think it will be enough to make the (C) and (G) Full Length Yet. 

…thats where Option Order 2 comes in.

They can still Make the (C) and (G) full length, They just have to keep a certain amount of R46s until there is enough R211s to retire those remaining R46s. They are aiming for april of next year to start congestion pricing so they will have to hang on to some R46s plus Coney island is going to need more R46s to increase their spare factor.

Edited by R32 3838

41 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

They did option order I so they can get rid of all the R46s since the base order plus the option order is more than enough to replace the R46 fleet and have a surplus of 155 cars (in reality 55 cars since the first 100 R211 are replacing the already retired R32s.)  while Option Order II would just be for fleet expansion.

They can still Make the (C) and (G) full length, They just have to keep a certain amount of R46s until there is enough R211s to retire those remaining R46s. They are aiming for april of next year to start congestion pricing so they will have to hang on to some R46s plus Coney island is going to need more R46s to increase their spare factor.

Remember this is the MTA we are talking about…