R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

Its much more frequent then you think. I've had several walkers and wheelchairs on my trains in the last 2 weeks. Just be happy the damn trains don't beep at you every stop everytime the doors are open like the CTA 7k and MBTA CRRC cars lol

Even if there's several wheelchairs, having one designated wheelchair space per car (10 total for a train) is more than enough to satisfy needs. 

Edited by U-BahnNYC

I don't know if any of you noticed this, but when the train is approaching the station, it's "This is" screen is more similar to the ones found on the R160/R179. The R211T's have this, and I think I saw the R211A's with this during testing. It was supposed to show transfers, the next stop, elevator and staircase/escalator locations, and current car. Maybe it has been reprogrammed? I don't know, but images will be attached below give an example of what I mean. 

1920px-R211T_Ride_-_52666574807.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

7 minutes ago, foggymetro said:

I don't know if any of you noticed this, but when the train is approaching the station, it's "This is" screen is more similar to the ones found on the R160/R179. The R211T's have this, and I think I saw the R211A's with this during testing. It was supposed to show transfers, the next stop, elevator and staircase/escalator locations, and current car. Maybe it has been reprogrammed? I don't know, but images will be attached below give an example of what I mean. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Last I heard they were still gathering the data for those maps.

2 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

lmao the train is literally just making runs up and down the A; you sit somewhere long enough, it'll pass by.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I don’t get how everyone is able to catch the R211’s. I want to go see them but there’s no set schedule or even when it’s out.

There is no set schedule on what trains are being put in service. First train that leaves the yard is the first one in service, then another one, etc.  That’s how they’re doing it now a day, and like others say: you have to have the time if you’re not doing nothing all day to go and sit on the 8th Avenue line to see if you can spot the first R211s in service. The same way goes for buses as well

Edited by FLX9304
I forgot to add a second one

6 hours ago, foggymetro said:

During it's testing, it showed what side the doors will open on. What happened to it? Doors open signage shown here:

https://youtu.be/de-p8CEPlow

It was turned off for a reason. What that reason is is currently unclear, but it was for a reason. 

as it stands, the only way the train knows which side the doors will truly open on is which side the train operator has enabled and which side the conductor has their key in the door controls for.

you might well say “well, can’t they just program it in…”

That only works if everything is perfect and normal and we all know those concepts do not exist down there.

For example, “express on the local”. I’m still making the same station stops, but with few exceptions, I’m opening up on the other side than I normally would as an express. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's a live update thread on NYC Rail Reddit mentioning the whereabouts of the R211 while it’s in service.

That’s much more than what I had 30 years ago when trying to catch the R110A/B trains. Or even 21-23 years ago when trying to catch the R142/A/R143 trains. 

2 minutes ago, mine248 said:

Some of y’all are really destroying the reputation of other rail fans (to the point that the innocent have to hide this hobby now) https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpquuWwtVJU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Actually, that didn't seem that bad; I put more blame on the conductor for letting them check it out in the first place and the kids just seemed excited and didn't really do anything absurd or dangerous.

4 hours ago, foggymetro said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think this is possible on the R211, but it would be neat if somehow the next train model could calculate and display the crowding data by car simillar to the LIRR app. It might help people more evenly disperse on some of these more crowded lines.

9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It was turned off for a reason. What that reason is is currently unclear, but it was for a reason. 

as it stands, the only way the train knows which side the doors will truly open on is which side the train operator has enabled and which side the conductor has their key in the door controls for.

you might well say “well, can’t they just program it in…”

That only works if everything is perfect and normal and we all know those concepts do not exist down there.

For example, “express on the local”. I’m still making the same station stops, but with few exceptions, I’m opening up on the other side than I normally would as an express. 

That probably explains why the door lights weren't working the way they should. 

Idk this R211A inaugural run is like a scam. All of the new "real beneficial" features did NOT exists or doesn't exist on this train. You think R211 you think, open gangway, door indicating lights, and station layout information with exits/escalators/elevator and which car you're in. 

Open gangway: Obviously the -A doesn't have open gangway, so that's why this train doesn't really feel "new" to the average person, they need to find something that's really different from the rest of the trains. When the R211T enters service, it'll catch the average public attention much, much more.

Door Indicating Lights: When I saw the MTA displaying this at the R211 display, my first thought was "oh this is what the have on the Montreal Azur trains". Which means they light up green when the train is approaching a station so you know which side the doors are opening. Then remain green until the doors are closing in which they then turn blinking red. Once the doors are closed the lights turn off and then stay off until they approach the next station, in which they turn green again. It should be programmed with the "This Is" announcement as a train approaches a station. See below example of how it works in Montreal: 

Station Layout Display: This feature is on the MP14 in Paris for Line 14 and Line 4, (and soon Line 11). Kamen, you make a good point as to why it might be difficult, but I'm sure there's a solution. If anything, it should be programmed for "normal operations", and then be disabled whenever the train deviates from its normal routing (or normal service pattern). 

Other than those features, the only other real benefit it has to the general public is security cameras (which doesn't help anyone on a daily basis). 

Here's some things the General Public doesn't care / doesn't like about this train.

1. The 25% seat decrease (people with long commutes gotta stand on a subway that's for the most part, delayed and slow). The (A) is essential packed from 59st-Broadway Junction on a regular. Good luck commuting between that and the seats are taken before you even get on. 

2. A bunch of TV screens showing ads across the car (the public doesn't care). Looks "nice", but all the other NTTs have it.

3. The destination/next stop sign in the cars.  For the first time in NTT history, the full station text cannot fit on one screen / row for common stations. This deviates from what everyone is used to seeing on all the other NTTs, so that's going to take some time getting used to. Not sure why MTA would allow them to spec the train with less characters than before. 

4. The door lights. They look cool and "modern", but what's the point? Obviously the blinking red is good when doors are closing but what about the green? Until the lights are used for what people would really find them beneficial for, then it just looks like a waste to them in which they would then think MTA could spend the money on better things. 

I love the R211, but I'm really here for the R211T, as that's the real next generation subway car. And hopefully they can address the flaws mentioned above by time the R211T enter service, so it can really feel like a brand new train with modern features. 

You feel that way because you’re not exposed to them the way some of us are. 

the 211s as a whole are very different from a hardware perspective, for example, with a flick of a single switch, I can lock out all the doors in one car.

meanwhile there is really only one important thing that sets the 211A and 211T apart not involving the gangways.

The L3 and R6 door panels on the Ts can be opened individually and have a deployable handle and a step to allow transit personnel to climb down because we no longer can between the cars, save at the ends of units.

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That probably explains why the door lights weren't working the way they should. 

Idk this R211A inaugural run is like a scam. All of the new "real beneficial" features did NOT exists or doesn't exist on this train. You think R211 you think, open gangway, door indicating lights, and station layout information with exits/escalators/elevator and which car you're in. 

Open gangway: Obviously the -A doesn't have open gangway, so that's why this train doesn't really feel "new" to the average person, they need to find something that's really different from the rest of the trains. When the R211T enters service, it'll catch the average public attention much, much more.

Door Indicating Lights: When I saw the MTA displaying this at the R211 display, my first thought was "oh this is what the have on the Montreal Azur trains". Which means they light up green when the train is approaching a station so you know which side the doors are opening. Then remain green until the doors are closing in which they then turn blinking red. Once the doors are closed the lights turn off and then stay off until they approach the next station, in which they turn green again. It should be programmed with the "This Is" announcement as a train approaches a station. See below example of how it works in Montreal: 

Station Layout Display: This feature is on the MP14 in Paris for Line 14 and Line 4, (and soon Line 11). Kamen, you make a good point as to why it might be difficult, but I'm sure there's a solution. If anything, it should be programmed for "normal operations", and then be disabled whenever the train deviates from its normal routing (or normal service pattern). 

Other than those features, the only other real benefit it has to the general public is security cameras (which doesn't help anyone on a daily basis). 

Here's some things the General Public doesn't care / doesn't like about this train.

1. The 25% seat decrease (people with long commutes gotta stand on a subway that's for the most part, delayed and slow). The (A) is essential packed from 59st-Broadway Junction on a regular. Good luck commuting between that and the seats are taken before you even get on. 

2. A bunch of TV screens showing ads across the car (the public doesn't care). Looks "nice", but all the other NTTs have it.

3. The destination/next stop sign in the cars.  For the first time in NTT history, the full station text cannot fit on one screen / row for common stations. This deviates from what everyone is used to seeing on all the other NTTs, so that's going to take some time getting used to. Not sure why MTA would allow them to spec the train with less characters than before. 

4. The door lights. They look cool and "modern", but what's the point? Obviously the blinking red is good when doors are closing but what about the green? Until the lights are used for what people would really find them beneficial for, then it just looks like a waste to them in which they would then think MTA could spend the money on better things. 

I love the R211, but I'm really here for the R211T, as that's the real next generation subway car. And hopefully they can address the flaws mentioned above by time the R211T enter service, so it can really feel like a brand new train with modern features. 

WiFi and USB were also promised, the WiFi isn't there at all, and idk about the USB. I can't even fathom how the hell WiFi would work... in a subway car.... underground, without being unreliable. Maybe these features will be added later in a future hardware and software upgrade.