Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

26 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Thank goodness for the subways being civil service. I can’t imagine how screwed we’d be if the hiring process was the same as LIRR, MNRR, or Amtrak. Railroads like to nitpick candidates or play nepotism sometimes.

Dont get TOO optimistic, the 1 in 3 rule still exists....

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is for you new folks, folks waiting to come in, or folks who been here a minute....

PLEASE STAY OFF THEM CELL PHONES WHILE OPERATING, this goes for TOs and CRs( Especially CRs they caught four of them last week)..

It dont matter if the train is sitting in the station, in the tunnel, on the bridge..

Oh and that goes for Them Ear Buds too..

Protect your Job folks please and for the folks on probation if caught good chance you are terminated there is no second chance.

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 5:25 PM, Comrade96 said:

Dont get TOO optimistic, the 1 in 3 rule still exists....

From the 2015-2017 conductor exam, how many people were victims of the 1 in 3 rule and got screwed over?

Edited by 2ride

9 minutes ago, 2ride said:

From the 2015-2017 conductor exam, how many people were victims of the 1 in 3 rule and got screwed over?

Dont know, but there are a few in the forum that were

I wouldnt say they were "screwed over"

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

Dont know, but there are a few in the forum that were

I wouldnt say they were "screwed over"

If they didn’t get the job, it’s considered as being screwed over. They should sue because I don’t think the 1/3 rule is ethical or fair. They paid to take the test to get the job, they deserve a chance.

6 minutes ago, 2ride said:

If they didn’t get the job, it’s considered as being screwed over. They should sue because I don’t think the 1/3 rule is ethical or fair. They paid to take the test to get the job, they deserve a chance.

paying to take the test doesnt guarantee you a spot 

If they have 1 job available and 3 people are going after it, they can only hire 1, we cant hire everbody

18 hours ago, RTOMan said:

This is for you new folks, folks waiting to come in, or folks who been here a minute....

PLEASE STAY OFF THEM CELL PHONES WHILE OPERATING, this goes for TOs and CRs( Especially CRs they caught four of them last week)..

It dont matter if the train is sitting in the station, in the tunnel, on the bridge..

Oh and that goes for Them Ear Buds too..

Protect your Job folks please and for the folks on probation if caught good chance you are terminated there is no second chance.

I second this! Because more people have been getting caught, supervisors will be out there more and more looking out for this. Keep the phones out of sight! They are NOT playing around. I promise you whatever you need to do with the phone can wait until you get to the terminal. A train operator who was in school car took out his phone during an exam and they immediately kicked him out the room and he had to go to 130 Livingston street. I don’t know the outcome of his situation but my point is to KEEP THE PHONES AWAY. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

paying to take the test doesnt guarantee you a spot 

If they have 1 job available and 3 people are going after it, they can only hire 1, we cant hire everbody

So how do they know which 1 of 3 to pick? Based on medical exam?

Edited by 2ride

6 hours ago, 2ride said:

So how do they know which 1 of 3 to pick? Based on medical exam?

From my personal experience, if you disclose in your pre-employment packet that you were a former NYC Transit or MTA employee, then they will automatically use the 1-in-3 rule. As an example, I failed the Bus Operator Training Session in February of 2014, and, when they reached my name for the position of Track Worker, they sent me a 1-in-3 letter with a very vague explanation.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

From my personal experience, if you disclose in your pre-employment packet that you were a former NYC Transit or MTA employee, then they will automatically use the 1-in-3 rule. As an example, I failed the Bus Operator Training Session in February of 2014, and, when they reached my name for the position of Track Worker, they sent me a 1-in-3 letter with a very vague explanation.

I never worked for the MTA before. This would be my first time getting called for a job with NYCT from the list of station agent or conductor. 

Did you try to fight the vagueness?

Edited by 2ride

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, +Young+ said:

To make a long story very short: No.

I feel so bad for you. No one should be treated that way. If you can’t use a union rep or hire a lawyer what’s the point of letting them get away with so much crap? For real…

Edited by 2ride

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 11:14 PM, 2ride said:

I feel so bad for you. No one should be treated that way. If you can’t use a union rep or hire a lawyer what’s the point of letting them get away with so much crap? For real…

Its part of the New York State Civil Service Law...

They quote that when you get the Letter.

Once the MTA get control of this new list which the test money was paid to the MTA not DCAS...

The game can truly begin...

It will be just like another Big Company hiring people doing things their way...

Edited by RTOMan

9 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Its part of the New York State Civil Service Law...

They quote that when you get the Letter.

Once the MTA get control of this new list which the test money was paid to the MTA not DCAS...

The game can truly begin...

It will be just like another Big Company hiring people doing things their way...

Can we know if things are going to get better or worse when MTA takes over the whole thing?

3 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Can we know if things are going to get better or worse when MTA takes over the whole thing?

well I can tell you right off the bat the chances of it getting better......youll have more luck winning the lottery

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

well I can tell you right off the bat the chances of it getting better......youll have more luck winning the lottery

Subways and buses should set a contract/agreement with LIRR and MNRR that anyone who has some years of seniority and work experience within their field of position can opt to transfer over to railroads for similar positions without the fear of being discriminated for whatever reason. This can ensure that everyone who is already an MTA employee and still wants to work for the railroad gets a fair chance at them. I bring this up because I see some people unfairly get weeded out and don’t get a shot. 

Edited by 2ride

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2ride said:

Subways and buses should set a contract/agreement with LIRR and MNRR that anyone who has some years of seniority and work experience within their field of position can opt to transfer over to railroads for similar positions without the fear of being discriminated for whatever reason. This can ensure that everyone who is already an MTA employee and still wants to work for the railroad gets a fair chance at them. I bring this up because I see some people unfairly get weeded out and don’t get a shot. 

Hell nah. Discriminated? What do you mean by unfairly weeded out? You get a leg up to get your foot in the door for the hiring process but that should be it. If you can’t survive the training program, then you shouldn’t become an engineer/conductor, it’s that simple. RR conductors and subway conductors have different skill sets albeit the same title. T/O’s and engineers do the same main tasks but engineers are held to a higher standard. 

Edited by danielhg121

On 7/14/2024 at 4:48 PM, Comrade96 said:

That's when they really can SELECT who they want to employ and not have civil service law get in the way...

They will probably exhaust this current list...

11 hours ago, RTOMan said:

That's when they really can SELECT who they want to employ and not have civil service law get in the way...

wait, so will 4600 have a different process than the one talked about in this thread?

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, RTOMan said:

I’m not getting a good feeling out of this… maybe we should keep the NYS civil service. 

Without the civil service law, they can secretly screw everyone over and piss everybody off.

Edited by 2ride

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 2ride said:

I’m not getting a good feeling out of this… maybe we should keep the NYS civil service. 

Without the civil service law, they can secretly screw everyone over and piss everybody off.

We are but pawns in the grand scheme of things, nobody here can alter that choice, IF it is made

Edited by Comrade96

9 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

We are but pawns in the grand scheme of things, nobody here can alter that choice, IF it is made

Time for people to start documenting everything the subways does during hiring process so in case they get more lawsuits this time, we have emails/paperwork to prove it for defense.