1 year anniversary of first R188s in service

Union Tpke

Great.... It is going to take awhile for the (7) line to run all full R188's. I haven't rode the R188 myself yet but if you had been riding on those R188, does it feel different compare to being on the R142?

not really, they are basically newer R142As with CBTC in them and in some car boxes for CBTC. The R188s are my favorite NTT.

Great.... It is going to take awhile for the (7) line to run all full R188's. I haven't rode the R188 myself yet but if you had been riding on those R188, does it feel different compare to being on the R142?

If you rode the R142A, then you rode the R188

...sans the different announcements, slightly tinted windows, and less bucking

If you rode the R142A, then you rode the R188

...sans the different announcements, slightly tinted windows, and less bucking

Yeah, your right. A few years back, before the (E) got the R160's or just receiving them, I remembered riding the R143 for the first time on the (L). I know the R143's and the R160's are the same but has different traction motor sounds.

No more bucking when starting up, unless one of the other coupled set is set incorrectly.

Updated Announcments for the (7) line. From what i know, pre-R188 the (7) line announcer was different

Smoother rides, almost like an R160.

C cars are non powered cars.

Combined handle is now on the right

I had my opportunity to take the R188 but I didn't. I took 2 buses to get to Flushing. I walked down the stairs on the left side, saw the R62, so I got on. It was about to get crowded and I didn't realize the R188 was across the platform, completely empty. I didn't walk out the R62 train because I would look like a fool for leaving the crowded train that was about to leave in less than 20 seconds to a empty R188. lol

Archived