Rare Map of the New York, Westchester and Boston Railway

Union Tpke

Rare Map of the New York, Westchester and Boston Railway

Source:  Linder, B., " The Westchester's Last Days" in The Bulletin, Electric Railroaders' Association, Vol. 56, No.1, January, 2013, p. 7,8.  Drawing of Map is from Marvin L. Landsman, et. al. Electric Railroaders' Association, May, 1962.

westchester.jpg
westchester.jpg
The New York, Westchester and Boston Railway, which ran in Bronx and Westchester counties ended service after midnight on December 31, 1937 as a result of the Great Depression.  Many books have been written on the subject.  My experience with the line is riding the IRT Dyre Avenue Line in the Bronx which took over part of the right of way (see map) on May 15, 1941 as a shuttle line.  (Present Day IRT Number 5 Route). Much of the right of way north of the Bronx has been taken over by roads and general development.  I came across the map which was republished in "The Bulletin" and I thought it would be interesting to post.  The railroad was built according to high standards and I did not believe how extensive the coverage.  Notice that the end of line was Harlem River where there was a transfer to the Third Avenue Line.  We covered the area mentioned earlier in the blog.  Users of the NY, Westchester and Boston did not have a one seat ride to the "city ".  Perhaps if the NY, Westchester and Boston traveled up the ramp to the Third Avenue El station at 133 Street, where a cross platform transfer could have been arranged, or through service provided from Westchester, the histories of both railways (El and NY, Westchester and Boston), would have been different.

http://tramway-null.blogspot.com/2014/02/rare-map-of-new-york-westchester-and.html

Archived