Oh the Irony (and I thought I've seen everything)...

Great pic! That is not irony it just happened to be that run number.

Can you please explain which definition for irony you mean.

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun

1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicismmockerysatire, sardonicism
    "that note of irony in her voice"

• a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
      plural noun: ironies
      "the irony is that I thought he could help me"
      synonyms: paradoxincongruity, incongruousness
      "the irony of the situation"

• a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
      adjective: dramatic

Great pic! That is not irony it just happened to be that run number.

Can you please explain which definition for irony you mean.

i·ro·ny1
ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
noun

1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicismmockerysatire, sardonicism
    "that note of irony in her voice"

• a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
      plural noun: ironies
      "the irony is that I thought he could help me"
      synonyms: paradoxincongruity, incongruousness
      "the irony of the situation"

• a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
      adjective: dramatic

See, SUNNYSIDE, is probably a nicely settled place, where it's calm and "safe" everything, and this is the express bus, where it's generally calm and everything, no ruckus. SUNNYSIDE is probably somewhere where most people would like to be in or reside. The run number is generally signifcant of the opposite, a reminder a place where nobody wants to be associated with.

Look at it from an OP perspective as well: The express bus is less of a problem than the local in crowd and types of riders for the most part. It also has it's differences too (like severely long times per trip).

Archived