Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

48 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I agree. There's absolutely no way they can run full service without bringing the R32's back.

If car equipment doesn't want to work on them, then have the R32's run only during the rush on the (A) and send additional R46's to the (C). At least this way the door Motors won't fail as frequently and 207th St can keep an eye on them. They should only run them on the Rockaway Park (A) trips.

Or they could sent the R32's to the Rockaway Park Shuttle and leave the R46's solely for the (A).

IMO 50 cars to ENY on the (J)(Z) is much easier. But Them on the (A) wouldn't hurt neither, put them on the lefferts put ins since they can lay them up at 207th after the PM rush.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The R46s condition at CI is exaggerated on here. According to that NYCT performance chart the R46 MDBF is pretty much the same as it was last year at this time, the fleet overall fleet MDBF went UP, actually. 

I doubt that the N/Q lines intervals are being dropped in the masses daily cause the R46s there are supposedly breaking down so much. Yeah they have dead motors, etc but the trains are still able to run. I'm sure the union would have bought the issue to the media attention to bring back the 32s to increase the space factor by now or something those lines.

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The R46s condition at CI is exaggerated on here. According to that NYCT performance chart the R46 MDBF is pretty much the same as it was last year at this time, the fleet overall fleet MDBF went UP, actually. 

I doubt that the N/Q lines intervals are being dropped in the masses daily cause the R46s there are supposedly breaking down so much. Yeah they have dead motors, etc but the trains are still able to run. I'm sure the union would have bought the issue to the media attention to bring back the 32s to increase the space factor by now or something those lines.

so why everyday they have equipment problems on the (Q) ? I've spoken to a decent amount of people who work the (N)(Q) and  (W) and they all told me the R46's are dog shit compared to the ones on the (A)(C) lines.

when you run 45 year old subway cars on 3 lines (G)(N)(Q) they are gonna break down more often. Why do you think people keep saying put them on the (B) ? the (A) has the R179's to back it up, the (Q) doesn't have the R160's to back it up. This is why they need a higher spare factor. The R32's weren't supposed to go until the first R211's hit service.

The 46's are back on the (G) ?

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

IMO 50 cars to ENY on the (J)(Z) is much easier. But Them on the (A) wouldn't hurt neither, put them on the lefferts put ins since they can lay them up at 207th after the PM rush.

Nah, ENY is horrible with maintaining the R32's. 207th St is better at handling them.

And it's better to run the R32's on the Rockaway Park trippers so they're not running all the time.

4 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They are, when 1/2 of the R46s went to Coney Island. Leftovers from the pool or like 4 4-cars of R68s swapped to either the (N) or (Q) . 

Edited by Calvin

11 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Nah, ENY is horrible with maintaining the R32's. 207th St is better at handling them.

And it's better to run the R32's on the Rockaway Park trippers so they're not running all the time.

207th's were worse. riding an R32 on the (J)(Z) was alot better than riding them on the (C) and putting them on the rock park trippers would spark complaints. those rock park residents like the R46's. lefferts put ins are better anyway since they still do a trip or two before being laid up.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

when you run 45 year old subway cars on 3 lines (G)(N)(Q) they are gonna break down more often. Why do you think people keep saying put them on the (B) ? the (A) has the R179's to back it up, the (Q) doesn't have the R160's to back it up. This is why they need a higher spare factor. The R32's weren't supposed to go until the first R211's hit service.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but, it's like only 1 train for the rush hour (AM and PM)

* (R) to 96 St, only for 1 limited south trip to Coney Island via Brighton with the other one only as a (N) to 96 St as it sometimes shows up as a (Q) 

Edited by Calvin

22 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

They were running full service before without the R32s. The only reason they returned is because the R179s had to be pulled for those inspections.

before the pandemic hit around feb, there was about 48 R32's in active service and when the pandemic hit it was down to 32 with 2 sets being used. the whole point was to just have no spare factor and if an R46 broke down on the (C) and there was no gap train, they would force an (A) to go local.

this is something i'm against because now (A) riders have to help out over something that could be easily solved by keeping only a handful of R32's. It's understandable if its an emergency or if it's a very large gap in service but this would have been daily which would suck. We all know why the R32's were all of a sudden removed from service when they just spent millions SMS'ing 110 of them to keep until the R211's are in service.

so there was never going to be full 100% service, that's the reason why they were planned to keep the R32's until 2022.

6 hours ago, RedLine said:

The R46s are starting to have a lot of issues but they do not urgently need R32s until the C is back to normal.

This is why I took the current rumor with a grain of salt, because the (C) isn't 100% service yet. Jamaica imo should have enough for full (F) service for now since it isn't 100% CBTC yet. 

i wonder if Jamaica would need those 9 r160's when CBTC is in full swing, since CBTC you need increased spare factor. this is why the (L) has it as well as the (M) but ENY is more flexible since they can use those R143/160 spares on the (J)(Z) .

Edited by R32 3838

On 5/3/2021 at 5:56 AM, trainfan22 said:

:

As of now - 

the 6:42AM (W) out of Astoria hasn't run in a few days

the 8:33AM (W) train from Astoria to 86 St no longer runs

the 7:05AM (W) train put-in from 86 St to Astoria no longer runs

one (N) train (either the 7:57AM or the 8:07AM) hasn't run in a few days either

*northbound (W) trains in the AM Rush hour have not been coming consistently (now trains are coming about every 15-20 minutes, when the headways going uptown was every 8-10 minutes)

for the PM Rush, 

I don't think the 4:35PM (W) train from 86 St to Astoria runs anymore

*and this has been like this for at least a week or two on a daily basis

(W) train headways have been slipping during this rush hour too, with Ditmars Blvd trying to figure out on whether to maintain (N) service towards Brooklyn, or keeping the (W) headways more or less consistent for Astoria-bound trips, considering that after 6PM, several (N) trains are pulled from service to transition to the 12-minute mandated headway caused by sharing of the 4 Av Local track Manhattan bound for the work-train setup.

I wouldn't say this constitutes an en-masse drop-out of trips on the Broadway Line (non (R) trains), but it has started to get noticeable how rush hour service has been getting chipped away at. As for the (Q), there has been a bit more train bunching, but I cannot personally speak for the line, since I do not ride it regularly (since 2016).

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

for the PM Rush, 

(W) train headways have been slipping during this rush hour too, with Ditmars Blvd trying to figure out on whether to maintain (N) service towards Brooklyn, or keeping the (W) headways more or less consistent for Astoria-bound trips, considering that after 6PM, several (N) trains are pulled from service to transition to the 12-minute mandated headway caused by sharing of the 4 Av Local track Manhattan bound for the work-train setup.

It does, but sometimes, the train itself can leave earlier than the departure time. It's out of Coney Island Yard upon decision. 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

As of now - 

the 6:42AM (W) out of Astoria hasn't run in a few days

the 8:33AM (W) train from Astoria to 86 St no longer runs

the 7:05AM (W) train put-in from 86 St to Astoria no longer runs

one (N) train (either the 7:57AM or the 8:07AM) hasn't run in a few days either

*northbound (W) trains in the AM Rush hour have not been coming consistently (now trains are coming about every 15-20 minutes, when the headways going uptown was every 8-10 minutes)

for the PM Rush, 

I wouldn't say this constitutes an en-masse drop-out of trips on the Broadway Line (non (R) trains), but it has started to get noticeable how rush hour service has been getting chipped away at. As for the (Q), there has been a bit more train bunching, but I cannot personally speak for the line, since I do not ride it regularly (since 2016).

Do know if the blame could be placed on lack of t/o's and c/r's rather than blaming the R46?

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Do know if the blame could be placed on lack of t/o's and c/r's rather than blaming the R46?

I think at that point, the website would say "expect longer wait times for X and X trains. We are running as much service as we can with the crews we have available"

7 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think at that point, the website would say "expect longer wait times for X and X trains. We are running as much service as we can with the crews we have available"

That reminds, me I know there's a whole thread dedicated to it, but I'm kind of looking at a few job listings so I can't really be specific, but any idea when they might start putting out applications for Track Worker, Conductors, and/or Train Operator?

5 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

They were never gone from the (G) 

They were gone from the (G) from June 2011 until December 2019, when the swap started (except for brief periods in 2018 when station work at Court Sq reduced passenger space and required extra (G) service to operate in the mornings (shuttles from Bedford Nostrand Avs), Hurricane Sandy, and one other incident where several R68s were out of service due to a derailment)

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

They were gone from the (G) from June 2011 until December 2019, when the swap started (except for brief periods in 2018 when station work at Court Sq reduced passenger space and required extra (G) service to operate in the mornings (shuttles from Bedford Nostrand Avs), Hurricane Sandy, and one other incident where several R68s were out of service due to a derailment)

I know that. I was talking about ever since R46s came to Coney Island Yard.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 11:37 AM, Daniel The Cool said:

Hope this The R211 come this June here I think it will r211 will go (A) (I don't know what the A yard) A:R179 R211 (207 Street yard) ( all r179 on the C line go to ENY). C:R160 Siemens from Jamaica  yard R211 Or fully R211 E:Displace r160 Siemens to the C some r160 to Concourse to replace some r68 on the D E: r211  (Coney island G:4 cars or 5 Car R211   N Q W: r211 

I think this will happen 

A:R179 R211A/T

B:R68/A 

C:R179 R211A 

D:R68 

E: R211A/T

F:R160A/B

G:R160 Siemens R211 

J:R160A 1 R179 

L:R143 R160A1 R211A

M:R160A 1

N:R160A/B R211A

Q:R211A/T 

R:R160A/B

RS: R211A 

FS:R68/A 

W:R160A/B R211A 

Z:R160A 1 R179 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:06 AM, Jarobortiz said:

I think this will happen 

A:R179 R211A/T

B:R68/A 

C:R179 R211A 

D:R68 

E: R211A/T

F:R160A/B

G:R160 Siemens R211 

J:R160A 1 R179 

L:R143 R160A1 R211A

M:R160A 1

N:R160A/B R211A

Q:R211A/T 

R:R160A/B

RS: R211A 

FS:R68/A 

W:R160A/B R211A 

Z:R160A 1 R179 

You're not getting the point of all the people saying here, You're just saying random fleet on the lines when the R211 order ends. And those aren't gonna be possible since those are just certain predictions. The R211 won't stay like that. It isn't proven yet. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:35 PM, R32 3838 said:

before the pandemic hit around feb, there was about 48 R32's in active service and when the pandemic hit it was down to 32 with 2 sets being used. the whole point was to just have no spare factor and if an R46 broke down on the (C) and there was no gap train, they would force an (A) to go local.

this is something i'm against because now (A) riders have to help out over something that could be easily solved by keeping only a handful of R32's. It's understandable if its an emergency or if it's a very large gap in service but this would have been daily which would suck. We all know why the R32's were all of a sudden removed from service when they just spent millions SMS'ing 110 of them to keep until the R211's are in service.

so there was never going to be full 100% service, that's the reason why they were planned to keep the R32's until 2022.

This is why I took the current rumor with a grain of salt, because the (C) isn't 100% service yet. Jamaica imo should have enough for full (F) service for now since it isn't 100% CBTC yet. 

i wonder if Jamaica would need those 9 r160's when CBTC is in full swing, since CBTC you need increased spare factor. this is why the (L) has it as well as the (M) but ENY is more flexible since they can use those R143/160 spares on the (J)(Z) .

I feel like the (C) could use some extra R32's to help with service... even though the MTA said that C and F service would be restored soon, it still hasn't changed much...As a usual rider of the C line, i feel like 32's would be really useful during the rush hour periods of the day as to not stress them out too much and have breakdowns left and right

12 hours ago, ShortzYT said:

I feel like the (C) could use some extra R32's to help with service... even though the MTA said that C and F service would be restored soon, it still hasn't changed much...As a usual rider of the C line, i feel like 32's would be really useful during the rush hour periods of the day as to not stress them out too much and have breakdowns left and right

The (C) only has 1 put in while the rest of the fleet runs all day. IMO putting R32's back on the (C) would be a Bad idea. The (A)(J)(Z) are better choices since they have plenty of rush hour put ins.

So far the (C) hasn't gone full service yet if im correct, I know the (F) is full service though. the (C) is supposed to be by july for full service.

On 5/26/2021 at 1:59 AM, R32 3838 said:

The (C) only has 1 put in while the rest of the fleet runs all day. IMO putting R32's back on the (C) would be a Bad idea. The (A)(J)(Z) are better choices since they have plenty of rush hour put ins.

So far the (C) hasn't gone full service yet if im correct, I know the (F) is full service though. the (C) is supposed to be by july for full service.

I guess the A would be a prime pick considering the J/Z use R143's during rush and sometimes other points of the day. I'd probably send them to Lefferts though and leave the R46's and R179's to the rockaway branches

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

The R32s stored at Canarsie yard have been moved, 8 cars of R42s is now at Canarsie Yard instead. No idea where those R32s went nor why theres now R42s in the yard.

EDIT: the R32s were moved to 207th street yard.

they went to concourse yard.