Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, mine248 said:

Any emergency moves due to this? 

R179s are sidelined again while the MTA looks into this incident. More R46s and some more R143s on the (C) and (J) respectively.

There are already rumors going around saying the R32s returned to revenue service. This is not even close to confirmed at all and at this time no R32s are leaving retirement.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

R179s are sidelined again while the MTA looks into this incident. More R46s and some more R143s on the (C) and (J) respectively.

There are already rumors going around saying the R32s returned to revenue service. This is not even close to confirmed at all and at this time no R32s are leaving retirement.

Wait theres an R143 on the (C) ?

48 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I would argue the fleet's been on hold to begin with – if this isn't resolved by next week's reopening when capacity is needed, watch this space...

10 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

I would argue the fleet's been on hold to begin with – if this isn't resolved by next week's reopening when capacity is needed, watch this space...

The reopening may be pushed another week or so b.c of the riots happening all over including that curfew that was announced by Cuomo.  

Edited by Calvin
mentioned next week b.c mosts stores now have shattered glass and streets are vandalized

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The reopening may be pushed another week or so b.c of the riots happening all over including that curfew that was announced by Cuomo.  

Doubt it. Part of the reopening is to help end the curfew + riots. That's why the curfew is set to expire Sunday. If people are on the street, the empty streets that the looters are making use of won't exist. The last thing Cuomo and de Blasio want is another week of the city emptying after sunset.

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The reopening may be pushed another week or so b.c of the riots happening all over, (from that, curfew that was announced by Cuomo till the 7th).  

I thought the city is still on track to reopen on June 8th, despite all of this.

4 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The reopening may be pushed another week or so b.c of the riots happening all over, (from that, curfew that was announced by Cuomo till the 7th).  

It won't.

This does however leave the question if the R42's are going to come back out of retirement (for the 2nd time) to make service on the (J) and (Z) . Without the R179's the (J) can't run at full service, and going by the door issue a few months ago, the R179's won't return to service for a while until each set is inspected.

20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

It won't.

This does however leave the question if the R42's are going to come back out of retirement (for the 2nd time) to make service on the (J) and (Z) . Without the R179's the (J) can't run at full service, and going by the door issue a few months ago, the R179's won't return to service for a while until each set is inspected.

I'd bet on the 32s before the 42s, honestly. But we'll see what they need to make service.

They're gonna need the R32's for full service next week, both r32's and R42's will be needed because a portion (don't know how many) are stripped for parts.

all Hell is gonna break loose. the (MTA) are retards, never should have Retired the R32's yet.

2 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

They're gonna need the R32's for full service next week, both r32's and R42's will be needed because a portion (don't know how many) are stripped for parts.

all Hell is gonna break loose. the (MTA) are retards, never should have Retired the R32's yet.

You been saying it for the longest, you were correct. We’re kicking ourselves in the ass right now. Plans for R42’s are in the works and the R32’s I haven’t heard anything about them returning yet. 

Just now, VIP said:

You been saying it for the longest, you were correct. We’re kicking ourselves in the ass right now. Plans for R42’s are in the works and the R32’s I haven’t heard anything about them returning yet. 

R32's gonna return but it probably be about 140-150 cars. I don't know how many were stripped but i know it was a small portion.

5 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

Can we at least wait until next week? For all we know just like the door issues the MTA can say they "fixed the R179s" and no R32s would even come out. 

Plenty of time to do inspections between now and next week no matter how "impossible" it seems to be.

(I say "Fixed" because they put the R179s back on the road within a month or so and supposedly there were still a couple reports)

Edited by MysteriousBtrain
Typo, said week instead of month

1 minute ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Can we at least wait until next week? For all we know just like the door issues the MTA can say they "fixed the R179s" and no R32s would even come out. 

Plenty of time to do inspections between now and next week no matter how "impossible" it seems to be.

(I say "Fixed" because they put the R179s back on the road within a month or so and supposedly there were still a couple reports)

they broke apart in the middle of service, that's alot worse than the door problem and even after the door problem they still had issues that (MTA) covered up just to put them back into service. Byford is laughing his ass off right now in the UK.

and with everything going on right now its gonna take longer. with the (B)(W) OOS the (A)(C) can use the R46/68's until next week. the (J) is the only line that might need extra cars since its an 8 car line.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

they broke apart in the middle of service, that's alot worse than the door problem and even after the door problem they still had issues that (MTA) covered up just to put them back into service. Byford is laughing his ass off right now in the UK.

and with everything going on right now its gonna take longer. with the (B)(W) OOS the (A)(C) can use the R46/68's until next week. the (J) is the only line that might need extra cars since its an 8 car line.

With the (B) OOS they may use concourse R68’s and spare 68A’s to cover (A) and (C) service But the (J) may have to dip into Canarsie’s spare R143’s 

I’m appalled by some of the recent comments about New York City and the reopening. The operative word is Phased. Now go back and look at what Phase 1 is about. New York City is not reopening for business as usual. Reading is fundamental. There are four distinct phases to complete before the City is opened up completely. We are still at the beginning stage and hopefully we haven’t been set back by the recent events. That’s what I’ve been reading and heard from the Governor. My take. Carry on.

5 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I’m appalled by some of the recent comments about New York City and the reopening. The operative word is Phased. Now go back and look at what Phase 1 is about. New York City is not reopening for business as usual. Reading is fundamental. There are four distinct phases to complete before the City is opened up completely. We are still at the beginning stage and hopefully we haven’t been set back by the recent events. That’s what I’ve been reading and heard from the Governor. My take. Carry on.

full service is supposed to start when Phase I is started, they don't want to risk people being crushed loaded into subway cars like late march.

47 minutes ago, VIP said:

With the (B) OOS they may use concourse R68’s and spare 68A’s to cover (A) and (C) service But the (J) may have to dip into Canarsie’s spare R143’s 

My understanding is that Concourse R68's are for the (D), while the (B) is based at Coney Island Yard.  It is possible that the (D) could be using the Coney Island fleet while some of the Concourse fleet goes to the (A)(C).  Hopefully someone is able to get video of the swap if it does in fact happen.

33 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

full service is supposed to start when Phase I is started, they don't want to risk people being crushed loaded into subway cars like late march.

Wasn’t 24/7 considered full service 6 months ago. That’s my point. So far from what I’ve seen the LIRR is just adding cars to increase train lengths for social distance reasons. Why wouldn’t NYCT just run more trains? It would accomplish the same thing. The new definition of full service? My take. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5