Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The (5) to Nereid Av, during PM rush hours, it's scheduled to head there on select trains. However, there are people that think they can get a one-seat ride making stops on the (2) between E.180 St to 238 St (on the Nereid 5 trains). It changes to Gun Hill RD as the last stop at E.180 St to avoid congestion with the (2) line forcing customers to get on the crowded (2) train instead or wait another 5-10 mins. 

Might start a new thread for this. I think it's worthy of a discussion for various reasons. Nereid Av also should have been built as an express station rather than a local station from the very beginning. And yes, those Nereid (5) trains can delay the (2) behind them since fumigation takes five minutes or more, and scheduling on both lines is poor, among other things.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

you should read people complain below the tweet about the R46s and Astoria Residents are pissed.

Damn man, we got a punk ass society. New York had to deal with the 70s and 80s with graffiti, filthyness and neglect. Now in 2020, we got brothers raising hell over some LCD signs.

N

You don't have to like the R46. But trust me people had Real complaints back in the day. Not nitpicking every malfunctioning LCD sign. 

Edited by Q23 via 108

1 hour ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Damn man, we got a punk ass society. New York had to deal with the 70s and 80s with graffiti, filthyness and neglect. Now in 2020, we got brothers raising hell over some LCD signs.

N

You don't have to like the R46. But trust me people had Real complaints back in the day. Not nitpicking every malfunctioning LCD sign. 

They will never have an idea of the system at that time in the 80's...Foamers today would be scared of the system back then...I mean SCARED...:lol:

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

They will never have an idea of the system at that time in the 80's...Foamers today would be scared of the system back then...I mean SCARED...:lol:

Thank You. We went from the worst system to a fully functioning system that has problems, but is doing way  better than the 1980s. We don't have to worry about flickering lights, Lots of violence, very filthy, and unsafe conditions anymore. But Some LCD that don't work? Come on man. 90% of (N) riders know where the train is going. Its either going to Astoria or to Brooklyn. If the LCDs are messed up. Look at the map, or better yet their damn phones and look where its going. These new rail fans (2010 and up) don't know how to act when they see a different car type on a line. Back in the days, most subway lines had more than one car type running on the same line. But now when a swap happens, they want to sue the MTA? Get out of here. A city as tough as New York, we made through the worst of the 70s and 80s. These new generations think they should have the latest and greatest, but fail to realize that in the 80s, you'd be lucky to ride a train that was clean ON THE INSIDE, not even the outside.

If TEMPORARILY moving R46s to (N)means better (E) (F) (M) (R) service (which will help way more people). Hell yeah the swap should happen. The same with the (6). The R142As to the (7) (which is one of the most busiest lines) helps the Flushing Line run better. But all these kids see is that their Automated Announcements and Blue seats go away, and complain to MTA that the R46s are falling apart and that service is terrible. 

Falling apart? Did you forget the rusty brown roofs on the R38s, R40M/R42s. Did you forget the Frame rotting R44s. That's falling apart. Some R46s at there worst are dirty on the exterior with broken LCDs. But falling apart?

My rant is over but damn man, this why I like the older members here because they keep it real and see things from the bigger picture. While younger fans lose their cool when a swap happens and nitpick literally everything. Let's see what ridiculous comments we'll hear next.🤦‍♂️

Edited by Q23 via 108

15 hours ago, SubwayFan3000 said:

I Can't wait for R211s to come around Q3/Q4 of this year or Q1 of next year, MTA should be ashamed of themselves by playing psychological/emotional warfare and game to commuters in Second Avenue/Astoria/Broadway and Sea Beach Line.

Man, give it a rest already! You’ve been bombarding this thread with the same complaint like ten times in the past two days saying that same nonsense about how the “MTA lied to us,” and “the MTA tricked us.” Please! Just give it a rest. Nobody tricked you and definitely nobody’s playing “psychological warfare” (whatever that is) on you. The fact is, the R46s have to run somewhere. It is too expensive to retrofit the R46s with the necessary components needed to interact with the Queens Blvd CBTC system. And since they’ll be on their way out in the next few years, why bother? Meanwhile the R160s and newer cars, which will be in service for years to come, were designed to be retrofitted with CBTC right from the start. 

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I think "I will sue the MTA" and this comment win comment of the year, and it's not even March yet 😂😂

Wasn’t there a poster on here not too long ago who said they were going to sue the MTA if they deinterlined the (2)(3)(4)(5) in Brooklyn?

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

There is no point in arguing with him, because he is just your angry foamer that is upset that his favorite trains are being moved off his lines. His reasons don't make sense either. Back before the R160's came to the N,Q and W lines, all the trains that use to operate on those lines were R40s, R42s and R68s. The R46's in 2020 still have a much higher MDBF than the R40s and R42s did before they got replaced over 10 years ago but of course the R46s are so problematic and they cause delays. They are older now than the R40s and R42s that got retired about 10-14 years ago and the R46s still are doing alright. Then he shows that tweet about a train being taken out of service due to mechanical problems but I was on a R160 (M) very recently that had to be taken out of service because of an issue with the doors. Issues like that occur all the time on lines with NTT's so I don't really know what he is trying to prove. With some people you just can't argue with them, you just have to let them look foolish.

Yep, this whole thing about the R46s “completely falling apart“ is just plain ridiculous. The side LCDs do have problems, yes. And they’ve had them for years. But the cars themselves still run fine, especially on those express runs. And they ride more comfortably than the newer R62 and R68 cars and look nicer on the inside too. And I’m glad to hear the R46s’ MDBF is much higher than that of the R40 and 42 cars at this stage of their service lives. They’ve come a long way since the days of the cracked Rockwell bogies that sidelined them 40 years ago. 

13 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Coney Island is definitely (slowly) fixing those side signs and giving the R46s some much needed TLC.

5840's sign was busted last week, got that car today and both signs work. I also notice that most cars are a much more smoother ride and they don't make that annoying squeaking noise like they did at Jamaica.

Okay, I’m glad to hear they’re doing that. I did manage to see a southbound R46 (W) at Times Square yesterday, where the signs worked properly on all eight cars (well, at least on the platform side), albeit with different variations of “ (W) Broadway Local.” Though earlier, I also saw a southbound R46 (N) at Canal, where none of the cars had working signs (I only saw the off-side signs, since I was standing on the northbound platform). I did email the MTA about it. But I’ll keep an eye out.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

4 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

N

Peep that extremely rare destination rollsign on the R27/R30. That's a late 70s roll in Akzidenz/Condensed, like the kind that IRT cars got. Dates to 1977/1978, almost instantly defunct by the early 1980s when the regular destination roll was mass produced. "No Passengers" would have been black on white. Never seen a B division one still around today,

@T to Dyre Avenue, yeah just keep emailing the (MTA) about the issue. It won’t hurt. I remember riding an R32 (A) back downtown from fanning only to discover mid-route that only half of the train had the south sides displaying Far Rockaway and the rest Lefferts Blvd (the train was actually going to the former terminal, and there was a Lefferts Blvd-bound train immediately right behind). I informed the C/R about it in the middle of the train even though they didn’t have time to do so since they were running on a tight schedule and the train was already mid-route. Customers were confused as well, including JFK goers.

Unlike that kid who spammed the forums, at least you and I are actually helping the (MTA) gradually getting everything together.

2 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Thank You. We went from the worst system to a fully functioning system that has problems, but is doing way  better than the 1980s. We don't have to worry about flickering lights, Lots of violence, very filthy, and unsafe conditions anymore. But Some LCD that don't work? Come on man. 90% of (N) riders know where the train is going. Its either going to Astoria or to Brooklyn. If the LCDs are messed up. Look at the map, or better yet their damn phones and look where its going. These new rail fans (2010 and up) don't know how to act when they see a different car type on a line. Back in the days, most subway lines had more than one car type running on the same line. But now when a swap happens, they want to sue the MTA? Get out of here. A city as tough as New York, we made through the worst of the 70s and 80s. These new generations think they should have the latest and greatest, but fail to realize that in the 80s, you'd be lucky to ride a train that was clean ON THE INSIDE, not even the outside.

If TEMPORARILY moving R46s to (N)means better (E) (F) (M) (R) service (which will help way more people). Hell yeah the swap should happen. The same with the (6). The R142As to the (7) (which is one of the most busiest lines) helps the Flushing Line run better. But all these kids see is that their Automated Announcements and Blue seats go away, and complain to MTA that the R46s are falling apart and that service is terrible. 

Falling apart? Did you forget the rusty brown roofs on the R38s, R40M/R42s. Did you forget the Frame rotting R44s. That's falling apart. Some R46s at there worst are dirty on the exterior with broken LCDs. But falling apart?

My rant is over but damn man, this why I like the older members here because they keep it real and see things from the bigger picture. While younger fans lose their cool when a swap happens and nitpick literally everything. Let's see what ridiculous comments we'll hear next.🤦‍♂️

Not to sound rude (and I apologize to those who may find this offensive or rude):

Making one line PORTION better by making another entire trunk / line worse overall does not equal progress. It's like saying Peter Pan stole from the rich, but kept the money for himself so that the poor and the rich would be more or less equal. Peter Pan (one person keeps the riches) but everyone else is broke. Anyways, please carry on everyone. Its fun to see such diversity of opinions (and to see that I'm not the only one who has a particular opinion)

14 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Most of the daily riders already know the trains they take everyday even if the signs are messed up. As long as the trains are moving and taking them to their destinations is what they care most about.

Not entirely true. Remember, most of the B Division has only one countdown clock on the platforms compared to the (L) and the A Division (well I dunno about the (7) though). And when it comes to the (A), you won’t really know for sure where the train is going after Rockaway Blvd if the LCD signs on the R46s are messed up, displaying the wrong information, or not working at all. The PAs on the older cars (and the NTTs as well) are not always clear enough to hear either. The (A) is a very important line due to its branching nature (which I’ll admit is not acceptable for such a designed service type of pattern).

So in general, there are some exceptions.

13 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Not to sound rude (and I apologize to those who may find this offensive or rude):

Making one line PORTION better by making another entire trunk / line worse overall does not equal progress. It's like saying Peter Pan stole from the rich, but kept the money for himself so that the poor and the rich would be more or less equal. Peter Pan (one person keeps the riches) but everyone else is broke. Anyways, please carry on everyone. Its fun to see such diversity of opinions (and to see that I'm not the only one who has a particular opinion)

While you have a point about the other end of the swap, the train receiving the older trains is just that. Older trains do mean more breaking down and some confusion. But service is still the same. The (6) with R62As are just as frequent as when the R142As were on the line. I can say that because I take the (6) regularly to Cypress Av and train service is practically the same. Now as far the (N) in Brooklyn and Astoria, I don't know. But I'm sure that with no delays, the (N) would run close to what it was running, maybe a few minutes more. But not to the point where a line gets drastically worse.

I’m not privy to the (MTA) inside info because, quite frankly, it doesn’t interest me at all. I have read the previous posts about CBTC and the equipment swaps and it’s obvious to me that the agency is working towards a goal. Some people have pointed out that many of these steps are temporary. Pick up your dictionary if you don’t know what temporary means. I’ve worked on the frontlines when fleet swaps were done midday between the (2) and the (5) in Livonia yard. Some of us employees weren’t happy campers. Same thing happened when the terminal swaps happened in the Brooklyn IRT. People on the New Lots line got some shiny new cars while Flatbush got the hand me down stuff. IMO the Flatbush Avenue (2) riders made out better because they got a 10 car train . The latter equipment swap between the (2) and (5) was in the lead up to the NTT where my (5) line got the older (2) equipment. In the end it worked out for all involved. The swaps, CBTC, have to be coordinated by Car Equipment, Signals, and RTO to make things work. Maintenance shops have to be stocked with the proper equipment for the different car fleets and such. I don’t know for sure but I do hope that there’s more going on behind the scenes. Just my observation. Carry on.

19 minutes ago, 4CNRailfan said:

Any news on car swaps as of late? I've been seeing that R46s & R68/A have been appearing on the (Q) more often than not lately... 

so far as of this week:

-the (F) is pretty much 100% NTT at this point (very slim chance to catch an R46 on it now)

-the (R) is about half 46s and half 160s

-the (N)(W) as others stated are mostly R46/R68 tho theres still a few R160s that remain

-the 46s and 68s on the (Q) will eventually become permanent when more 160s head over to jamaica 

other news:

-a few R46s have started reappearing on the (C), but only about 1-3 sets of R32s on the (A) as of late

-several retired/mothballed R32s sitting in 207, R42s are all retired/OOS 

24 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

so far as of this week:

-the (F) is pretty much 100% NTT at this point (very slim chance to catch an R46 on it now)

-the (N)(W) as others stated are mostly R46/R68 tho theres still a few R160s that remain

-the 46s and 68s on the (Q) will eventually become permanent when more 160s head over to jamaica 

other news:

-a few R46s have started reappearing on the (C), but only about 1-3 sets of R32s on the (A) as of late

Which station is better to see the retired cars awaiting scrapping; 207th or 215th?

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

so far as of this week:

other news:

Are there any Alstom R160s that remain on the (N)(Q)(W) ?

Where exactly in 207th Street (I’ve never been there before, I’ve only up to 181st Street on the (A) ) ?

12 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

N

R32 (N) Train In 1990s

Edited by Richard Lewis 1

1 hour ago, Snorunts said:

Are there any Alstom R160s that remain on the (N)(Q)(W) ?

Where exactly in 207th Street (I’ve never been there before, I’ve only up to 181st Street on the (A) ) ?

Currently, all 2 sets were spotted going to Manhattan on the (Q) . 

207 on the (A) : It's the yard outside of the 207 St station on the (1) line and next to the Bx12 bus stop to Inwood. 

BTW the Fox is now 100 percent R160's operated 8803 and 8712 myself yesterday...

Also 8653 is out there on the Fox also..

One Siemens set i spotted also 89 something also on the Fox they are saving those sets for as long as possible..

Eventually they'll become the Korridors Property as well only a matter of time...

Edited by RTOMan

11 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

BTW the Fox is now 100 percent R160's operated 8803 and 8712 myself yesterday...

Also 8653 is out there on the Fox also..

One Siemens set i spotted also 89 something also on the Fox they are saving those sets for as long as possible..

Eventually they'll become the Korridors Property as well only a matter of time...

What does that means RTO Man....FOX???

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

What does that means RTO Man....FOX???

The (F) Line. “Fox” is nato code for “F”

Some examples:

Alpha or Apple = (A) 

Bravo = (B) 

Charlie = (C) 

Delta = (D) 

Echo = (E) 

Fox or “Foxtrot” = (F) 

Gulf or George = (G)