LIRR/MNCR Mobile Ticketing System

lirr42

The LIRR and the Metro-North will ask the MTA Board Wednesday to award a $2 million contract to Masabi to develop and implement a mobile ticketing system for the LIRR and Metro-North:

At today's combined LIRR and Metro-North MTA Board Committee Meeting, the LIRR will advance a $2 million service contract to Masabi, LLC to develop and deploy a mobile ticketing system for use on LIRR and Metro-North trains (the contract will be officially awarded at Wednesday's MTA Board Meeting).  This new system will allow LIRR and Metro-North passengers to purchase and display tickets on their mobile phones while onboard trains, much like NJTransit's MyTix system...

The vendor of the Mobile Ticketing system will provide a mobile app for passengers to use on their phones, ticket validation software for train crews to use to inspect and verify tickets, and a host server that will support both railroads' systems.  The vendor will also come up with an online web portal system to allow passengers to purchase tickets on their computers and print them out, however this feature will be implemented at the railroad's discretion and many not be rolled out at the same time as the mobile ticketing app...

Masabi is a proven vendor who has successfully rolled out mobile ticketing systems to several railroads in the United States and in Europe, including MBCR in Boston.  I have never used the mobile ticketing system on the MBCR, but from what I've seen and read online, it seems to be a pretty good system for what is was designed to do...

With Masabi's track record of implementing mobile ticketing systems fairly quickly it hopefully won't be long until we see mobile ticketing hit Metro-North and LIRR trains.  If they can match the deployment schedule they did for MBCR, 29 weeks would bring us to mid-November of this year.  Masabi is also on-target to complete NICE's mobile ticketing rollout in about six months or so,  and that would also bring us into early November.  Knowing the MTA, there's bound to be a couple hiccups along the way, but it would not be unreasonable to expect a pretty well rolled out mobile ticketing system on LIRR and Metro-North trains by early next year.   It will be interesting to see how the deployment goes; hopefully it goes smoothly!

Read more here: LIRR Awards Mobile Ticketing Contract to Masabi

It's about time... What's really annoying is if you need to purchase tickets on the New Haven Line, but you're currently on the Harlem or Hudson Line.  Unless you're at Grand Central or maybe the Harlem 125th street station, you can only get tickets for the rail lines which you're traveling on.  I have to believe that the (MTA) can't be that oblivious to the fact that people do transfer a lot from line to another due to the way in which the rail lines are set up, especially the Harlem and New Haven Lines.  I transfer between the Hudson, New Haven and Harlem Lines lines a lot, and this would alleviate a big hassle of having to buy a bunch of tickets in advance at GCT.  Yesterday I was traveling on the New Haven Line and when the ticket collector came, I had so many tickets, he must've been wondering if I lived on the Metro-North trains.  :lol:

I have to believe that the (MTA) can't be that oblivious to the fact that people do transfer a lot from line to another due to the way in which the rail lines are set up, especially the Harlem and New Haven Lines.

Yesterday I was traveling on the New Haven Line and when the ticket collector came, I had so many tickets, he must've been wondering if I lived on the Metro-North trains.  :lol:

This has been discussed before.  It's not an MTA thing, it's a CDOT thing.  And before you say I'm defending the MTA, I'm not.  Just placing blame on the responsible party.

You're not the only one with a lot of tickets.  It happens quite often.

This has been discussed before.  It's not an MTA thing, it's a CDOT thing.  And before you say I'm defending the MTA, I'm not.  Just placing blame on the responsible party.

You're not the only one with a lot of tickets.  It happens quite often.

And how exactly does it effect with ticket distribution? If I'm not the only one with a lot of tickets, why the look then?  

Why look?  Why look at what?  Look to make sure I get a ticket that's not expired?  Right ticket for the intended destination? 

I'm not the one that tells people to collect a stack of tickets that is thicker than a deck of cards (ok, that is exaggerating).  I can't take any ticket that's given to me either.  This is what spotters do.  They'll give me a ticket that's either expired or try to use a New Haven Line ticket on the Harlem Line.  If I take one from a spotter then I become the subject of an investigation, then have to go to a hearing, then get time. 

Do I think the rules are silly?  Absolutely!  Especially when I'm given a Mt Vernon East ticket for someone that wants to go to Mt Vernon West.  Even though they are the same cost it's academic.  I don't make up the rules.  If I chose not to follow the rules and get caught then I get in trouble.  I prefer not to get in trouble when a passenger can't get his or her act together (or spotter). 

This will be nice when I have to run onto a train and don't have time to buy a ticket. No more on board purchase price for me mwahaha!

I don't understand why anyone ever pays the onboard surcharge to begin with when you can just get a Family Fare ticket to keep in your wallet/with your phone and step it up on the train.

Why look?  Why look at what?  Look to make sure I get a ticket that's not expired?  Right ticket for the intended destination? 

I'm not the one that tells people to collect a stack of tickets that is thicker than a deck of cards (ok, that is exaggerating).  I can't take any ticket that's given to me either.  This is what spotters do.  They'll give me a ticket that's either expired or try to use a New Haven Line ticket on the Harlem Line.  If I take one from a spotter then I become the subject of an investigation, then have to go to a hearing, then get time. 

Do I think the rules are silly?  Absolutely!  Especially when I'm given a Mt Vernon East ticket for someone that wants to go to Mt Vernon West.  Even though they are the same cost it's academic.  I don't make up the rules.  If I chose not to follow the rules and get caught then I get in trouble.  I prefer not to get in trouble when a passenger can't get his or her act together (or spotter). 

No, I said why the look? He looked at me like I was crazy for having so many tickets.

I don't understand why anyone ever pays the onboard surcharge to begin with when you can just get a Family Fare ticket to keep in your wallet/with your phone and step it up on the train.

Ummm who is going to do that?? Most people just buy tickets as they need them.  I only buy about a week in advance so that I don't forget about the tickets and they go to waste.  

MNR does not allow stepping up a family fare ticket unless it's a child riding on a morning inbound peak.  They can be stepped up to a peak child ticket.  A family fare is not a valid ticket for an adult.  Same thing with the senors that buy seniors.

No, I said why the look? He looked at me like I was crazy for having so many tickets.

Ummm who is going to do that?? Most people just buy tickets as they need them.  I only buy about a week in advance so that I don't forget about the tickets and they go to waste.  

My misunderstanding.  Not sure what "look" you get but from our point of view it's frustrating when a passenger has to go through every pocket, divider in wallet, and bag to find their ticket.  Then when they find "the stack"  it take a few more minutes to go through the ones that are expired.

I take the train very infrequently. I've never even heard of a Family Fare ticket. What is it? How long does it last until it expires?

A family fare ticket is a children's (5-11 yrs) ticket that costs $1.  It allows up to four children to travel with one adult (18+ yrs) on all trains with the exception of morning inbound peak Metro North trains. 

I'm not sure of the restrictions on LIRR.

A family fare ticket is a children's (5-11 yrs) ticket that costs $1.  It allows up to four children to travel with one adult (18+ yrs) on all trains with the exception of morning inbound peak Metro North trains. 

I'm not sure of the restrictions on LIRR.

Thanks. As a childless male in my upper 20's, somehow I doubt I'd get away with using that ticket lol. 

Avoids the issue of the credit card fiasco at the TVMs too

Very true... They just need to make sure that the online system is safe.  We need it for the express bus esp. because God forbid I forget to reload in the city.... The one store in Riverdale that carries the Express Bus Plus is always out...  <_<

I'm curious to know how this will impact conductors when clearing busier peak-hour trains. "Please have all tickets, digital or printed, ready for inspection."

I'm hoping that tickets are stored offline--I barely get any data connection in GCT.

I'm hoping that tickets are stored offline--I barely get any data connection in GCT.

Yeah isn't it crazy that you still can't get signal in GCT?  With all of the "hotspots" that they're putting in, I would've thought GCT would have signal throughout.  I usually don't get any signal until we're well outside and near the 125th street station.

Yeah isn't it crazy that you still can't get signal in GCT?  With all of the "hotspots" that they're putting in, I would've thought GCT would have signal throughout.  I usually don't get any signal until we're well outside and near the 125th street station.

Haha. If I'm desperate, I'll stand by the Apple Store and siphon from their wi-fi signal. I have sprint and have a similar issue. I sometimes have to kick my phone in and out of airplane mode for it to look for LTE service around 125th, otherwise I'm stuck with that tacky 3G.

There is work in progress to wire the tunnel for wifi.

I was tempted to ask this, but I thought I was confusing this with the subway antenna build-out happening. Now there will be no excuses when all is said and done.

I cannot wait for this feature. I am usually on the first train in the morning and I hate having to get up even earlier to get a new 10-trip or monthly.

Now only if that tap-and-pay feature would make it's way onto MTA transit...(one can dream)

Haha. If I'm desperate, I'll stand by the Apple Store and siphon from their wi-fi signal. I have sprint and have a similar issue. I sometimes have to kick my phone in and out of airplane mode for it to look for LTE service around 125th, otherwise I'm stuck with that tacky 3G.

I was tempted to ask this, but I thought I was confusing this with the subway antenna build-out happening. Now there will be no excuses when all is said and done.

I cannot wait for this feature. I am usually on the first train in the morning and I hate having to get up even earlier to get a new 10-trip or monthly.

Now only if that tap-and-pay feature would make it's way onto MTA transit...(one can dream)

Not only that but some stations like Fordham are pretty ghetto and I don't like having to pull out my wallet in front of those vultures.  Aside from the Fordham students, the rest of the folks are generally pretty ghetto.

Archived