R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is.With the R142A being converted at 207th st,will the (MTA) Put a rebuilder plate to replace Kawasaki`s,like they did back during the GOH (1985-1992)?

The builder plate is going to be the same since Kawasaki is doing the conversion, also the rebuilder plate only applies to the companies that when bankrupt and doesn't supplies the parts for the trains.

Anyone are on the lookout for the R188 being transported to Corona in the late night hours since May is near.

The builder plate is going to be the same since Kawasaki is doing the conversion, also the rebuilder plate only applies to the companies that when bankrupt and doesn't supplies the parts for the trains.

Anyone are on the lookout for the R188 being transported to Corona in the late night hours since May is near.

Yea they're probably moving there now were getting closer and closer to when they start tho your best bet to look for one would probably be early May.

One thing which keeps on entertaining me is this idea of parts being discontinued being a reason for retirement/rebuilding/builder not being around/etc

Lots of parts from the R160 have been discontinued. A number of R32 parts are still available. "parts" is meaningless. NYCT manufactures many of their own parts. NYCT has ordered replacements for parts from competitors, even when the original product is still available. During GOH the parent companies of each car builder of a GOH'ed class (with the exception of Pullman) were still around.  

I didn't know they had a test track on that property  :o

Always thought these subway cars didn't actually start running until they got to the subway system

Those 188s was moving pretty fast too.

They still have a PA-5 in there? Wtf? I thought they were done with them...

Be on the lookout now, its May. I think they're done testing in the Bronx, I went out there today to check and they didn't bring them out to test them.

They still have a PA-5 in there? Wtf? I thought they were done with them...

Be on the lookout now, its May. I think they're done testing in the Bronx, I went out there today to check and they didn't bring them out to test them.

Those PA5's there might have been damaged in Hurricane Sandy, might have had to send them to back to get repaired.

I didn't know they had a test track on that property  :o

Always thought these subway cars didn't actually start running until they got to the subway system

Those 188s was moving pretty fast too.

That is where I've taken a few pix (check this post). I saw a clip about Kawasaki on the ch7 news today. It's funny how they say ONLY their cameras were let in, but News12 Westchester did a piece there about two weeks ago, sorry ABC you're late! Before the 188s, the M8s and PATH cars used to be on those tracks all the time. Have to see where I have those pix at...

I've been checking Corona Yard almost Daily now Since May 1, remember that the R188 can be transferred at any time. Look what happened to 2141-2145 when it got transferred back from the (6) to the (7) , they did it in the middle of Rush hour. 

PA5? Not to be off topic, but is PATH getting more?

Heard they might've bought an option and they might even order a new class of cars when CBTC inplementation gets closer.

They exercised an option for 10 cab cars a couple years back, and have since received them. Old documentation states that they did plan on acquiring about an additional 110 or so cars, but not order has been placed as of yet. I surmise that an order will materialize once the installation nears completion.

I just came back from the Bronx to see if the R188 7811-7821 is at the yard or not, I think that set was probably doing last minute testing before being sent to the Corona Yard. Maybe they are doing the transfer in the weekend or the following weeks at late night hours.

Edited by Woodside7878