R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know why R142As 7481-7485 are testing on the Dyre Ave Line?

aren't they being housed at 180th or 239? Dyre would be the closest non revenue track to test on. especially with the Broad Channel Flats' test track ojt of commision untill the summer.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

Here's where manufactured R188s currently are:

Corona Yard:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7211-7215

Unionport/E180 St. Yards

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7216-7220, 7899

R188 New Cars: 7811-7826

Location Unknown:

R188 New Cars - base order: 7827-7832

R188 New Cars - option order: 7833-7854

Please add some spottings if you see any R188s, and I will try to post an update soon!

Here's where manufactured R188s currently are:

Corona Yard:

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7211-7215

Unionport/E180 St. Yards

R142A Conversions/C-cars: 7216-7220, 7899

R188 New Cars: 7811-7826

Location Unknown:

R188 New Cars - base order: 7827-7832

R188 New Cars - option order: 7833-7854

Please add some spottings if you see any R188s, and I will try to post an update soon!

just what i needed to see now XD heading out to that area later today to see if i can catch some testing action. will report my findings later tonight

So no testing that I know of was spotted today, but I did see cars 7822-7826 + 78xx-7821 parked at 180th Street Yard. I also came across this video just now which is also in the Photos and Videos section:

Nice to know that the new sets use the same propulsion and hence sound exactly the same as the old ones.

So no testing that I know of was spotted today, but I did see cars 7822-7826 + 78xx-7821 parked at 180th Street Yard. I also came across this video just now which is also in the Photos and Videos section:

Nice to know that the new sets use the same propulsion and hence sound exactly the same as the old ones.

I was actually surprised that they do, since this propulsion isn't manufactured anymore!!

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave

I was actually surprised that they do, since this propulsion isn't manufactured anymore!!

I'm quite disappointed they didn't go with an all-new propulsion system. The MITRAC they had on the R142A on (6) / <6> is ass. Bucking galore every time the damn things accelerate.

Edited by Culver

I'm quite disappointed they didn't go with an all-new propulsion system. The MITRAC they had on the R142A on (6) / <6> is ass. Bucking galore every time the damn things accelerate.

Because it would either require replacing all the motors in every unit, or would create maintenance hell in Corona Yard, with 2 sets of spare parts, one for MITRAC, other for the other system. It wouldn't be worth it.

I'm quite disappointed they didn't go with an all-new propulsion system. The MITRAC they had on the R142A on (6) / <6> is ass. Bucking galore every time the damn things accelerate.Because it would either require replacing all the motors in every unit, or would create maintenance hell in Corona Yard, with 2 sets of spare parts, one for MITRAC, other for the other system. It wouldn't be worth it.

That and we already know that the ALSTOM and this propulsion aren't compatible. That goes that idea.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

From what I understand that new C car is UNPOWERED. I don't know what they will do about the brand-new sets though, they probably won't have the MITRAC since it isn't made anymore. There's a good chance they'll be able to run them together with the converted sets, like they can and have run the R160 Alstom and Siemens sets together.

Whoops, realized that was a new set. Very interesting how they were able to bring that propulsion back, makes me wonder if they'll bring it back for the 179s as well.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

From what I understand that new C car is UNPOWERED. I don't know what they will do about the brand-new sets though, they probably won't have the MITRAC since it isn't made anymore. There's a good chance they'll be able to run them together with the converted sets, like they can and have run the R160 Alstom and Siemens sets together.

Whoops, realized that was a new set. Very interesting how they were able to bring that propulsion back, makes me wonder if they'll bring it back for the 179s as well.

I doubt they'll for that for the R179s. It's a completely new fleet that doesn't need to be compatible with any other fleet.

Doubt it. As much as I would love for that to happen, the only reason these guys have it is because it would cost too much to rip out the propulsion for over 400 cars and put in new ones.