R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rumor has it that the C car is in Corona's barn.

Can anyone confirm this please? I like facts. LOL

I don't think the C car is in the barn, if the C car was in the barn someone would have confirmed it (someone from the TA) but you never know the TA does like to hide things

They have. The first trains will be made up of one car inserts. All R142A's with one R188, to make a converted 188. All a 188 is is a 142A with CBTC.

A pure R188 is a brand new car, not a conversion. And how can a whole train be inserts? The C cars aka Pure 188s are the inserts. Then there are the brand new R188 trains as well.

I don't really think there will be any full 11 cars trainsets of R188s made for TA. I think they will be R142As from the 6 line, with a CBTC compatible B car added to make 11 cars. People here sound as if they want to see a brand spanking new full 11 car train on the 7 line. As the pics I took show, the R188 will be both converted R142A, just renamed, and another CBTC compatible B car added, to make 11 cars. I don't think it will be nothing more, or nothing less. Hopefully they replaced those traction motors from the formerly named R142A cars, that are becoming the R188s, since WES yard didn't seem to care if the worked or not.........

So:

There are R188C cars as the locos?

R142B/R188B Cars as the passenger cars?

R188/R142 Cars as the conductor's cars?

How do they do it?

I think it's 2 a-cars as the cab cars, 3 b-cars in between those, and 1 c-car in between all that somewhere. A-C-B-B-B-A, perhaps...

I don't really think there will be any full 11 cars trainsets of R188s made for TA. I think they will be R142As from the 6 line, with a CBTC compatible B car added to make 11 cars. People here sound as if they want to see a brand spanking new full 11 car train on the 7 line. As the pics I took show, the R188 will be both converted R142A, just renamed, and another CBTC compatible B car added, to make 11 cars. I don't think it will be nothing more, or nothing less. Hopefully they replaced those traction motors from the formerly named R142A cars, that are becoming the R188s, since WES yard didn't seem to care if the worked or not.........

In the base order there will be 2 new pure R188 trains. How many will be in the option, I have forgotten.

Guest lance25
I don't really think there will be any full 11 cars trainsets of R188s made for TA. I think they will be R142As from the 6 line, with a CBTC compatible B car added to make 11 cars. People here sound as if they want to see a brand spanking new full 11 car train on the 7 line. As the pics I took show, the R188 will be both converted R142A, just renamed, and another CBTC compatible B car added, to make 11 cars. I don't think it will be nothing more, or nothing less.

Actually, there will be entirely new trainsets built as part of the R188 order. The base order alone calls for 23 new cars, one insert car for the converted R142As (7211-20), as well as two brand spanking new 11-car sets. The revised option order consists of six new 11-car sets and 37 insert cars for the 37 converted 10-car R142As.

More info: http://i42.tinypic.com/r2oqb8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the R188 @Corona signed as a <7>

Also I saw an R62 leave signed as a (6)

And later I saw R62's and a few redbird going OOS on the (7) towards Manhattan at about 82nd.

And of course the installation of CBTC on the (7) over the weekends :cool:

Edited by CDTA

I think the R62a should stay on the (7) line for 30 or 40 more years:). it's a really good subway train and it's safe enough to ride. the (MTA) should really stop ordering newer cars (it's a waste of money). remember how the (MTA) ordered alot of R160's, well (MTA) was losing money so bad, that they lost the (V) and (W) and had to force the employees to stop working for a long while in order to save money. so let the subway run and if it retire's, they should rebuilt it:rock:.

"Know one messes with the R62a"

I think the R62a should stay on the (7) line for 30 or 40 more years:). it's a really good subway train and it's safe enough to ride. the (MTA) should really stop ordering newer cars (it's a waste of money). remember how the (MTA) ordered alot of R160's, well (MTA) was losing money so bad, that they lost the (V) and (W) and had to force the employees to stop working for a long while in order to save money. so let the subway run and if it retire's, they should rebuilt it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The sole reason why Flushing gets NTTs is that those are the only trains compatible with CBTC. The service cuts weren't caused by order of new B division cars, rather they were caused by results of economical recession in the country few years back.