Let me give a go on this...

Route Number/Name
Bx33A
Purpose
Access between Port Morris and Astoria
Route Owner
West Farms Depot
General Route
It starts of with the main route, the :bus_bullet_bx33: , until St. Anns Avenue, where it makes a left until East 134th Street, where it goes straight onto the ramp for the RFK-Triborough Bridge. It will continue through the bridge until exit 45. After doing that, the route will make a right onto 31st Street where it will continue until Ditmars Boulevard to make a left and terminate. The return route will make a left on 29th Street, and make another left onto 23rd Avenue, and then make a right back onto 31st Street. It will go straight down that street, until it reaches I-278 where it will make a right, and head straight onto the ramp that leads to the RFK-Triborough. It will go straight on the bridge (as previously mentioned), but will go straight for exit 48 which leads onto Bruckner Boulevard. It would continue straight on that street until East 138th Street where it remeets the :bus_bullet_bx33: , following the main route, and terminate to where it ends (East 132nd Street and Walnut Avenue).
Stops

For Queens
It follows all the stops the Bx33 makes before St. Anns Avenue. Once turning onto that street, stops are:
East 138th Street and St. Anns Avenue
East 135th Street and St. Anns Avenue (transfer to  :bus_bullet_bx15:)

After making a left onto East 134th Street 
East 134th Street and St. Anns Avenue

Heads straight onto RFK-Triborough Bridge until exit 45, and after making left on 31st Street 
Astoria Boulevard and 31st Street (Free transfer to the  (N) and  (Q).)

Straight on 31st Street 
31st Street and 21 Road

Left onto Ditmars Boulevard 
Ditmars Boulevard and 31st Street (Free transfer to the  (N) and  (Q).)

***TERMINATES***
For the Bronx

Left onto 29th Street

29th Street and Ditmars Boulevard

29th Street and 23rd Avenue

Left onto 23rd Avenue

31st Street and 29th Avenue

Left and straight onto 31st Street

23rd Road and 31st Street (stops in front of school)

Right onto Hoyt Avenue North before going straight onto the RFK

Hoyt Avenue North-Hoyt Playground and 31 Street (stops in front of playground, free transfer for the  (N) and  (Q) for final time.)

Straight on the RFK-Triborough until exit 48, and after making a right onto Bruckner Boulevard

Bruckner Boulevard and East 136th Street

Bruckner Boulevard and East 138th Street

Goes right onto East 138th Street, follows the  :bus_bullet_bx33:'s stops and route from there, and terminates at East 132nd Street and Walnut Avenue.

Hours

Weekdays for 5 to 10 minutes. Weekends 10 to 15 minutes. It does not run on during late nights.

What do you think about this?

Route Number/Name

Bx33A

Purpose

Route Owner

West Farms Depot

General Route

It starts of with the main route, the :bus_bullet_bx33: , until St. Anns Avenue, where it makes a left until East 134th Street, where it goes straight onto the ramp for the RFK-Triborough Bridge. It will continue through the bridge until exit 45. After doing that, the route will make a right onto 31st Street where it will continue until Ditmars Boulevard to make a left and terminate. The return route will make a left on 29th Street, and make another left onto 23rd Avenue, and then make a right back onto 31st Street. It will go straight down that street, until it reaches I-278 where it will make a right, and head straight onto the ramp that leads to the RFK-Triborough. It will go straight on the bridge (as previously mentioned), but will go straight for exit 48 which leads onto Bruckner Boulevard. It would continue straight on that street until East 138th Street where it remeets the :bus_bullet_bx33: , following the main route, and terminate to where it ends (East 132nd Street and Walnut Avenue).

Stops

For Queens

It follows all the stops the Bx33 makes before St. Anns Avenue. Once turning onto that street, stops are:

East 138th Street and St. Anns Avenue

East 135th Street and St. Anns Avenue (transfer to  :bus_bullet_bx15:)

After making a left onto East 134th Street 

East 134th Street and St. Anns Avenue

Heads straight onto RFK-Triborough Bridge until exit 45, and after making left on 31st Street 

Astoria Boulevard and 31st Street (Free transfer to the  (N) and  (Q).)

Straight on 31st Street 

31st Street and 21 Road

Left onto Ditmars Boulevard 

Ditmars Boulevard and 31st Street (Free transfer to the  (N) and  (Q).)

***TERMINATES***

For the Bronx

Left onto 29th Street

29th Street and Ditmars Boulevard

29th Street and 23rd Avenue

Left onto 23rd Avenue

31st Street and 29th Avenue

Left and straight onto 31st Street

23rd Road and 31st Street (stops in front of school)

Right onto Hoyt Avenue North before going straight onto the RFK

Hoyt Avenue North-Hoyt Playground and 31 Street (stops in front of playground, free transfer for the  (N) and  (Q) for final time.)

Straight on the RFK-Triborough until exit 48, and after making a right onto Bruckner Boulevard

Bruckner Boulevard and East 136th Street

Bruckner Boulevard and East 138th Street

Goes right onto East 138th Street, follows the  :bus_bullet_bx33:'s stops and route from there, and terminates at East 132nd Street and Walnut Avenue.

Hours

Weekdays for 5 to 10 minutes. Weekends 10 to 15 minutes. It does not run on during late nights.

Seems like a decent proposal, but I think there should be a diffrent route that should go to astoria, like a laguardia route like the Webster- Laguardia route proposal.

Seems like a decent proposal, but I think there should be a diffrent route that should go to astoria, like a laguardia route like the Webster- Laguardia route proposal.

A Bx33 branch to Astoria? Is there like a great demand for it?

I don't.

Never mind that the service area is very small. But look at the area it service, more so Port Morris. It's in industrious land. I mean, what routes do you have that run on weekends in industrial sections.

Yeah the Q39,67, Bx46, Bx6 and the 33 are major ones (I'm pretty sure there are more).

The 39 gets no ridership from it's portion there, and the 67 gets very little ridership. They run though because Central Queens needs a better subway link. The Bx6 has service past Southern to compensate for all that time running thorough the industrial zone.

The Bx33 BARELY made it out in the 2010 budget cuts (which would've made the Bx33 have no weekend service).

The Bx46, well....

The concept is not bad, but I do not think it should be a bus route from Port Morris. I don't think it would garner much ridership, and those headways are too generous. You'll be lucky with 30 minute headways throughout the day (and maybe 45-60 minute headways evenings).

Not a routing proposal but still enough of a suggestion to post here. I would remove artics from the Bx12 local and add them to the Bx28/38. My motives mainly have to do with the fact that the Bx12 local needs better headway if it's going to be the local support for Bx12 +Select and the best way to accomplish that is by putting in standard buses. The Bx28/38 is the reverse. Headways aren't bad yet the loads at some points (especially Gun Hill/WPR) scream for higher capacity buses to be added into the mix.

Not a routing proposal but still enough of a suggestion to post here. I would remove artics from the Bx12 local and add them to the Bx28/38. My motives mainly have to do with the fact that the Bx12 local needs better headway if it's going to be the local support for Bx12 +Select and the best way to accomplish that is by putting in standard buses. The Bx28/38 is the reverse. Headways aren't bad yet the loads at some points (especially Gun Hill/WPR) scream for higher capacity buses to be added into the mix.

Bad idea. The Bx12 local needs artics just as much as the SBS. Also, I don't think the local needs that much headways if you have the SBS.

Bad idea. The Bx12 local needs artics just as much as the SBS. Also, I don't think the local needs that much headways if you have the SBS.

I guess 10 minute frequency during rush hour is acceptable for the local version of the third (soon to be second) busiest route in the city. I don't think so. If artics were taken off more buses would be needed to accommodate the demand which improves frequency. No route busy enough for artics should be not busy enough to get headways better than 10 minutes during rush hour. I feel 12 local riders are getting shafted frequency wise and there's no way that gets addressed while articulated buses run on it.

I guess 10 minute frequency during rush hour is acceptable for the local version of the third (soon to be second) busiest route in the city. I don't think so. If artics were taken off more buses would be needed to accommodate the demand which improves frequency. No route busy enough for artics should be not busy enough to get headways better than 10 minutes during rush hour. I feel 12 local riders are getting shafted frequency wise and there's no way that gets addressed while articulated buses run on it.

I think the reason why the Bx12 Local can get away with it's headways is because West of White Plains Road. There is the Bx9,17,and 22 helping it out. Plus SBS stops are roughly a few blocks away from each other. (Except for Southern Blvd-Fordham Plaza stops). East of White Plains there are barely any riders. The average wait time is 5 minutes for a Local bus. I think the Local riders can wait 5 minutes for a bus to pass by. I think the 12 Local should keep the artics, but I do see your point though.

lol.. Of course you do... Sorry but riders aren't being shafted if they don't have frequencies of every 5 minutes.

lol.. Of course you do... Sorry but riders aren't being shafted if they don't have frequencies of every 5 minutes.

It would be overkill and exacerbate bus bunching which is already rampant enough. The only thing they should do to the Bx12 local is make the  W/B last stop Sedgwick/Bailey where the Bxm3 stops.

I would like to propose adding Artics on the Bx3 during rush hours as well as altering the N/B terminal to 238/Irwin adding N/B stops at 238/Corlear and 238/Irwin and S/B stops at 240/Tibbett and 238/Corlear. I'm all for making U-turns to save time looping around the block but the U-turn performed at KB avenue is nowhere as efficient as the ones made at Riverdale Line (Bx7/9/10). There simply isn't enough room in the intersection, it blocks traffic, puts pedestrians in harms way, all in all it is a major nuisance. As of late, construction has begun to improve walkability and safety on Broadway thus the N/B terminal has been combined with the S/B first stop on the North side in a similar manner to the Q46 @ Kew Gardens (it was never mentioned by MTA).  Riders are forced to run to Bailey/238 or wait up to 20 mins, if the bus leaves early. While the construction may be temporary, the ped island they've placed adjacent to the SW corner isn't and now it's become even more difficult for B/Os to navigate that turn. Traffic is only bound to worsen with Riverdale Crossing on the way...

It would be overkill and exacerbate bus bunching which is already rampant enough. The only thing they should do to the Bx12 local is make the  W/B last stop Sedgwick/Bailey where the Bxm3 stops.

I would like to propose adding Artics on the Bx3 during rush hours as well as altering the N/B terminal to 238/Irwin adding N/B stops at 238/Corlear and 238/Irwin and S/B stops at 240/Tibbett and 238/Corlear. I'm all for making U-turns to save time looping around the block but the U-turn performed at KB avenue is nowhere as efficient as the ones made at Riverdale Line (Bx7/9/10). There simply isn't enough room in the intersection, it blocks traffic, puts pedestrians in harms way, all in all it is a major nuisance. As of late, construction has begun to improve walkability and safety on Broadway thus the N/B terminal has been combined with the S/B first stop on the North side in a similar manner to the Q46 @ Kew Gardens (it was never mentioned by MTA).  Riders are forced to run to Bailey/238 or wait up to 20 mins, if the bus leaves early. While the construction may be temporary, the ped island they've placed adjacent to the SW corner isn't and now it's become even more difficult for B/Os to navigate that turn. Traffic is only bound to worsen with Riverdale Crossing on the way...

Riverdale Crossing is really overhyped... It's actually partially open and traffic hasn't been all that bad.  They named it Riverdale Crossing in the hopes of getting folks from Riverdale to shop along Broadway, but they can forget that.  The majority of Riverdalians shop in Riverdale or they go to Westchester or Manhattan.  The stores over there leave a lot to be desired.

The Bx12 local could get away with 40ft buses if the Bx12 SBS ran consistently... which the Bx12 SBS does not.

The artics are on the Bx12 for SBS overflow in addition to the riders it serves already. Plus, 2 artics have the capacity for 3 40ft buses, which decreases costs for the (MTA).

My little rant about the SBS 12 though: It's a BRT line with subway like headways and subway like crowds, but still uses bus style dispatching which screws over the ends of the lines when there are delays. Problem is, the line is busy from end to end and all it does is gets B/O's somewhat closer to schedule but doesn't help overall service at all.

Route Number/Name

Bx33A

Purpose

Route Owner

West Farms Depot

General Route

** routing/terminal/stops info **

Hours

The route would have no riderbase, and you're talking about a route like this running on low headways like that....

Who in the Bronx is going to make their way to an industrial area, for access to the Broadway line? And you're not gonna get Bronxites to catch the M60 towards LGA in Queens, when their chances of getting a seat are far better along 125th....

As for potential Queens riders... again, you have the route ending in an industrial area....

The equivalent of what you're doing as far that goes, would be similar to truncating the Q44 in (Bronx's) Safety City.....

A Bx33 branch to Astoria? Is there like a great demand for it?

Great demand? There isn't any demand.... Lol......

I don't.

Never mind that the service area is very small. But look at the area it service, more so Port Morris. It's in industrious land. I mean, what routes do you have that run on weekends in industrial sections.

Yeah the Q39,67, Bx46, Bx6 and the 33 are major ones (I'm pretty sure there are more).

The 39 gets no ridership from it's portion there, and the 67 gets very little ridership. They run though because Central Queens needs a better subway link. The Bx6 has service past Southern to compensate for all that time running thorough the industrial zone.

The Bx33 BARELY made it out in the 2010 budget cuts (which would've made the Bx33 have no weekend service).

The Bx46, well....

The concept is not bad, but I do not think it should be a bus route from Port Morris. I don't think it would garner much ridership, and those headways are too generous. You'll be lucky with 30 minute headways throughout the day (and maybe 45-60 minute headways evenings).

All those routes you mentioned (well, except for that abysmal Bx46) have a riderbase.... This branch he's proposing or w/e, none would exist.... Screw focusing on having a route run like this on weekends; a route like this should never come to fruition at all.....

As far as the concept.... If you want to create a Bronx-Queens connection of sorts, you cannot stunt it at Port freakin Morris.... Residents coming from other areas from the city are not going to wait for (or disembark) a bus in an industrial area, if they're trying to get to some other point past that industrial area.... The route itself could pass through such an area to get to a point/place of interest, but ending there?

Not a chance.

I'll give you an example..... If the Q67 ended somewhere in industrial maspeth, do you really think those middle village riders that take it to access for the (7), or over to court sq., would take the route to xfer to the Q39 (forget about the fact of a 2 fare zone for a second) for those same reasons? Of course not....

Yeah, but what makes you think they're gonna keep headways at what they are on the combined Bx28/38, if they were to take away artics from the Bx12 local to give to it?

...is the real issue with this guy.

I think the reason why the Bx12 Local can get away with it's headways is because West of White Plains Road. There is the Bx9,17,and 22 helping it out. Plus SBS stops are roughly a few blocks away from each other. (Except for Southern Blvd-Fordham Plaza stops). East of White Plains there are barely any riders. The average wait time is 5 minutes for a Local bus. I think the Local riders can wait 5 minutes for a bus to pass by. I think the 12 Local should keep the artics, but I do see your point though.

(Emboldened) Are you implicating that Bx12 local usage would be less, if not for the portion of the route west of WPR?

If so, how much less do you think it would be??

I get what you're conveying about low(er) demand for the local for the Bx12 east of WPR, but making the point that the 12 local is helped out by the 9/17/22 doesn't do those riding from Pelham bay any justice.... You can only supply but so much service (and cram but so much people) on the 12 SBS from the eastern portion of the route.....

Just a crazy idea or not, elinimate the Bx33 and replace it with the Bx17 to Harlem and the Bx21 to Port Morris. Bx33 takes too long especially on the weekend.

Forgot about this one....

You do realize that the Bx17 & the Bx21 are 2 of the more unreliable routes in the Bronx..... Prolonging both of those routes to have the Bx33 eliminated won't quell any concerns of long wait times.....

Riverdale Crossing is really overhyped... It's actually partially open and traffic hasn't been all that bad.  They named it Riverdale Crossing in the hopes of getting folks from Riverdale to shop along Broadway, but they can forget that.  The majority of Riverdalians shop in Riverdale or they go to Westchester or Manhattan.  The stores over there leave a lot to be desired.

Broadway Plaza @230 St is partially open, Riverdale Crossing @237 St is only ~70% completed in terms of construction. I agree, the selection of stores needs to be improved (ex. Barnes & Noble where Loehmanns used to be) but I see Riverdalians and Northwest Bronxites as a whole driving to the new BJs as opposed to trekking to Pelham Manor. We are both well aware that it should have been named Kingsbridge Crossing as that's the actual neighborhood (Van Cortlandt Village if you want to be technical about it) however according to MTA that's Riverdale (see the Bx1/3 designation signs). Do you have any remarks on my Bx3 proposal? 

Broadway Plaza @230 St is partially open, Riverdale Crossing @237 St is only ~70% completed in terms of construction. I agree, the selection of stores needs to be improved (ex. Barnes & Noble where Loehmanns used to be) but I see Riverdalians and Northwest Bronxites as a whole driving to the new BJs as opposed to trekking to Pelham Manor. We are both well aware that it should have been named Kingsbridge Crossing as that's the actual neighborhood (Van Cortlandt Village if you want to be technical about it) however according to MTA that's Riverdale (see the Bx1/3 designation signs). Do you have any remarks on my Bx3 proposal? 

Well the Bx1 actually terminates right at the Riverdale border.  Since it terminates at Riverdale Avenue, that is technically part of Riverdale (Spuyten Duyvil to be exact).  Everything East of Riverdale Avenue by 231st is Kingsbridge.  To the North up the hill along Riverdale Avenue is Central Riverdale (Downtown Riverdale, a subsection of Riverdale).  To the South up the hill Along Riverdale/Irwin & Johnson Avenue is Spuyten Duyvil (a subsection of Riverdale).   

The Bx3 however does not terminate in Riverdale.  It terminates in Kingsbridge, but because it is so close to Riverdale, they decided to use Riverdale, as people will generally know of Riverdale before they know about Kingsbridge.  The current Bx3 terminal makes the most sense because 238th is completely residential after Broadway, and I think the homeowners there would make a stink about having a bus terminate by Irwin, as it's very quiet.  Riverdale is just up the step stairs, which helps that area remain decent, along with the fact that it is west of Broadway, which is generally nicer.

But yeah... That whole area is called "Riverdale" when it isn't Riverdale, and it's pretty annoying.  In fact it has become so bad that even areas along Broadway and 225th are referred to as "Riverdale", which is clearly Marble Hill.  The Target at Broadway and 225th is referred to as the "Riverdale" location along with the Bally's gym, but both of them are in Marble Hill, but Riverdale is classy and affluent, so they would prefer to use Riverdale, as it may bring more people into the stores and allow them to charge higher rents.  The honest truth is Riverdalians don't want any of that stuff up the hill.  We prefer the mom and pop stores and not tons of box stores, and they would be out of character with the area, so they must put those things along Broadway.  Calling that area "Riverdale" is nothing but an unsuccessful market ploy at getting Riverdalians to come down the hill and shop.  The area simply isn't classy enough.  Broadway is congested, dark due to the (1) train above, and quite frankly ghetto with people driving around blasting loud music at all hours and dirty as well.  I could never see myself shopping down there, and only a handful of folks from Riverdale go down that aren't using the (1) train.  There is generally a pride factor here in supporting our local businesses up the hill and preserving our unique community.   Most neighborhoods have been swallowed up by mom and pop stores, but here I know the owner of my local wine store, my Japanese restaurant, Greek restaurant and so on, and they know me, and everyone is very tight knit.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

(Emboldened) Are you implicating that Bx12 local usage would be less, if not for the portion of the route west of WPR?

If so, how much less do you think it would be??

I get what you're conveying about low(er) demand for the local for the Bx12 east of WPR, but making the point that the 12 local is helped out by the 9/17/22 doesn't do those riding from Pelham bay any justice.... You can only supply but so much service (and cram but so much people) on the 12 SBS from the eastern portion of the route.....

No I don't think the Local usage would be less, I am just stating my thoughts as to why I think the 12 Local has the headway it does. Some of the local stops along Fordham Road are served by another bus or has the SBS bus stop a few blocks away. I'm not saying that nobody uses the 12 Local. Some 12 Locals I see are packed but I am just stating a theory about the headways.

No I don't think the Local usage would be less, I am just stating my thoughts as to why I think the 12 Local has the headway it does. Some of the local stops along Fordham Road are served by another bus or has the SBS bus stop a few blocks away. I'm not saying that nobody uses the 12 Local. Some 12 Locals I see are packed but I am just stating a theory about the headways.

Yeah, I get all that about stating your thoughts & theories.... You can still be questioned on whatever input you put out here...

Anyway, I'm not remotely implicating that you're conveying no one uses the Bx12 Local.... I just don't see how you can later claim local usage would not be less, if not for the portion of the route west of WPR - if you are also saying that east of White Plains, there are barely any riders..... That does not make sense....

But I digress....

Edited by B35 via Church

Here's something I would propose: the Bx54

It would run from Fordham Plaza to Flushing. Downtown buses would run on 3 Avenue, left on 184 Street, onto Authur Avenue, left on 182 Street, right on Boston Road, left on Tremont Avenue, then follow the Q44 to Flushing. Uptown buses uses the same streets as Downtown buses (at least where it separates from the Q44). The Bx54 would make all stops, allowing the Q44 to get limited stops in the Bronx. 

The home depot would be West Farms and its bus models would be a mix of both standard and artic buses like the Bx15. It runs at all times except late nights and it's frequency is similar to the Q44.

The last time I checked, the Bx12 gets riders along the full route. 

Of course.... But I would say he is right in saying that the ridership on the Bx12 local is (or by far & large, seems to be) on the portion west of White plains rd, compared to east of WPR.....

I find that there's a bigger proportion of folks from the east (of WPR, inclusive) on the Bx12, seek LTD's..... And if you compare commercial fordham rd (western part of the route) to residential pelham parkway (eastern portion of the route), it makes sense..... Compare the amt. of riders at Pelham Bay Park that get off short of WPR, to those that are riding well past WPR....

...and there you go.