B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well if my number is not called within the 6 month period I willing to go ahead n do the training and road test on my own...it doesn't really matter to me i just want to start the process..its funny because the only reason i decided to do AAR is because someone told me it would give me a leg up to getting hired to MTA...i should have known it was to good to be true..lol

I wish it was like that, but they're in a different division. As a road supervisor I pretty much know all the superintendent in the paratransit division..The only advice they gave me was "GOOD LUCK" lol......You're soon about to be called so be prepared...

I wish it was like that, but they're in a different division. As a road supervisor I pretty much know all the superintendent in the paratransit division..The only advice they gave me was "GOOD LUCK" lol......You're soon about to be called so be prepared...

I'm So ready..You just don't know...lol Thank you so much for the tips I will keep you guys informed in case anything new happens

Can you only renew once then you have to either take the road test or take the written all over again? 

Yeah GVC is owned by Maggies now. Not sure how many times can you renewal it with the 6 months limitation . My wife had the full one year and recently she renewed it and they gave her 6 months now.

I believe, with the new regulations by DMV, you can renew it once for another six [6] month period. After that, you have to take the necessary multiple-choice tests over again...

I have a question. I might go into training for assistant conductor trainee for LIRR in September. Will i be able to put myself on hold for 4600 if I get a letter during training? If so, how? and how long does it last?(list # 82x btw)

Just in chance LIRR doesn't work out ill still like to have this opportunity.

Thanks in advance. 

MTAondeck how was the first week?

... and by the time you see this, how was day 5?

Mtc9891 the first week was rough I must say. This weekend, I took some additional driving lessons just to better prepare myself for this upcoming week. I feel like I can most certainly qualify on day 7 with the additional lessons especially. The instructor just makes us nervous because he's not subtle with his rudeness for lack of better terms. He called Jersey Transit guy stupid "what are you stupid" we're the exact words used. Jersey Transit guy wasnt being a know it all this time, I just think the instructor is picking on him now because of how he was when we started. To be honest, the ability to drive is somewhat of the easy part. Remembering the pre-trip, hazards, parallel, securing his etc are the challenging parts but the most difficult is dealings with the instructors. Because they know they literally hold the stake of your jobs in their hands, they treat you like crap and expect you to bow down to them. I've been extremely nice and taking in everything like a sponge. Even when I get yelled at, I just take it with stride and listen and try and correct myself. But we're all adults and should be treated as such. Some people should never be in power because they abuse their authority. Me and my other trainees spoke to Jersey Transit last week and advised him to take a few steps back and do everything the MTA way. No being combative, no suggestions, no interfering with what they want, etc and he corrected himself almost immediately. I want us all to pass because we're all good drivers even him but I feel since the instructors have the final say, not all of us will pass unfortunately. It's like they almost want a certain percentage to fail because they over hire if that makes sense. They've already appointed over 100 people I believe but when you think about, are there over 100 positions needing to be filled? That's just something that I've been thinking about all weekend and having conversations with the driving school instructor and a buddy who is already employed with MTA. I'll keep everyone posted!!!

This is for everyone who wants to be a future bus operator, i know we are all adults who like to be treated respectfully, i know transit has some superintendents with bad attitudes but so what? You are in a position for the most part to upgrade your current job and have a decent career. DON'T LET ANYONE OR ANYTHING GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR CURRENT GOAL! focus less on the attitude of the superintendent and more on what you need to pass the training. The 2 superintendents i had training me didn't have the best of personalities but i be damned if i let that get in the way of what i wanted. They have a job to do and that is to train you to drive the bus, not to be your friend, not to be compassionate, not to rub your shoulders when you don't do things as instructed. Please stop using how you are treated as an excuse for anything. Go in there and get the job done. If you can't handle 10 days of verbal abuse from someone who is trying to teach you how do you plan on handling 20+ years of verbal abuse from the people you plan on driving?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This is for everyone who wants to be a future bus operator, i know we are all adults who like to be treated respectfully, i know transit has some superintendents with bad attitudes but so what? You are in a position for the most part to upgrade your current job and have a decent career. DON'T LET ANYONE OR ANYTHING GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR CURRENT GOAL! focus less on the attitude of the superintendent and more on what you need to pass the training. The 2 superintendents i had training me didn't have the best of personalities but i be damned if i let that get in the way of what i wanted. They have a job to do and that is to train you to drive the bus, not to be your friend, not to be compassionate, not to rub your shoulders when you don't do things as instructed. Please stop using how you are treated as an excuse for anything. Go in there and get the job done. If you can't handle 10 days of verbal abuse from someone who is trying to teach you how do you plan on handling 20+ years of verbal abuse from the people you plan on driving?

I think you're missing the point. There is a difference between being harsh and brash for the sole purpose of training and being outright disrespectful calling you out your name. Jersey Trainsit guy reported the instructor and there was an impromptu meeting with superintendents offering an apology. Jersey Transit recorded the driver thankfully and we'll see what happens tomorrow. Don't think he'll be our instructor anymore lol. Anyways today was a lot better than before as we are all driving and better prepared than ever before. 2 of us had lessons over the weekend which I think helped. We should all pass on day 7....fingers crossed.

Another thing, don't take anything we or anyone says or does as an excuse. Your experience is just that but others may be different. I've taken several numbers of other trainees from orientation and they are experiencing similar issues so I guess MTA thinks it's the corporate culture to behave as such. Again you take it in stride as much as possible and just nod your head for the time being until you pass training but the process in getting there by way of these disrespectful instructors is ridiculous. I'll be glad when I qualify soon!!!

This is for everyone who wants to be a future bus operator, i know we are all adults who like to be treated respectfully, i know transit has some superintendents with bad attitudes but so what?

Since when did treating people disrespectfully become a so what? The cops harass blacks and since it's the norm, would you treat it as a so what? I get you are eager for the job which is great because we all are somewhat excited but please don't be the person that turns the blind eye and surmise it as a "well at least it's not me so I'm okay" viewpoint when in all actuality, it's wrong period.

Since when did treating people disrespectfully become a so what? The cops harass blacks and since it's the norm, would you treat it as a so what? I get you are eager for the job which is great because we all are somewhat excited but please don't be the person that turns the blind eye and surmise it as a "well at least it's not me so I'm okay" viewpoint when in all actuality, it's wrong period.

You obviously didn't get the point i was trying to make, im not condoning being disrespected at all, all im saying is deal with it for the 10 days and stop using it as a reason to not achieve the ultimate goal. Like i stated earlier the verbal abuse you will receive being an operator will be 10x worse than what you will deal with in training.

You obviously didn't get the point i was trying to make, im not condoning being disrespected at all, all im saying is deal with it for the 10 days and stop using it as a reason to not achieve the ultimate goal. Like i stated earlier the verbal abuse you will receive being an operator will be 10x worse than what you will deal with in training.

I specified we were dealing with it and taking in everything with stride...maybe you missed that! Nothing is an excuse as to why we will not achieve because I just stated I think we'll all qualify on day 7. No one is making any mistakes really at this point. But in the end, it's up to the instructor to pass or fail you. As youngNYC said before in his experience, some instructors are just against you which was what I believed happened with Jersey Transit guy. Happy he spoke up and reported the instructor.

Dealing with disrespect from patrons is to be expected that's never a concern. We're in NYC lol. As the superintendent said, his behavior was not appropriate and of course we accepted the apology and plan on moving forward.

I specified we were dealing with it and taking in everything with stride...maybe you missed that! Nothing is an excuse as to why we will not achieve because I just stated I think we'll all qualify on day 7. No one is making any mistakes really at this point. But in the end, it's up to the instructor to pass or fail you. As youngNYC said before in his experience, some instructors are just against you which was what I believed happened with Jersey Transit guy. Happy he spoke up and reported the instructor.

Dealing with disrespect from patrons is to be expected that's never a concern. We're in NYC lol. As the superintendent said, his behavior was not appropriate and of course we accepted the apology and plan on moving forward.

No i think you missed the part when i said "everyone" crying on the forums just shows how weak of a person you are. Deal with it!

No i think you missed the part when i said "everyone" crying on the forums just shows how weak of a person you are. Deal with it!

Lmao you still don't get it! I wasn't the one crying "I shall not resort to name calling because I almost did". Was simply relaying my experience from training as one of my cohorts was not being treated fairly, spoke up and was vindicated for lack of better terms. You have to get it together. You have the wrong attitude if you think you'll have a successful career with MTA. Especially dealing with the general public tsk tsk. I'll be happy to report when we all qualify on day 7!! Lmao

Deal with it? I guess that's how you live life. Just dealing with things huh? Getting unjustly pulled over, eh deal with it because it happens! Getting shot and mistreated...wait don't complain, just deal with it! Passed up on numerous jobs because of your skin color...wait is that a complaint I hear, unmm it better not be because you're supposed to just deal with it right? Let's move this to a different direction, man beating the crap out of his wife, u better not complain...you're supposed to just deal with it! That's your motto huh? Lol smh sad!

Kudos to Jersey Transit guy for speaking up and reporting the mistreatment. It didn't go unnoticed and look, you caught the attention of the higher ups I bet you'll qualify soon. Good job bro!

Wait until you pull into a stop with 30 or 40 pe ople waiting to get on who say they have been waiting 45 minutes  and your bus is loaded. That when you will see the people at there worst. The instructors are nothing compared to that. Believe me I know of what I speaking about. I did it for 25 years. 

Wait until you pull into a stop with 30 or 40 pe ople waiting to get on who say they have been waiting 45 minutes  and your bus is loaded. That when you will see the people at there worst. The instructors are nothing compared to that. Believe me I know of what I speaking about. I did it for 25 years.

Lol trust me, sadly I've been one of those patrons so I understand.

Being patient is key when it comes to geting this job. The hiring needs at the moment is probably high. Keep in mind operators are either retiring, terminated or promoted to upper mgt "dispatcher" or dispatchers getting promoted to Superintdents to either Bus divisions or paratransit so the positions probably needs to be filled in. It always a rush during the summer time all the way till November. December it slows down due to General pick system. If you see they calling and filling up its because they already reviewed how many operators they need for the remainder of the year. But i think they screwed up

Wow, im reading all of these posts, am i going into bus training or what sounds like a prison camp  :mellow:  ..is it really that bad in training?? maken me nervous lol 

The best advice I could give you is to try and remain calm at all times and listen carefully to what the instructor is telling you. They will at times yell at you and maybe even make you feel like crap but what helped me was that I blocked the instructors yelling and concentrated on the driving especially on days 6 and 7. Remember you need to do really well on both days to qualify on day 7.