B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

To update your address, you may do one of the following:

1. Visit us at the MTA Exam Information Center located in the lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, Mondays through Fridays, between 9 AM – 3 PM
  2. Email us at examsunit@nyct.com
  3. Fax us at (347) 643-8110

The correction form can be found here.

----

I'm going down for medical on the 9th. In the 500s.

see u there lol. is medical and the final processing done in the same day?(interview, finger printing and ids)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, not really new to the thread because I've read been reading. Just wanted to thank you guys for all of the info shared and congrats to those that have already made it through the process. I'm starting on the 8th and super excited. Let's have a class where the passing rate is 100%!!

see u there lol. is medical and the final processing done in the same day?(interview, finger printing and ids)

Providing you pass medical and you are NOT put on medical hold, yes. If not, once you come back and are taken off medical hold, then your interview, finger prints and your photo for your ID will be taken the same day.

Hey guys, not really new to the thread because I've read been reading. Just wanted to thank you guys for all of the info shared...

You're welcome. Don't forget about the Bus Operator 2613 thread too for invaluable information!!

I passed my medical but was told the first drug test would have expired by the time I started training so I didn't get final processing on the same day. Instead, they emailed me 2 days later (when my 2nd drug test came back clean) and told me to come back for final processing.

Hey guys!  Been checking out this forum for a while. I am from TA bus operator  exam 2613 and list 11xx, I was called in march of 2014 to report for pre employment however i was currently involved in a new restaurant business  at the moment and elected to defer. I reinstated my name back on to the list last month and was called for pre employment/drug test on friday july 29th. I have not received the email for the medical yet even though someone who was there with me with a higher list number already went yesterday to the medical. Deff passed the drug test i am sure of it , but what type of order do they go in for the medical.

Maybe someone can help my cousin recieved his letter and paperwork to report to 180 Livingston but he will be on vacation so he declined the date and sent the letter back because he will be on vacation when will they call him back to report to 180 Livingston he stated on the paper he will be on vacation

Edited by busman718

Maybe someone can help my cousin recieved his letter and paperwork to report to 180 Livingston but he will be on vacation so he declined the date and sent the letter back because he will be on vacation when will they call him back to report to 180 Livingston he stated on the paper he will be on vacation

Could be 3 months or more (or less), hope the vacation is worth it!

Providing you pass medical and you are NOT put on medical hold, yes. If not, once you come back and are taken off medical hold, then your interview, finger prints and your photo for your ID will be taken the same day.

You're welcome. Don't forget about the Bus Operator 2613 thread too for invaluable information!!

Thank you YoungNYC, I'll most certainly will.

Could be 3 months or more (or less), hope the vacation is worth it!

i doubt he really wants the job lucky bastard just retired from local 79 after 22 years and has over 300 thousand in his annuity he said he wants the job just to get out and keep busy lol

No that is not correct. The recording on DCAS hasn't been updated in 3-weeks. I am list number 20x and I was just there on Friday (8/5) doing my medical. I asked and they said last official number appointed was 199. However, I know for a fact that many in the 200-299 have been sent to training starting tomorrow and some on 8/22 which is when I am expected to go but I have not been told that officially because my drug test expires before 8/22 so I had to do it again on Friday. The 1024 is supposedly how many names they are currently going thru. I also have read many people on this forum in the 500 and 600 range that have been called in for pre-employment.

Hey NYCsubwayfan, when you went to training, what would you say was the main thing that caused you to not qualify? Like for example, was it the tight turns, or maybe the highway driving etc etc. just trying to pick your brain, so I know what to expect. Thanks as always buddy!

Hey NYCsubwayfan, when you went to training, what would you say was the main thing that caused you to not qualify? Like for example, was it the tight turns, or maybe the highway driving etc etc. just trying to pick your brain, so I know what to expect. Thanks as always buddy!

Long story short: Going into this cold, with no commercial driving experience, and as a result, I failed to check my mirrors every 3 to 5 secs, call out hazards, etc.

Ah ok. Thanks NYCsubwayfan, I really appreciate your advice, as should everyone else on this forum. I really respect the way you took a negative experience for you and use it to help us all. Most people failed the training are probably angry at the world, but you really have taken that negative experience and turned it into a positive for all of us. Much respect sir.

Ah ok. Thanks NYCsubwayfan, I really appreciate your advice, as should everyone else on this forum. I really respect the way you took a negative experience for you and use it to help us all. Most people failed the training are probably angry at the world, but you really have taken that negative experience and turned it into a positive for all of us. Much respect sir.

He also didn't allow it to deter him from pursuing a career with transit. Some people on other topics were turned off by transit because they felt the training was impossible to pass and the instructors were jerks and now they are against transit. It's refreshing to get advice from a seasoned individual on unbiased terms.

He also didn't allow it to deter him from pursuing a career with transit. Some people on other topics were turned off by transit because they felt the training was impossible to pass and the instructors were jerks and now they are against transit. It's refreshing to get advice from a seasoned individual on unbiased terms.

I have known for people not to pass on the first try and, they would wait and try again they would pass because they took what they learned from the 1st time and, applied it the second time around.

First, don't call me "sir", since we have both ladies and gentlemen on this site. Call me "Young" and we'll be good.

Second, no problem as far as the advice. For a couple of moments immediately after, I was mad, did some cursing, etc., but life moves on, whether you like it or not.

I also felt immediately afterwards that my instructor out of the Flatbush Depot (in February 2014, who is retired now) was a jerk, however I wrote a letter to Transit elaborating on several things I didn't like, including the fact that he didn't wear his seat belt, the fact that he made me drive over one of the bridges when I had a permit, the fact that he made a right turn on a red signal in the Rockaways, the fact that, from my perspective, he discriminated between those who had prior experience compared to me and my other classmate who worked for Access-A-Ride, the fact that he complained when we were chained (and no one in the Depot would listen to him), etc. However, I wrote a nice nasty letter to 2 Broadway & Zerega Avenue, and that took care of my instructor's bad habits, even without the legitimate proof.

Looking back, especially with these handouts that I was able to steal from him for these buses (to pass along to you folks, compared to being selfish), in addition to having some experience behind the wheel of a bus, I now understand where he was coming from.

However, in life, if we treat each other the way we want to be treated, since things can sneak up on us, I think we would be better off.