MTA Bus Operations: Repainted/Wrapped Buses

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/7/2018 at 7:45 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Surprised that they are unwrapping the 5300 series. Noting that MCH definitely needs SBS buses. Why not send some to MCH. However, gotta remember that MCH can't have too many buses plus these buses can't park on the street. 

On 2/9/2018 at 10:46 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i'm not. some of the 53xx's have been taking a consistent pounding. i wouldn't be surprised if the Flatbush 53xx's get unwrapped if certain transfers & moves occur in the future, distant or near. it somewhat bugs me that MCH "can't" be used to it's full potential, meanwhile, no one bats an eye at 100 street, although both communities complained about both depots for somewhat similar reasons

OF can hold about 70 more standard buses (23-25 artics) than they have now, however due to Union issues and other political reasons they only have what they have now.

And as I mentioned before ALL of Flatbush's (SBS) artics and standards will be replaced, and any other buses on ANY SBS routes that are not new will be replaced as well at all other depots.

Edited by East New York

19 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

7102 has been repainted. Guess they starting to refurb the 7000s

11 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

It looks ugly. Those buses haven't been here 4 years yet. 

Any pics? I wonder why they're repainting them now after they've only been in service for a little less than 3 years.

3 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Any pics? I wonder why they're repainting them now after they've only been in service for a little less than 3 years.

It's just regular blue and white although the way the repainted it is similar to the XD60s with the little thing that collects water at the back being black (on the driver side ). Its also almost time for them to be repainted but theres a chance the bus may have gotten into a accident also. 

Edited by Jdog14

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

Are any buses from pre cuomo wrap era is going to be repainted into th cuomo wrap scheme?

No clue yet, and if they decide to that. Forget about ads on those exterior buses. Uncle Andy doesn't want any ads on those buses 😩.  The ones from (MTA) bus are approaching 2 years old and not 1 bus has an exterior driver or passenger ad on them. The paint being used is similar to WMATA/DC metro has. 

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

No clue yet, and if they decide to that. Forget about ads on those exterior buses. Uncle Andy doesn't want any ads on those buses 😩.  The ones from (MTA) bus are approaching 2 years old and not 1 bus has an exterior driver or passenger ad on them. The paint being used is similar to WMATA/DC metro has. 

To me it wouldn’t make sense to have buses apart of the same company have different schemes. They painted over buses when they took over the private bus lines to mta colors so why not the older buses be painted into the newer scheme. That’s just me. 

6 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

To me it wouldn’t make sense to have buses apart of the same company have different schemes. They painted over buses when they took over the private bus lines to mta colors so why not the older buses be painted into the newer scheme. That’s just me. 

To repaint (or vinyl wrap) pre Cuomo scheme buses into the current style is arguably the most tedious job ever. The current scheme is extremely detailed... It's not as simple as the PBL to Bus Company scenario: taking buses that ALREADY had a white base paint job (regardless of the company's stripe color(s)) and adding a blue stripe (and MTA identifiers, such as depot logos, quality control, etc). Even in 2005-06 not all PBL buses were repainted... Why? Time, energy, effort & money couldn't be justified.

4 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

To repaint (or vinyl wrap) pre Cuomo scheme buses into the current style is arguably the most tedious job ever. The current scheme is extremely detailed... It's not as simple as the PBL to Bus Company scenario: taking buses that ALREADY had a white base paint job (regardless of the company's stripe color(s)) and adding a blue stripe (and MTA identifiers, such as depot logos, quality control, etc). Even in 2005-06 not all PBL buses were repainted... Why? Time, energy, effort & money couldn't be justified.

I see. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:50 AM, East New York said:

OF can hold about 70 more standard buses (23-25 artics) than they have now, however due to Union issues and other political reasons they only have what they have now.

And as I mentioned before ALL of Flatbush's (SBS) artics and standards will be replaced, and any other buses on ANY SBS routes that are not new will be replaced as well at all other depots.

For arguments sake, not to get too in depth with this, 70 standards could possibly cover the M2 &  M10 (not even taking into account the actual run board for each line) let's say... And approx. 23-25 artics (if they went this route) could cover the M60SBS or Bx19. I'm not sure if that's totally correct, but based on the run board the last few system picks, it seems doable either way. Much appreciated for the info, sir.

4 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

How tedious is it to swap out the white paint for blue and gold on the rear then apply the striped wrap? Its not much different from a SBS bus...

The tediousness (if that's a word, lol) isn't in "swapping" paint... It's about not paying MTA pension employees overtime to take a single bus out of service and send said bus to a base shop to strip off white paint & repaint it in a dark blue base... THEN add all the pretty yellows (gold... Whatever) and intricate swooshes in the paint scheme. Or, just taking a bus out of service to wrap that SOB in the new scheme. They'd rather have it painted before it gets here. And since these buses are already here, the philosophy is "f**k it... Run it as is." 

13 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

How tedious is it to swap out the white paint for blue and gold on the rear then apply the striped wrap? Its not much different from a SBS bus...

The way "The Real" explained it in one post some time ago is that these newest buses arrive painted in the Cuomo scheme with the SBS identifiers also being painted. The buses are wrapped for local service only. All before they touch TA property. Transit isn't looking to foot the bill to pay any NYCTA/MaBSTOA/Bus Company employee OT to do a job that could've been covered in the purchase price of the bus which would be significantly less than a base shop employee doing the work. 

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

The tediousness (if that's a word, lol) isn't in "swapping" paint... It's about not paying MTA pension employees overtime to take a single bus out of service and send said bus to a base shop to strip off white paint & repaint it in a dark blue base... THEN add all the pretty yellows (gold... Whatever) and intricate swooshes in the paint scheme. Or, just taking a bus out of service to wrap that SOB in the new scheme. They'd rather have it painted before it gets here. And since these buses are already here, the philosophy is "f**k it... Run it as is." 

I meant to say PAYROLL employee.