The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Technically speaking state residency does not matter (unlike other legally state government jobs). There was one guy who super-commuted to and from Delaware IIRC, and a conductor on the R lives in CT.

I'll move once I get enough money anyway just in case. I'm tired of being forced to drive in Boston cuz the MBTA is pretty much useless here. Bro even Detroit runs buses between than Boston. That's just sad

13 minutes ago, Fluffy IRT Fox said:

I got 4 out of 60 wrong and I took it in May. So quite good

Oh ok, so yea u will have to wait a bit. Not always 7 years, can be sooner. It all depends on when they establish a list from that exam and your score. OC exams usually have thousands of ppl who take the exam and thousands who will qualify so if you don't score perfect or a almost perfect score, u will definitely have to wait. 

2 hours ago, Jsalcedo718 said:

Oh ok, so yea u will have to wait a bit. Not always 7 years, can be sooner. It all depends on when they establish a list from that exam and your score. OC exams usually have thousands of ppl who take the exam and thousands who will qualify so if you don't score perfect or a almost perfect score, u will definitely have to wait. 

Waiting isn't really the problem, I can probably pass schoolcar no problem, especially if I get assigned to work for the IRT. What I'm worried about is waiting 7 years in anticipation wondering if this 1 irreversible condition I have will literally ruin my change at getting my dream job. It will literally be life over for me, all I've ever wanted to do is operate trains. If the subway rejects me because of my eyes, so will MaBSTOA, MTA bus, NYCT Civil Service bus, SIRTOA, NJT, LIRR, MNR, Amtrak, PATH, MBTA commuter rail, and possibly even NICE and Bee-Line. I'll literally live my life in shame. I hope to god I can convince the doctors at 149 that if I operated buses for the past 7 years I can operator trains. I'm going to NYC November 2nd to talk to some train operators for all 4 companies to get as much information about schoolcar as possible, maybe I'll find a way if I can talk to the medical team at 149. I already sent them an email and called them, they never followed up with me about this issue.

1 hour ago, Fluffy IRT Fox said:

Waiting isn't really the problem, I can probably pass schoolcar no problem, especially if I get assigned to work for the IRT. What I'm worried about is waiting 7 years in anticipation wondering if this 1 irreversible condition I have will literally ruin my change at getting my dream job. It will literally be life over for me, all I've ever wanted to do is operate trains. If the subway rejects me because of my eyes, so will MaBSTOA, MTA bus, NYCT Civil Service bus, SIRTOA, NJT, LIRR, MNR, Amtrak, PATH, MBTA commuter rail, and possibly even NICE and Bee-Line. I'll literally live my life in shame. I hope to god I can convince the doctors at 149 that if I operated buses for the past 7 years I can operator trains. I'm going to NYC November 2nd to talk to some train operators for all 4 companies to get as much information about schoolcar as possible, maybe I'll find a way if I can talk to the medical team at 149. I already sent them an email and called them, they never followed up with me about this issue.

im gonna be real with you , transit wont care that youve done buses for 7 years, if they don't like what they see its a no go

1 hour ago, Comrade96 said:

To all the conductors (new old and in the middle) PLEASE make sure you have an ACTUAL conductor board in front of you....

2nd incident in 2 weeks (that I know of) where someone opens up against a wall

Then people get mad and wonder why the SAFETY UNIT is out there covering up Boards and doing what they do..

Guess no one reads the Bulletins about efficiency testing...

Had something a little similar happen to me.

train of 68As as a Q early one morning, Northbound at Beverley…

My TO that fine day (only out a month or two at that point. I was almost off probation) thought she wasn’t on her proper marker. I’m on my board, I’m doing my thing… she gives me a long buzz as I’m turning the key to ON.

as I reach for the IC I hear the brakes release and the train start rolling backwards via gravity. i pulled the cord before we moved more than a foot.

she wanted to move up to the marker more, and in the process did not check if she had indication, nor tell me what she was going to do.

i would have said “no, you’re fine, I’m dead center on my board” and everything would have been hunky dory…

• 2 weeks later...

This is for you New Folks starting in Schoolcar..

Please BE ON TIME at where your class is scheduled to report to.

They aren't playing around with lateness...

People are getting dismissed from the Job due to this.

IF you know you are running late please have a phone number to call someone, anyone to let them know and not come strolling in while the TSSs and Class is waiting for you.

I seen this myself quite a few times...

Yes chit happens on the trains i get it but here a question what one is going to do when you have to get on a train and male a trip when one isn't in schoolcar?

Oh i forgot make sure you have the PROPER footwear on as well..

Some people just aren't taking this Job serious and its showing in Schoolcar if that's the case they shouldn't even waste their time then.

19 hours ago, RTOMan said:

This is for you New Folks starting in Schoolcar..

Please BE ON TIME at where your class is scheduled to report to.

They aren't playing around with lateness...

People are getting dismissed from the Job due to this.

IF you know you are running late please have a phone number to call someone, anyone to let them know and not come strolling in while the TSSs and Class is waiting for you.

I seen this myself quite a few times...

Yes chit happens on the trains i get it but here a question what one is going to do when you have to get on a train and male a trip when one isn't in schoolcar?

Oh i forgot make sure you have the PROPER footwear on as well..

Some people just aren't taking this Job serious and its showing in Schoolcar if that's the case they shouldn't even waste their time then.

Good. That's how it should be. As someone who's waiting for the 149 Pierrepont call, I think it needs to be drilled into the heads of T/Os the responsibilities they're given. The NYC subway doesn't just move NYC, it moves the world. UN Diplomats, foreign tourists, Harvard educated brain surgeons and lawyers, wall Street critters, and sometimes literal billionaires. If the NYC subway stops, the world stops. I can't wait for the call so I get get through schoolcar and be a part of the team that doesn't only move NYC, but the world. 

Seriously tho I wish here in Boston we had this amount of attention to punctuality. I literally had a bus route, Saturday, middle of the day, little to no traffic, light ridership, very short route (10 minutes 1 way tops) be 26 minutes late 💀. This was on the 100 bus in Medford. I have a screenshot of TranSee if anyone needs proof. This and other stuff that's happened to me over my 20 year life in Boston made me boycott the MBTA for life, cuz bro that's just unacceptable. MBTA drivers literally leave and show up as they please. I just use my parents car until I finally can escape Boston with schoolcar and can go back to riding public transportation again. This thread is very useful in helping me see the challenges ahead. I'm only now worried about the day 2 medical procedures cuz I'm worried I'll be disqualified from getting my dream job because of my weak right eye (amblyopia, I had this since birth) and it cannot be cured. I have my CDL tho, so maybe that'll persuade them

7 hours ago, Fluffy IRT Fox said:

Good. That's how it should be. As someone who's waiting for the 149 Pierrepont call, I think it needs to be drilled into the heads of T/Os the responsibilities they're given. The NYC subway doesn't just move NYC, it moves the world. UN Diplomats, foreign tourists, Harvard educated brain surgeons and lawyers, wall Street critters, and sometimes literal billionaires. If the NYC subway stops, the world stops. I can't wait for the call so I get get through schoolcar and be a part of the team that doesn't only move NYC, but the world. 

Seriously tho I wish here in Boston we had this amount of attention to punctuality. I literally had a bus route, Saturday, middle of the day, little to no traffic, light ridership, very short route (10 minutes 1 way tops) be 26 minutes late 💀. This was on the 100 bus in Medford. I have a screenshot of TranSee if anyone needs proof. This and other stuff that's happened to me over my 20 year life in Boston made me boycott the MBTA for life, cuz bro that's just unacceptable. MBTA drivers literally leave and show up as they please. I just use my parents car until I finally can escape Boston with schoolcar and can go back to riding public transportation again. This thread is very useful in helping me see the challenges ahead. I'm only now worried about the day 2 medical procedures cuz I'm worried I'll be disqualified from getting my dream job because of my weak right eye (amblyopia, I had this since birth) and it cannot be cured. I have my CDL tho, so maybe that'll persuade them

They'll have you take a vision exam. If you can pass it then you are good. 

The sooner people realize that we work with 95 percent absolute idiots then the less these stories will surprise you. Just go into any transit Facebook group and read what people are posting and you will see. You have new morons and old morons and the old morons got away with shit back in the day and are still here so they pontificating to the younger ones now. It makes me sound like an a**hole I know but I don't care. The "smartest" conversation I've ever overheard down here is 4 Rhodes scholars discussing how 5G gives you covid. 

System safety gets a bad rap but if people were out here doing shit the right way they wouldn't catch people so easy. 

7 hours ago, beanz said:

The sooner people realize that we work with 95 percent absolute idiots then the less these stories will surprise you. Just go into any transit Facebook group and read what people are posting and you will see. You have new morons and old morons and the old morons got away with shit back in the day and are still here so they pontificating to the younger ones now. It makes me sound like an a**hole I know but I don't care. The "smartest" conversation I've ever overheard down here is 4 Rhodes scholars discussing how 5G gives you covid. 

System safety gets a bad rap but if people were out here doing shit the right way they wouldn't catch people so easy. 

Are you referring to the 70s T/Os? I assume because they had less money for beakies so there were a lot more T/Os breaking protocol back then, not to mention older SMEEs had no speedometer and there were less grade timers. The entirety of NYC was a lawless hellhole, but now there's cameras and eyes everywhere and much less lawlessness so newer T/Os can't be breaking protocol. The folded 4 and Williamsburg bridge pretty much overhauled system safety. I saw a video (3:36 mark) from 1972 of a T/O leaving the South ferry outer loop with the gap fillers still extended. They retracted only after the train started moving. But the idiots working for TA is nothing unique, all the jobs I've had I have like 40 stories about the absolute lobotomites I've had as coworkers. They're everywhere, in every job.

46 minutes ago, Fluffy IRT Fox said:

Are you referring to the 70s T/Os? I assume because they had less money for beakies so there were a lot more T/Os breaking protocol back then, not to mention older SMEEs had no speedometer and there were less grade timers. The entirety of NYC was a lawless hellhole, but now there's cameras and eyes everywhere and much less lawlessness so newer T/Os can't be breaking protocol. The folded 4 and Williamsburg bridge pretty much overhauled system safety. I saw a video (3:36 mark) from 1972 of a T/O leaving the South ferry outer loop with the gap fillers still extended. They retracted only after the train started moving. But the idiots working for TA is nothing unique, all the jobs I've had I have like 40 stories about the absolute lobotomites I've had as coworkers. They're everywhere, in every job.

The current gap fillers at 14 St-Union Square don't retract until the train starts moving. There's a slow clearing signal on the end of the platforms that doesn't clear unless the train goes super slow. 

47 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

The current gap fillers at 14 St-Union Square don't retract until the train starts moving. There's a slow clearing signal on the end of the platforms that doesn't clear unless the train goes super slow. 

They don't? I thought the conductor would retract the gap fillers, T/O would confirm cab indicator light on and GF at proceed before departing. I'm going to NYC to talk to some train operators in 2 weeks, I'll scope out union square and see how they work cuz I could have sworn when I was there they were retracted before departure.

4 hours ago, Fluffy IRT Fox said:

You know what they say about assuming, don’t you ? Beakies do not check for operational issues. RTO supervisors handle train movements. You’re misinformed about gap fillers, too. Better to remain silent.

31 minutes ago, Fluffy IRT Fox said:

Damn bro sorry 💀 

No problem. Just wanted to clarify something. I’ve been around for many years and seen many different things. Great instructors and coworkers in my personal experience in RTO. BTW I was in Station Department before I started working in RTO. Carry on.