Planned Subway Service Changes

4 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So some interesting things are happening from September 27-30. On the MTA's website:

• Jamaica bound (J) train arrive on the (as the MTA states) express track at Essex St
  • The (L) is not running between 8 Av and Lorimer St at all
  • No changes to the (M)
  • The (Q) is not running between 96 St and Prospect Park at all

The reason why this is interesting is because there's no changes for the (M) at all as stated above. The (L) states the (M) as an alternative and the same for the (Q), but the (J) is getting tracks replaced. So there seems to be some miscommunication, either the (J) is not receiving track replacement or there is no extra service extending the (M) to 96 St at all.

The (M) is going to 96th St, sometimes the service changes are posted out of order. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The (M) is going to 96th St, sometimes the service changes are posted out of order. 

Damn staffing is going to be a problem that weekend, especially if the (M) had to run overnight to 96 St. Normally the extended hours are only from 8AM to 11:59PM Saturdays and 8AM to 9PM Sundays, and all other times regular (M) shuttle service. And they’re gonna have to either run the (M) every 8 minutes to cover 2 Av, or those trains are going to be crowded AF. Maybe logistics for this GO are the reason for the delay. Deciding on final touches for service hours, the need to run a shuttle (Q) train instead during the overnight, which tracks are even available to run trains through. I’m assuming the work zone for the (Q) GO is the Brighton tracks between Prospect Park and DeKalb Av, but not sure of the 63 St connector tracks

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Damn staffing is going to be a problem that weekend, especially if the (M) had to run overnight to 96 St. Normally the extended hours are only from 8AM to 11:59PM Saturdays and 8AM to 9PM Sundays, and all other times regular (M) shuttle service. And they’re gonna have to either run the (M) every 8 minutes to cover 2 Av, or those trains are going to be crowded AF. Maybe logistics for this GO are the reason for the delay. Deciding on final touches for service hours, the need to run a shuttle (Q) train instead during the overnight, which tracks are even available to run trains through. I’m assuming the work zone for the (Q) GO is the Brighton tracks between Prospect Park and DeKalb Av, but not sure of the 63 St connector tracks

Interestingly enough, it doesn’t state that a (Q) shuttle will run overnight under the (Q) section, so the (M) might very well run every 8 minutes to cover it.

To me it’s kinda strange, I would rather just run the (R) overnight in its place.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Interestingly enough, it doesn’t state that a (Q) shuttle will run overnight under the (Q) section, so the (M) might very well run every 8 minutes to cover it.

To me it’s kinda strange, I would rather just run the (R) overnight in its place.

Especially due to the shorter trains (480’ vs 600’). Those (M) trains get really busy believe it or not and several times I’ve complained on customer satisfaction surveys and to operators during these GOs that there needs to be more (M) service than every 12-15 minutes when the (L) is out. The trains already come full from 96 St and arriving at Bryant Park (and that’s with the (Q) running)

Edited by darkstar8983

14 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

It will not be the first time the (M) ran to 96th Street all night. Has happened several times

It’s been a while since I’ve done this.. Here’s everything for the weekends of September:

(1)(2)(3) Reduced service: Sep 21-22, 28-29

(2) No service between 135 St and 3 Av-149 St; Operates to Harlem-148 St: Sep 6-9, 13-16 

(3) Service is suspended entirely: Sep 6-9, 13-16

(3) Late night service is extended to New Lots At to supplement the (4): Sep 20-23, 27-30

(4) Extended to New Lots Av: Sep 6-9, 13-16

(4) No service between Bowling Green and Utica/New Lots Avs: Sep 20-23, 27-30

(5) No service between E 180 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse (Split service operation): Sep 7-8, 14-15, 21-22

(5) Reduced service: Sep 28-29

(6) Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 21-22, 28-29

(7) Reduced service: Sep 14-15, 28-29

(S) 42nd Street operates overnight to supplement the (2)(3): Sep 7-9, 14-16

(A)(C)  Runs via Rutgers tunnel in both directions: Sep 6-9

(A) No service between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd and Howard Beach-JFK: Sep 20-23, 27-30 (Note: This also extends into the first few weekends of October).

(A)(D) Uptown service is local along CPW: Sep 13-15

(C) Brooklyn-bound trains run via 6 Av and Rutgers tunnel: Sep 14-15 (Note: (A)(E) remain on 8th Avenue, but skip 23 and Spring Sts going Downtown)

(D) Coney Island-bound service is local in Brooklyn: Sep 7-8

(F) No service between Church Av and Coney Island: Sep 7-9, 14-16

(F) Jamaica-bound trains run via 53rd St: Sep 20-23

(M) Service is suspended entirely: Sep 7-8 

(M) Operates to 96 St to supplement the (Q): Sep 27-30

(L) No service between 8 Av and Union Sq: Sep 20-23

(L) No service between 8 Av and Lorimer St: Sep 27-30

(J) No service between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction (Split service operation): Sep 7-8

(N) Manhattan-bound service is local in Brooklyn: Sep 7-8, both directions: Sep 14-15

(N) Astoria-bound overnight service operates via Bridge: Sep 14-16

(N) Astoria-bound service operates via West End in Brooklyn: Sep 21-22, Coney Island bound: Sep 28-29

(N) Operates via Montague tunnel, both directions: Sep 28-29

(Q) No service between 96 St and Prospect Park: Sep 27-30

(R) No late night service between Whitehall St and Atlantic Av-Barclays; trains run express between in both directions Atlantic Av and 36 St: Sep 13-16

(S) Franklin Avenue- Service is suspended entirely: Sep 13-16

(SIR) Single tracking between Prince’s Bay and Arthur Kill: Sep 7-9, 14-16

Enjoy!

Edited by S78 via Hylan

On 9/6/2024 at 8:39 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

It’s been a while since I’ve done this.. Here’s everything for the weekends of September:

(1)(2)(3) Reduced service: Sep 21-22, 28-29

(2) No service between 135 St and 3 Av-149 St; Operates to Harlem-148 St: Sep 6-9, 13-16 

(3) Service is suspended entirely: Sep 6-9, 13-16

(3) Late night service is extended to New Lots At to supplement the (4): Sep 20-23, 27-30

(4) Extended to New Lots Av: Sep 6-9, 13-16

(4) No service between Bowling Green and Utica/New Lots Avs: Sep 20-23, 27-30

(5) No service between E 180 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse (Split service operation): Sep 7-8, 14-15, 21-22

(5) Reduced service: Sep 28-29

(6) Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 21-22, 28-29

(7) Reduced service: Sep 14-15, 28-29

(S) 42nd Street operates overnight to supplement the (2)(3): Sep 7-9, 14-16

(A)(C)  Runs via Rutgers tunnel in both directions: Sep 6-9

(A) No service between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd and Howard Beach-JFK: Sep 20-23, 27-30 (Note: This also extends into the first few weekends of October).

(A)(D) Uptown service is local along CPW: Sep 13-15

(C) Brooklyn-bound trains run via 6 Av and Rutgers tunnel: Sep 14-15 (Note: (A)(E) remain on 8th Avenue, but skip 23 and Spring Sts going Downtown)

(D) Coney Island-bound service is local in Brooklyn: Sep 7-8

(F) No service between Church Av and Coney Island: Sep 7-9, 14-16

(F) Jamaica-bound trains run via 53rd St: Sep 20-23

(M) Service is suspended entirely: Sep 7-8 

(M) Operates to 96 St to supplement the (Q): Sep 27-30

(L) No service between 8 Av and Union Sq: Sep 20-23

(L) No service between 8 Av and Lorimer St: Sep 27-30

(J) No service between Marcy Av and Broadway Junction (Split service operation): Sep 7-8

(N) Manhattan-bound service is local in Brooklyn: Sep 7-8, both directions: Sep 14-15

(N) Astoria-bound overnight service operates via Bridge: Sep 14-16

(N) Astoria-bound service operates via West End in Brooklyn: Sep 21-22, Coney Island bound: Sep 28-29

(N) Operates via Montague tunnel, both directions: Sep 28-29

(Q) No service between 96 St and Prospect Park: Sep 27-30

(R) No late night service between Whitehall St and Atlantic Av-Barclays; trains run express between in both directions Atlantic Av and 36 St: Sep 13-16

(S) Franklin Avenue- Service is suspended entirely: Sep 13-16

(SIR) Single tracking between Prince’s Bay and Arthur Kill: Sep 7-9, 14-16

Enjoy!

Just saw it and yep the (M) is every 12 minutes. Transit will never learn and those trains will be JAM-packed

On 9/6/2024 at 8:39 PM, S78 via Hylan said:

Quiz for y’all: why does (C) via 6 Avenue and (A)(E) via 8 Avenue make more sense as opposed to any other combination (like (A) on 6 Avenue or (E) on 6 Avenue)? 🙂

15 hours ago, CenSin said:

Quiz for y’all: why does (C) via 6 Avenue and (A)(E) via 8 Avenue make more sense as opposed to any other combination (like (A) on 6 Avenue or (E) on 6 Avenue)? 🙂

Cause they don’t want to run more than Service’s on the same track on Weekends? I don’t think thats the answer but if it was, thats a bogus excuse…

but if the Cranberry Tubes are to be shut down, then how would the (A) remain on…

Now I’m confused.

1 hour ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Cause they don’t want to run more than Service’s on the same track on Weekends? I don’t think thats the answer but if it was, thats a bogus excuse…

but if the Cranberry Tubes are to be shut down, then how would the (A) remain on…

Now I’m confused.

The work is more than likely being done on the local tracks hence the (A)(E) being sent downtown via express. They probably figured that was more efficient than sending everything down 6th Avenue.

There’s actually a very good reason for it, and it didn’t occur to me either until I worked out each combination.

• (A) on 6 Avenue, (C)(E) on 8 Avenue either prevents the local track from 50 Street to 23 Street from being cleared for track work or crams the (A)(C)(D) onto a single track at 59 Street–Columbus Circle.
  • (C) on 6 Avenue, (A)(E) on 8 Avenue (the plan) permits the local track from 50 Street to Canal Street to be clear.
  • (E) on 6 Avenue, (A)(C) on 8 Avenue prevents the (E) from terminating at World Trade Center; Spring Street is presumably out of service and 8 Avenue express is the only way to get to the terminal.
    • Depending on where the (C) switches to the express track, it may introduce a conflict with the (D) for just one stop―59 Street–Columbus Circle.
Edited by CenSin

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

There’s actually a very good reason for it, and it didn’t occur to me either until I worked out each combination.

• (A) on 6 Avenue, (C)(E) on 8 Avenue either prevents the local track from 50 Street to 23 Street from being cleared for track work or crams the (A)(C)(D) onto a single track at 59 Street–Columbus Circle.
  • (C) on 6 Avenue, (A)(E) on 8 Avenue (the plan) permits the local track from 50 Street to Canal Street to be clear.
  • (E) on 6 Avenue, (A)(C) on 8 Avenue prevents the (E) from terminating at World Trade Center; Spring Street is presumably out of service and 8 Avenue express is the only way to get to the terminal.
    • Depending on where the (C) switches to the express track, it may introduce a conflict with the (D) for just one stop―59 Street–Columbus Circle.

Yeah the switches are north of Columbus Circle, so for trains to go 8 Av Express they have to merge with the (D).